I think I poisoned myself, help

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI. I am, by every definition of the word, a total noob. I've had my first ever salt tank running for a month now and today I bought my first ever corals, 3 zoa frags from my LFS. I brought em home, did my daily water change, and then prepared to dip them. I put on nitrile gloves, a KN95 mask with another mask over it, and some lab goggles from my chem lab a few years ago, and I opened my window slightly (I did Not turn on the fan, mistake #1 I believe). I bought a single packet of coral RX and poured it into the gallon of water from my tank (as recommended) and then added the frags one by one, pouring them into the mixture. The packet said to swirl them for 5 minutes, so I did. I put the lid on the bucket and swished but I stopped to check on them. It is here when I think things started to take a turn. One of the zoas had come off the frag plug. (I have confirmed it was just the glue and not damage to the tissue). I panicked, but didnt do anything and kept swishing for the rest of the 5 minutes. It is here that I think I made my grave mistake. After the dip, I grabbed each coral one by one and moved them to another container with saltwater from my aquarium. I did not keep them submerged when doing this. I swirled them in the new container and then set them in the tank. The one without a frag plug I just set down gently, I might get glue for it tomorrow and glue it back onto the plug. I carefully removed and threw away my gloves and then washed my hands probably at least 10 times with hand and dish soap, making sure to get my full arm. My arm became slightly itchy but it mightve just been from the cold of the water. I took a shower, scrubbing my arms more with the soap several times before getting out. Since then, I have had chest pains and issues, dizziness, nausea, and just generally feeling ill. the dizziness and ill feeling have gotten worse. I've been drinking lots of water and consulting my friend who is the assistant manager for the saltwater section at my LFS. She says I'm fine and that I just need to wait it out. I'm a generally anxious person and so at first I thought I might just be psyching myself out but now I'm not so sure. It's become harder to concentrate just since I started typing this. If anyone has any advice or tips I would really really appreciate it.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI. I am, by every definition of the word, a total noob. I've had my first ever salt tank running for a month now and today I bought my first ever corals, 3 zoa frags from my LFS. I brought em home, did my daily water change, and then prepared to dip them. I put on nitrile gloves, a KN95 mask with another mask over it, and some lab goggles from my chem lab a few years ago, and I opened my window slightly (I did Not turn on the fan, mistake #1 I believe). I bought a single packet of coral RX and poured it into the gallon of water from my tank (as recommended) and then added the frags one by one, pouring them into the mixture. The packet said to swirl them for 5 minutes, so I did. I put the lid on the bucket and swished but I stopped to check on them. It is here when I think things started to take a turn. One of the zoas had come off the frag plug. (I have confirmed it was just the glue and not damage to the tissue). I panicked, but didnt do anything and kept swishing for the rest of the 5 minutes. It is here that I think I made my grave mistake. After the dip, I grabbed each coral one by one and moved them to another container with saltwater from my aquarium. I did not keep them submerged when doing this. I swirled them in the new container and then set them in the tank. The one without a frag plug I just set down gently, I might get glue for it tomorrow and glue it back onto the plug. I carefully removed and threw away my gloves and then washed my hands probably at least 10 times with hand and dish soap, making sure to get my full arm. My arm became slightly itchy but it mightve just been from the cold of the water. I took a shower, scrubbing my arms more with the soap several times before getting out. Since then, I have had chest pains and issues, dizziness, nausea, and just generally feeling ill. the dizziness and ill feeling have gotten worse. I've been drinking lots of water and consulting my friend who is the assistant manager for the saltwater section at my LFS. She says I'm fine and that I just need to wait it out. I'm a generally anxious person and so at first I thought I might just be psyching myself out but now I'm not so sure. It's become harder to concentrate just since I started typing this. If anyone has any advice or tips I would really really appreciate it.
Hey I replied to your old post @footgal and I were on. What kind of zoa do you have? Can you post some pics? If they’re literally anything “pretty” and colorful then you’re most likely ok.

I’ve had palytoxin issues (mild ones) before and they’re always from big uglies like the ones in the pic I’ve posted. I promise if you had palytoxin issues you’d know. You wouldn’t be typing anything, my head felt like it would explode and between the puking and dizziness I could stand. But I was barehanded cutting big narly nasties like the ones below.

I frag my colorful zoa with just nitrile gloves and I routinely (like daily) handle my frags barehanded. The ONLY thing I won’t touch without gloves are my Paly Grandis. They do have a lot more toxin than colorful zoas but they’re unmistakeable for anything else.

Edit:. I understand how you feel. It’s likely not palytoxin but if you’re sick go to the dr. Could be literally anything else. Plus zoa aren’t really all that toxic unless you just flat out eat them.

4F9A2F79-7D92-4B4F-909B-D46F9E4CA938.jpeg

Radreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, I’ve lived 23 years on this planet and had anxiety pretty much every minute of it, so I get where your coming from. Based on what you said though, I don’t think your have to worry about any toxins. I frequently handle and frag my green zoas and my orange and green ultra zoas with bare hands(you should still wear gloves/ wash your hands after). As long as their not the drab brown-ish looking palys then you’re almost surely in the clear. That being said, if you think it’s an emergency you should get medical attention.

p.s. you ever tried 4-7-8 breathing? If not you should google it because it’s helped me many times with panic attacks and whatnot

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Health care person here:

You took proper precautions. You may have had a reaction with saltwater as I would many years ago as soon as my hand went into saltwater. But what my concern is - your symptoms you mentioned. Some symptoms of Pox and zoa poisoning are:
  • Flu-like symptoms – Chills, Fever, Headaches, Cough, Sore Throat, Chest Pains, Muscle Aches
  • Rash, Itching, Numbness in Affected Area
  • Trouble Breathing, Shortness of Breath, Runny Nose, Wheezing
  • Dizziness, Blurred Vision, Fatigue, Irregular Heart Beat
  • Possible Foul Smell or Bitter/Metallic Taste in Mouth
Me personally, I would consult with poison center 1-800-222-1222. It is free and confidential and they can assess your symptoms and make proper recommendations. Benadryl should help BUT speak with them first Before taking any medication.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Health care person here:

You took proper precautions. You may have had a reaction with saltwater as I would many years ago as soon as my hand went into saltwater. But what my concern is - your symptoms you mentioned. Some symptoms of Pox and zoa poisoning are:
  • Flu-like symptoms – Chills, Fever, Headaches, Cough, Sore Throat, Chest Pains, Muscle Aches
  • Rash, Itching, Numbness in Affected Area
  • Trouble Breathing, Shortness of Breath, Runny Nose, Wheezing
  • Dizziness, Blurred Vision, Fatigue, Irregular Heart Beat
  • Possible Foul Smell or Bitter/Metallic Taste in Mouth
Me personally, I would consult with poison center 1-800-222-1222. It is free and confidential and they can assess your symptoms and make proper recommendations. Benadryl should help BUT speak with them first Before taking any medication.
my first call when I got stuck by my Volitan.
of course that far back, Al Gore hadn't yet invented the internet.

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. I didnt get any good pictures at the LFS before I bought them but they are pretty and colorful. One is for sure a watermelon zoa. One is blue and orange and the other is pinkish. If they open up and i can get a good photo I will post them. I might call poison control if things worsen, but for now they've plateaued. I'd like to avoid hospitals if possible because i feel like they'd just assume covid. I think my anxiety might be playing at least a small role, or I have terrible luck (also possible)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the billionth time it’s not zoas to worry about, it’s the grandis palys
Not confined to Grandis only. Palytoxin is a very powerful toxin that can be contained in some Palythoa (Palys) and Zoanthid (Zoa) species. This toxin is used by the coral as a natural defense mechanism. Not all contain it and not everyone is susceptible to the toxin, but it can be very dangerous to your health if you are exposed to it and it could lead to life-threating consequences.
Good news is that it is rare and I cant remember last time we as hobbyists heard of a case of paly toxin poisoning but the risks are out there.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not confined to Grandis only. Palytoxin is a very powerful toxin that can be contained in some Palythoa (Palys) and Zoanthid (Zoa) species. This toxin is used by the coral as a natural defense mechanism. Not all contain it and not everyone is susceptible to the toxin, but it can be very dangerous to your health if you are exposed to it and it could lead to life-threating consequences.
Good news is that it is rare and I cant remember last time we as hobbyists heard of a case of paly toxin poisoning but the risks are out there.
Ya if one has an allergy to it, but again it’s almost always the grandis that cause issues not zoas yet everyone without a clue limos zoas into the categor of OMG IM POISONED HELP!!!

please....coming a healthcare person as well ;)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ya if one has an allergy to it, but again it’s almost always the grandis that cause issues not zoas yet everyone without a clue limos zoas into the categor of OMG IM POISONED HELP!!!

please....coming a healthcare person as well ;)
And I have a huge colony of grandis without any concerns. It is hit and miss

600g progress p.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back