I think im gonna lose my mind! please help

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank for 9 months or more now. 40g breeder. I have a clown fish a diamond goby a 6 line wrasse a scooter blenny and blue green chrosmis. I have some newish corals got them 4 months ago ish and some new. anyways I have a hammer a 2 chalices acropora and a leptosiris. all are doing great and showing growth. the issue is all the algae I have right now. my parameters have awes been good and have had only one snail and a sea urcin die. clean up crew still strong 5 emerald crabs 10 hermit crabs 5 random snails. but all my live rock... algae. had to move some frag plugs to a rack in the tank just so I can see em. I have tried carbon dosing. pulling out algae manually tooth brush method phosphate reducers silica reducers GFO. nitrate alwes .3 or less. tried raising peramiters and lowering them. nothing freaking algae. its even growing on my chato in its refugium. I do water changes once a week 10 percent. please help

LagoonLounge

loving the reef life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank for 9 months or more now. 40g breeder. I have a clown fish a diamond goby a 6 line wrasse a scooter blenny and blue green chrosmis. I have some newish corals got them 4 months ago ish and some new. anyways I have a hammer a 2 chalices acropora and a leptosiris. all are doing great and showing growth. the issue is all the algae I have right now. my parameters have awes been good and have had only one snail and a sea urcin die. clean up crew still strong 5 emerald crabs 10 hermit crabs 5 random snails. but all my live rock... algae. had to move some frag plugs to a rack in the tank just so I can see em. I have tried carbon dosing. pulling out algae manually tooth brush method phosphate reducers silica reducers GFO. nitrate alwes .3 or less. tried raising peramiters and lowering them. nothing freaking algae. its even growing on my chato in its refugium. I do water changes once a week 10 percent. please help
Do you have a picture of the algae so we can identify the strain?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your actual parameters and what test kits do you use?
What type of filtration and lighting do you use?
Do you does anything? Aminos, 2 part, how often do you feed?

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope that helps sorry bad camra

20190929_171709.jpg 20190929_171718.jpg 20190929_171724.jpg 20190929_171732.jpg 20190929_171740.jpg 20190929_171750.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there's nothing in the rocks I'd would just pull them and do a h202 dip to kill off the algae. As for the powerheads I'd do the same. Doesnt look like theres much rock in the tank and it looks pretty new.

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your actual parameters and what test kits do you use?
What type of filtration and lighting do you use?
Do you does anything? Aminos, 2 part, how often do you feed?
I have topic marina kit and also had local fish shop test my water. I am 0 ammonia 0 nitrite .5 nitrate .03 phosphate ph 8.0. they got same results with there kit. for Ca 450 mg 1500 alk 9.4 red sea kit. I test water before putting in tank all read 0 I do have test for silica but had a reducer in there for a week than took it out with no change.

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o yeah for lighting I have red sea reef 90 with blue 100 white 80 8 hour light cycle. filter I have tunze 9004 a one gallon refugium with light and chato I have a canister filter 2 gallon with carbon gfo and sponges bottom of refugium I have some more bio filter. and some in canister and its all stays clean.

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tuneze power heads 2x one puts out 1080 gph the outher 480 canister filiter with the media puts out about 400 gph the refugium 120 gph I think I have 30x turn over .. maybee

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk if this helps I use topic marin salt. distilled water. I live in a apt and have not been approved to a rodi to install yet or at all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Associated with light. I recommend 20-25% white and 70-75% blue. Water flow helps and what method of water movement do you have.
MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is your tank by chance at or near a window?

To alleviate, in addition to cleanup crew, add a conch or two, lawnmower blenny and possibly a sea hare if the LFS will take it back for partial credit. Liquid vibrant will help tremendously, but finding the source is most important.

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Associated with light. I recommend 20-25% white and 70-75% blue. Water flow helps and what method of water movement do you have.
MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is your tank by chance at or near a window?

To alleviate, in addition to cleanup crew, add a conch or two, lawnmower blenny and possibly a sea hare if the LFS will take it back for partial credit. Liquid vibrant will help tremendously, but finding the source is most important.
nah the room is pitch black. water flow two tunze power heads one pus 1080 gph 480 gph i clean almost every other( take algae out of it). thanks for the advice on the clean up crew ill beef it up. I can get more clean crew next week. what kinda algae you think it is? seems like hair algae some slimy to touch some rough/ scratchy.

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id buy rodi from someone local if I was you sounds like its your water.
called everyone in a 40m radius couldn't fine anyone im just hopping on the rodi unit to get soon I might talk my friend to let me install it at his house.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
nah the room is pitch black. water flow two tunze power heads one pus 1080 gph 480 gph i clean almost every other( take algae out of it). thanks for the advice on the clean up crew ill beef it up. I can get more clean crew next week. what kinda algae you think it is? seems like hair algae some slimy to touch some rough/ scratchy.
Hair and slime associated with lights and nutrients. Cut back feeding and feeding amount.

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I think my wife over feeds jk =p we do a half a cube of myiso one day the next a vary small amout of pellets. maybe myiso every 2 days do pellets only one day between myiso? im just afraid my acropora will not get enough light if I turn them down. I will ramp them down though to try it out. and keep working on the rodi. I just feel like im going nutts ill put litteraly all the algae out of the system and with in two days looks like in the pics. so I have to wait till my next day off till I can go nuts on it again than boom back. system was fine than all of a sudden this kinda just happened

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk I think the readings im getting are way off cuz of how much algae I get

OP
OP
King Turkey

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if your nitrate and phosphate are undetectable
it would make scence I mean if the algae is consuming it super fast. idk though. the way the algae grows bad its like instant. like 12 hours and it is in the tank again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back