I think my RBTA is dead... Can it recover?

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got an RBTA yesterday. Acclimated in the morning and was looking good until the light out last night.
IMG_20210116_185147_830.jpg

And this is how I found it this morning.
IMG_20210117_154039741.jpg

Is it dead? Or can it recover?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can completely deflate and look dead when it flushes its tissue, as often happens when acclimating to a new tank--but from the pic, it looks like it is decomposing (the white stuff at the top of it).

Keep an eye on it, and test for ammonia--if it is truly dead, your ammonia will jump very quickly, so It's important you keep an eye on that. If it continues to decompose (gaping mouth with white and brown stuff coming out if it) pull it out immediately, as it is dead.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can completely deflate and look dead when it flushes its tissue, as often happens when acclimating to a new tank--but from the pic, it looks like it is decomposing (the white stuff at the top of it).

Keep an eye on it, and test for ammonia--if it is truly dead, your ammonia will jump very quickly, so It's important you keep an eye on that. If it continues to decompose (gaping mouth with white and brown stuff coming out if it) pull it out immediately, as it is dead.
Tried to look for the mouth and I can't see it.
:(

Thank you. Just tested ammonia and seems to be 0 for now.

I'll keep an eye on it

Bajie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a tank split rbta.
Would and still deflates in the evening, not quite as bad as your one but the first few days were worrying.
It attached almost immediately and has not moved since. I have only started feeding with a small piece of shrimp in the last week.
If the nem is not moving around and your parameters are stable, i would keep monitoring but leave alone while acclimation continues.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back