I think it's time for a refugium, I need some advice

ellismac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I believe it's time for a refugium. I have been slowly trying to update equipment ($$$) as this tank has all outdated equipment. I have been adding corals, and I have read all about the benefits of a refugium, the tank has been well established for about a year. I'm wondering if I should get a hang in tank refugium or try to retrofit my sump tank and put one in the sump.
a couple key notes: Tank is a 72g bow front. The sump is old (came with the tank) - I would really like some suggestions on how to make it more productive and a better system (it has bio balls in it)
Is it possible to create a new chamber in the sump for a refugium? I have been doing some research and some say to put the input line in the refugium without a filter?
Also, how can I make my sump better, I know bio balls are outdated I just don't know what direction I should go in because it seems like no matter what, I will need to alter my sump.
I am a little lost on what I should do to move forward with a better set up for my little ocean.

IMG-3049.jpg IMG-3048.jpg IMG-3047.jpg

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just keep in mind that a lot of times a refugium = more work, not less. That said it CAN be a cool way of controlling nutrients but it isn't guaranteed. It's also a good way of growing unwanted algae in your sump. If you're one of those ocd reefers that can't stand a dirty sump (like me) they're more trouble than they're worth. They definitely have benefits like housing for pods. Another drawback is they will use a lot of trace minerals, making it harder to keep your system balanced. Just know these things before you jump in head first. I'd replace the bio balls with a brightwell or marine pure block.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get it growing well, then a refugium is great, But there are some things that you need to be aware of.

The size of the refugium can be important. A tiny refugium on a big tank isn't going to do much. It'll use up some nutrients, but it's not going to solve your problems. The bigger the tank(which assumes a bigger bioload), the more surface area/algae growth you need. So I doubt a hang on refugium is going to accomplish much of anything in terms of nutrient control.

The quality of the light is super important. You are not going to have success going down to lowes and getting a CFL light and a metal clamp light. You need a powerful grow light. Although if your nutrients are lower, you'll probably want to tune that light down a bit.

Macro algae can be hard to grow. For the past year my refugium was mostly just hair algae. It worked for the most part, reduced my nutrients, but not great to harvest. Chaeto never grew despite trying multiple times. This may not be an issue any longer as I am using a dosing method that targets specific elements. But it pretty much sucks when the only thing that is growing is algae on your chaeto. Currently I am using calupera, it's growing well. But again, this may also be related to my new dosing.

And while if done properly a refugium can take care of 100% of your nutrient export, the more likely result is that you'll only get partial control. Which I personally think is great, the more I can take care of this way the better because there are other benefits besides nutrient control. Just keep in mind that you'll still want your skimmer probably, and you might be looking at other methods to export nutrients still.

Your sump doesn't look like a good fit to me, even if you changed things around it seems space limited. And as I mentioned above a HOB isn't going to accomplish much, save your money. I think the bowfront just isn't optimal for space below.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheapest DIY solution...dollar a gallon petco tank and a Fiji Cube baffle kit...home depot grow light bulb in a clamp light

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing wrong with going "old school" if it's working for you.
is something not right with your tank?

option to a refugium would be an algae scrubber.
pull the bio balls and use that area for a scrubber.
@SantaMonica has many options.
i'm preferable to the floating ones.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An algea scrubber may be ideal with his limited space. I didn't think of that.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I completely agree a scrubber would be the best use of that space they are not hard or expensive to build and iv been running one since I found them 7 years ago and wow do they work (sometimes to well so size it to your tank)

OP
OP
ellismac

ellismac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just have some nitrate issues, as many times as I do a water change, which is every month over a 2-week period and I do a double change at 30 gallons so 60 gallons total over 2 weeks. 30 gallons 1 week and 30 the next. I can never seem to get the nitrates down to an appropriate level. I am not over feeding, in reality I am worried I am not feeding the fish enough, and with the addition to corals I want to make sure that my levels stay consistent. So I am led to believe my sump is not doing an appropriate job.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would remove the bio balls and replace it with an algae scrubber? No marine blocks or anything?
depends on what you have in the DT.
you have rock in the tank?
and no on the ceramic blocks.
they leach aluminum.
sea chem matrix if you need to use something.

OP
OP
ellismac

ellismac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on what you have in the DT.
you have rock in the tank?
and no on the ceramic blocks.
they leach aluminum.
sea chem matrix if you need to use something.
I have live rock, and sand/gravel substrate.
I know big part of my algae issue is the natural light coming through the window next to the tank so i need to get a black out curtain for it. But again, I feel my sump could be better quality, just need some advice as to how to change it up.

Attachments

• IMG-3054.jpg
    IMG-3054.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 20

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally don't think you need to replace the bio's if you remove them.
mexican turbo snail are power algae eaters.

Back