I think I should start over

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer is it?

Clean the socks daily for the time being. It's going to suck, but everytime you clean them, you are taking nutrients out that they have caught.

Reading is not too far from here, but there are others who are closer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can get someone to sit your corals for you. What corals are they?

I will be here anytime you need me. Except during sleep. I'm old. I need my sleep. LOL!

I don't know the names exactly but they're zoas of some sort.
Thank you!

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a quarantine tank? a 10 gallon with some LED's will work just fine. they don't need a ton of light.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll work on the sock and skimmer thing too.
So basically for now I should turn the lights off, and keep up on the skimmer/filter socks?
I'll post some pictures tonight

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a quarantine tank? a 10 gallon with some LED's will work just fine. they don't need a ton of light.

Only extra tank I have is 5 gallons. They're small frags so would that work?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that small tank should suffice.

Keep in mind, you don't want to mix fresh salt water and just plop them in. Use water from your current tank.

You will need some water movement, light and a heater.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup more advice here pleas give us all the details You can type of test kits current readings ,live stock ,full tank shot algae & all, equipment, anything you can comeup with & pics please. don't be embarrassed of showing us the whole tank algae & all I assure you are not the only one.& remember your tank is still young! hang in there you solve this?it will make ya feel good !

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great questions above, I went through all of your posts and don't see any info on your tank besides 75gal and some other random stuff... I did see someone say that several occurrences of issues was all part of the cycle(ugly) phase and that is not true. Just cycled a tank with only limited dynos. Following along as well to help.

Not looking to derail here but would like to clarify my post. Those issues are not part of a cycle but are common in a newer and unstable tank which many would consider a tank < 12 months.

You've got some solid advice so far. Personally I'd keep it simple and focus on one tank. Zoanthids are pretty hardy.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Let's rest right here for today.

You can catch up with the suggestions tonight after work and then watch what happens.

You will be tempted to fiddle with things. It's hard not to but you have to resist. ;)

Keep us in the loop.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice here. As far as the skimmer goes, set it so that you get a tea colored skimmate. If it is a little lighter than that in color, you are fine, just don't let it get darker than tea colored for now. It's hard to resist messing with things, but if you take it slow, you will work this out.

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone, I'm at work :p
On lunch now so I'll respond a little bit. I actually have the rodi unit posted above. It takes forever to produce anything so my water changes aren't as often as id like. I use instant ocean salt. Is that okay? I'll when I get home I'll get the small tank ready for the corals . I'll post some pictures later .

OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my gf send me a picture of my tank to post here. I'll get more when I get home tonight.
Idk if it's clear enough, but down by the bottom, near the bottom of the front glass, there's cyano and some other algea everywhere. It's starting to creep up on the rocks.
On the back panel and on the overflow I had a ton of bryopsis. It was also covering the rocks. I recently removed as much as I could. But it's starting to grow back. Everyday algea gets worse on my front and side glass. I have nerites, idk maybe 15. Two turbo snails, ceriths, maybe 25-30, and like 10 hermits. Honestly none of them are very effective. I think the hermit in the sump has been more effective than the tank. I'll see if I can get the cloudiness too
IMG_20181013_083514.jpg

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. First let’s tackle the algae with a 5 day blackout.

This isn’t anything that hasn’t been seen on the site before. There is a variety of things that you can do, but still think the blackout followed by a series of water changes in the 30-40% range will be in play.

It will take some time, but it’s fixable.

Ps: Maroon Clowns are pricks. Mean jerks from what I have read

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back