I think I have the dreaded Dinos

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have nitrates doing well and phosphate doing well. I’ve been dosing MB7 and phyto with pods. I’ve also gotten sponge excel and have been slowly dosing that to increase diatoms.

Things are going well. I’m seeing less and less bubbles and looks to be slightly clearing up with the Dino look and seem to be more diatom looking.
oh great Im glad to see you are having some progress

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am noticing my water seems more yellow. Is this just excess nutrients / algae? Should I run some carbon / purigen or something to clear it up? Or let it get all nasty to out compete the Dino?
I run carbon 24/7, I even ran it while dealing with alge. I would defiantly run carbon.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_Jake_Simek_ would you say chemipure or just GAC? I’m going to go tomorrow for it. I figured about 1/2 cup for 25 gallon?

it shouldn’t strip nitrate or phos right? I’ve been reading it shouldn’t too bad?

_Jake_Simek_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_Jake_Simek_ would you say chemipure or just GAC? I’m going to go tomorrow for it. I figured about 1/2 cup for 25 gallon?

it shouldn’t strip nitrate or phos right? I’ve been reading it shouldn’t too bad?
I run chemipure elite and it doesn't really have a big effect on nutrients for me. If you go with chemipure just keep an eye out for those nutrients, mostly phosphate for that stuff. If you are already struggling with low nutrients I would probably just go with GAC imo.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet I’ll probably just go with gac then to be safe. I’m doing daily testing so I’ll keep an eye on it

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_Jake_Simek_ It’s seeming like they are back and worse now?? It seems like they are disappearing more at night and coming back during the day.

it didn’t look like osteperosis in the microscope but I’m wondering if it’s changed?
It looked to be getting much better then swept back in. I have been adding silica so could be more diatoms but the bubbles look worse the past day.

should I try to add a UV?

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha or @Randy Holmes-Farley anything else I can be doing here? Seems like they are coming back more. I am going to start dosing much more of the sponge exel. It is 1 drop per 20 gallon to raise it .01 ppm. I have been dosing 6 drops so I guess only .06. Should I be dosing a lot more to get more diatoms?

does like Fiji mud or something else help? I know it’s a slow process but I want to throw everything at it. I don’t want to do peroxide yet as I’ve heard really good and not so good things from it.

Salo001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha or @Randy Holmes-Farley anything else I can be doing here? Seems like they are coming back more. I am going to start dosing much more of the sponge exel. It is 1 drop per 20 gallon to raise it .01 ppm. I have been dosing 6 drops so I guess only .06. Should I be dosing a lot more to get more diatoms?

does like Fiji mud or something else help? I know it’s a slow process but I want to throw everything at it. I don’t want to do peroxide yet as I’ve heard really good and not so good things from it.
Don't do peroxide just wait it out for a bit. When I was dealing with Small cell amphidium I dosed silicates and they is what helped turning everything around. I was dosing phosphates to make sure they were above .05 and nitrates always higher than 10. Having nutrients and the silicates will help the diatoms take over the dinos. It will take a while but hang in there. If you are able to add UV it will not hurt and it will make sure that no other strains of dinos take over. I also had a very young tank when I fought dinos but honestly it wasn't that bad. Just takes time. Always keep checking on the progress you are seeing. Good luck :)

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you practicing any manual removal in conjunction with your other efforts?
@TokenReefer I haven’t yet. I’ve heard such differing opinions in this and the amphidinium. I heard put it through a 1 micron sock then pour the water back in. I’ve heard it doesn’t do anything and just spreads it more etc

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm can't see the logic behind anyone saying to not remove them from the system. That alone is a technique (one that worked for me). If you knocked them back 50% by siphoning them out (re-use the water if necessary) and then use the other methods maybe they'd work even better. IMO manual remove is tops no matter what species it is...doesn't matter

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm can't see the logic behind anyone saying to not remove them from the system. That alone is a technique (one that worked for me). If you knocked them back 50% by siphoning them out (re-use the water if necessary) and then use the other methods maybe they'd work even better. IMO manual remove is tops no matter what species it is...doesn't matter
When you changed out water did you notice more blooms because the trace elements?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you changed out water did you notice more blooms because the trace elements?
Trace elements? Absolutely not. I'd love to read the science behind that.

The dinos are thriving because you have nothing (yet) that is strong enough to outcompete them. Keep removing them. Every time you do it gives the competition (which is your ally in this case) a chance to take over. That could be algae but you want that at this point. Algae can be plucked out or eaten by snails/crabs. Also coralline will keep dinos back so keep your alk at levels to promote coralline and i think you'll start seeing results. In fact higher alkalinity/ph is a technique noted by RH-F on this forum and that is simple to accomplish

Edit: Dose phyto which will compete at some level with dinos (at least in my mind) but is also beneficial to the rest of the reef

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO manual remove is tops no matter what species it is...doesn't matter
Totally agree that manual removal ought to be a major part of any intervention for any nuisance algae.

If you feel like the behavior or presentation of your dinos has changed, then you should definitely recheck with a microscope.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree that manual removal ought to be a major part of any intervention for any nuisance algae.

If you feel like the behavior or presentation of your dinos has changed, then you should definitely recheck with a microscope.
Yeah I'm not trying to re-write the book or step on anyone's toes here.

Just seems manual removal is never talked about in the threads. Lots of things being added with little mention of things being removed. Those doing removal probably aren't on the boards the next day saying it didn't work because it def does work and makes the tank look great. How long it goes until they come back is the piece of the puzzle to figure out imo. What will slow them down/stop them

Edit: in other words, a concerted effort is needed

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i am using sponge excel in my 25 gallon. I am wondering is their any way to over dose or get an accurate silica test? I’ve seen salifert don’t do much and I’d rather not have to buy a Hannah checker.

I have been dosing and it seems like diatoms are coming but I’m not sure the level I have in the tank and if it can be adverse to inhabitants.

I still think I’m seeing improvement aka less overall but for sure still there

Salo001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i am using sponge excel in my 25 gallon. I am wondering is their any way to over dose or get an accurate silica test? I’ve seen salifert don’t do much and I’d rather not have to buy a Hannah checker.

I have been dosing and it seems like diatoms are coming but I’m not sure the level I have in the tank and if it can be adverse to inhabitants.

I still think I’m seeing improvement aka less overall but for sure still there
I don't believe you can overdose silicates. For my 20 gallons I used to do 20-25 drops every day and it wouldn't be consumed within a day. Of course your tank would react differently so I would just check if u are able to see diatoms and less dinos under the microscope keep at it and remove the dinos if possible the diatoms will take over quicker and keep the dinos down. Good luck friend

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 31 is the first pic the second is today at the same exact time. The Dinos are retreating for sure. I barely see any anymore at lights out. My glass is so dirty (haven’t cleaned in over a month) that’s why it looks like there is stuff on the sand but really there isn’t much if any at all.

i am mixing up a fresh batch of saltwater and I’m going to do my first water change in over a month and pray to God that it doesn’t make them bloom again. I’m also going to dose silicate tomorrow morning to hope it over takes the space before dinos can

Attachments

• E0068039-EA14-48D7-9B4C-7FA32317E903.jpeg
    E0068039-EA14-48D7-9B4C-7FA32317E903.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 316793EC-4517-42C3-B02A-9AFF2F245051.jpeg
    316793EC-4517-42C3-B02A-9AFF2F245051.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 23

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back