I think we may have got a bit of Palytoxin poisoning....

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I decided to do a tank make over on my wifes 28 g BioCube, previously I removed the back chambers to add more depth. All I had on it was a Koralia one and a heater. I recently picked up a small sump in a trade that fits perfectly in the stand so I wanted to drill the tank and add the sump. The tank is full of z's n p's.. so removed them into a cooler and emptied the tank to drill it. When done I placed the corals back into the tank and some spiked up pretty badly.

Now here is the issue.... The return pump I put on the tank is a Rio 1700 so the flow was ripping through the sump to say the least.... Thus causing some of the water to kind of vaporize when dumping into the sump from the drain. This morning both me and my wife woke up with terrible headacheslots of sinus pressure, and tight throats.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cone over ill make you some chicken soup. Whenever I get any type of palytoxin infection on eyes or cuts (it happens quite often :'( ) I take anti allergic medicine like ambien. If its a cut and you see puss the you need antibiotics.

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cone over ill make you some chicken soup. Whenever I get any type of palytoxin infection on eyes or cuts (it happens quite often :'( ) I take anti allergic medicine like ambien. If its a cut and you see puss the you need antibiotics.

+1 ...........

misscoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought ambien was is a sleeping pipl.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard of one guy actually cooking his rock over the stove with zoas all over it! He ended up breathing in the palytoxin from evaporation, he was fine after a couple of days but that sucks! It should wear off. No anti venom I don't believe.

Last edited:

WVUreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had palytoxin ..diagnosed by a Dr....about 4 yrs ago.. had it in my thumb from cutting up zoas..My thumb swelled to 3x the size...was very red and sore..I had an irregular heart beat..and fast respiration..after a few day day my thumb pussed and the skin peeled..I would equate it to a mild venomous snake bite..well it took 3 weeks for it to return to normal..just my experience..

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha Now you know what make Josh so loony for zoa's!

We're feeling better now, and I replaced that pump so it isn't a whirlpool now...

worleyxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first coral (zoanthid frag..new to hobby) and I am genuinely nervous now whenever I stick my hand in my tank. I have an aquapod 24 and it had some horrible design flaws in the rear chambers so I'm always back there fidgeting the media to get the right flow. I have carbon and purechem but I still always have the slightest itch when I pull my hand out. I'm sure it's nerves/anxiety but man..it's annoying.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard of one guy actually cooking his rock over the stove with zoas all over it! He ended up breathing in the palytoxin from evaporation, he was fine after a couple of days but that sucks! It should wear off. No anti venom I don't believe.

I remember reading that also... Him, the wife, the kids, the dog and everything in the house got really sick.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah whenever I tell people stories like this that arent in the hobby. Telling them we have one of the deadliest toxins in the world in my living room.. I am labeled a psychopath.

Hope you and your wife feel better.. As I heard palytoxin can be real bad. Hence another reason I dont care much for Z/P's

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah whenever I tell people stories like this that arent in the hobby. Telling them we have one of the deadliest toxins in the world in my living room.. I am labeled a psychopath.

Hope you and your wife feel better.. As I heard palytoxin can be real bad. Hence another reason I dont care much for Z/P's

ahahaha... I think that's funny because I get the same response

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first coral (zoanthid frag..new to hobby) and I am genuinely nervous now whenever I stick my hand in my tank. I have an aquapod 24 and it had some horrible design flaws in the rear chambers so I'm always back there fidgeting the media to get the right flow. I have carbon and purechem but I still always have the slightest itch when I pull my hand out. I'm sure it's nerves/anxiety but man..it's annoying.
How big is your tank? If it's over 40g or so, I doubt a single healthy frag will harm you (assuming you're not cutting it or putting it on the stove, anyway.)

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whenever I reach into a tank I rinse my arm off in the sink. Used to be a fisherman. Saltwater will make you itch a little and it dries a little sticky. Same as swimming at the beach, you need to rinse off.

worleyxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? If it's over 40g or so, I doubt a single healthy frag will harm you (assuming you're not cutting it or putting it on the stove, anyway.)

It's a 24gallon aquapod

worleyxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mikej I too fish all the time and am used to salt drying on my arms. This is a different sensation. I feel it's just paranoia of having my first frag and learning of palytoxin.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back