reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181116_150053.jpg
20181116_150244.jpg

Is there a way to move this thread elsewhere to make it a build thead?

I got a coral beauty Angel :) I've been watching him for months at my lfs.

Also my tank. Eh.. I've noticed the dinos turning gray and I guess dying. The snails are then eating it. I assume that's a good thing?
I think I have bryopsis growing on one of my rocks. It's just sitting in the back corner, hasn't spread. How do I go about getting rid of it? I actually had it before and ripped it all out by hand and so far this is all that's come back
If the patch of bryopsis is small, just manually remove it. Pinch-pull with your fingers at the base. It shouldn't grow back. Otherwise its just hair algae.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a filter sock and a hose. I put one end of the hose in filter sock, with the filter sock in my sump. Then start a siphon with the other end in the DT holding the end of the hose in my hand i pinch off the algea and let the hose suck it out to the filter sock.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past day or two, literally all the algea or dinos or whatever it is has just died. I reduced my lighting and havent done a water change in a while. :)
Anyone know why exactly this happened??

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past day or two, literally all the algea or dinos or whatever it is has just died. I reduced my lighting and havent done a water change in a while. :)
Anyone know why exactly this happened??

Critical mass. IOW, your tank reached a balance between nutrients/bacteria/pests. It will get even better from here as long as you are consistent.

Congrats!

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria population multiplied and out competed the Dino's. Just make sure you keep the nitrates and phosphates consistent, if you see algae start to grow add a couple snails but not alot.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aslo not doing water changes the dinos probably sucked out whatever the dinos consume in the water. Give it a while before doing anymore water changes. Make sure you don't see any dinos if your are going to do a water change and make sure the new water has the same nitrate and phosphate levels as the tank water.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Mike, Now it's time to relax and start enjoying your system.

SLOWLY add the livestock you want and allow it to settle in. No drastic changes and stay the course on routine maintenance.

I am glad all of us were able to help and get you pointed in the right direction.

Time to start a new thread that is titled "Now, that I am for sure keeping my tank..."

:D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back