I think I should start over

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you! :)
I got all the rest of the salifert test things (calcium, mag, and alk). Should i use them?

You can but there isn’t a need yet. With the water changes and just the zoas....you should be able to maintain the parameters easily. You can always test, and there isn’t anything wrong with that but I would think the need isn’t very strong.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but there isn’t a need yet. With the water changes and just the zoas....you should be able to maintain the parameters easily. You can always test, and there isn’t anything wrong with that but I would think the need isn’t very strong.

Hmm alright. Well at least i'm prepared if/when i do need them. Also i was wondering, i have these little shrimpy looking things, i assume copepods, in my tank and sump. Tons of them. My clowns eat them. Is having so many a good thing? Id take a picture but my phones camera doesn't pick them up

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm alright. Well at least i'm prepared if/when i do need them. Also i was wondering, i have these little shrimpy looking things, i assume copepods, in my tank and sump. Tons of them. My clowns eat them. Is having so many a good thing? Id take a picture but my phones camera doesn't pick them up

Sounds like it. They are extremely helpful. They will work on eating algae, Dino’s, an integral part of the cleanup crew.

It may not seem like it but the rise in nutrients sounds like you are making progress.

@dantimdad

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cyano is the dominating growth, PO4 measurements will be off. I've battled cyano for a long time and what helped me the most was not disturbing the sandbed, not over feeding, running GAC, and dosing nitrates. I dosed nitrates liberally but tried to maintain a 5ppm dose. I did that for a few weeks before cyano started going away.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for some reason, I was not getting notifications for this post.

Where are we?

My nitrates and phosphates have risen, and the dinos look to be decreasing by a lot. Also noticed copepods, lots of them and was asking if theyre a good thing :)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates and phosphates have risen, and the dinos look to be decreasing by a lot. Also noticed copepods, lots of them and was asking if theyre a good thing :)

Awesome!

Sorry I missed the updates and haven't chimed in.

So for the real question: Are you happy with the way it's starting to look?

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cyano is the dominating growth, PO4 measurements will be off. I've battled cyano for a long time and what helped me the most was not disturbing the sandbed, not over feeding, running GAC, and dosing nitrates. I dosed nitrates liberally but tried to maintain a 5ppm dose. I did that for a few weeks before cyano started going away.

Thank you! Luckily i haven't had any cyano in a while. If it comes back ill remember your advice :)

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

Sorry I missed the updates and haven't chimed in.

So for the real question: Are you happy with the way it's starting to look?

Eh.. definitley happier than before. But i keep seeing others much more established tanks and just pray itll look like those one day :p
My livestock from copepods and snsils to my fish appear happier.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Luckily i haven't had any cyano in a while. If it comes back ill remember your advice :)
Oh ok. I thought that is what I saw in previous pictures from a couple weeks ago? Also, I see you said something about dinos but I don't see any confirmation, mostly speculation. Not a big deal as you are on the right path here but I guess your tank is doing great! :)

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas are probably grumpy from all the changes but will settle down.

Yes, copepods are a good thing!

Alright :)
I probably won't for awhile but i was wondering what other corals might be okay under low to medium lighting? (Thats what i have).
Eventually i will get 4 ai primes but i have to save money lol.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. I thought that is what I saw in previous pictures from a couple weeks ago? Also, I see you said something about dinos but I don't see any confirmation, mostly speculation. Not a big deal as you are on the right path here but I guess your tank is doing great! :)

Yeah, i did have cyano! But a few weeks ago i cleaned it off rocks and oddly never came back. So far what i have is some sort if dinos. :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far what i have is some sort if dinos. :)
What makes you think that? I never saw a major reduction in phosphates and sometimes having high phosphates can spur diatom growth which can look very similar. Typically, the only difference in dino growth is webbed like patterns similar to this image.
20170622_180225.jpg
20170622_180159.jpg

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up!!!! I would slow down the water changes for your tank too if you're doing a lot. Slow down on feeding.

BUT!! I recommend using this product, Dr.Tims Waste Away
1541642289173.jpeg

I highly recommend using this just go slow with it and make sure to keep the water aerated with lots of water flow and you could add a air stone for some exra oxygen. This bacteria is big and it eats other bacteria and also may eat dinos, but you should also add in other nitrifying bacteria.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend using this just go slow with it and make sure to keep the water aerated with lots of water flow and you could add a air stone for some exra oxygen. This bacteria is big and it eats other bacteria and also may eat dinos, but you should also add in other nitrifying bacteria.
I don't recommend this. The OP's tank is new and cyano is gone. Those are signs that dissolved organics are low. All waste away does is make detritus inert of nutrients and then proceeds with reducing more nutrients. I think this tank needs to stabilize for a longer period of time before any nutrient reducing bacterial products are dosed.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright :)
I probably won't for awhile but i was wondering what other corals might be okay under low to medium lighting? (Thats what i have).
Eventually i will get 4 ai primes but i have to save money lol.

There are a ton of low to medium light corals out there.

Also, keep in mind, that even with light a little bit less strong than you would like, you can extend photo period to compensate... to an extent.

I am not suggesting that you keep acros under low light at all. Just saying, once the tank is stable and things straighten out, we can go over what you like the looks of and give suggestions.

Start building a stocking list of what you would really like to keep. There are a lot of us that will help you get there.

BTW, don't add anything yet. We are on a slow and steady path to getting things right. Stay the course.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would continue with water changes/filter sock replacement every other day or so/keep skimming a little wet.

The water changes will removes the excess nutrients as you do them. The changing of the socks will remove caught nutrients and the wet skimming will also take out the organic quicker.

This is also perfecting your maintenance routine so that’s one less variable in the equation.

I may be in the minority but the increased nitrate/phosphate is a good sign.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back