I would like to take a moment and welcome Reef Diaper as the newest sponsor of the Reef2Reef community!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BourbonLegend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using these a couple of months ago and so far have a great experience with them. They are on the thin side and don't seem to trap as much brown gunk as the much thicker felt socks. They are very easy to change and I consider the waste low since the ring holds the thin filter material which is the only part that is disposed of.

This being said I believe these are made from the same poly material that conventional felt socks are. Conventional filter socks do wear out, require a lot of water to clean, and have a much larger mass when they must be disposed of. I purchased poorly made socks that went in to the garbage prematurely because they sucked. In the end there will always be waste. It would probably take ten of these socks to equal the mass of a conventional sock plus no plastic ring to dispose of.

With these socks I have don't have to worry about possibly contaminating my tank with chemicals that could remain in my washer (diesel mechanic by trade). Cheap conventional socks tend to "pill" in the wash leaving fluff balls to clog my pumps. Look forward to a possible different material in the future but unless you consider standard felt socks to be immortal I don't see this being more wasteful.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, um, are these compostable? 'Cause if they are to be thrown in a landfill that would be a terrible waste of usable bio waste and an abuse of the planet in a landfill or just send out onto the ocean which I think most of us here would not appreciate.
No worse than filter rollers. Same material. Plastic part is reusable

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the right attitude, we have to be able to step back and weigh pros and cons of our choices.

Some people may have to choose the "worse" options for whatever reason, but if you can, you should try to do whatever is best for the environment and the sustainable continuation of our hobby.
No worse than fleece rollers, are you on their site protesting them?

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I'd ask for is a little more honesty about any other avenues being explored
(I would imagine some sort of paper coffee type filter could be developed).

Perhaps some sort of "for each sale we do X to help the environment" ?

I understand the delicacy of putting a sponsor on the spot or in a bad light, but that is our responsibility as a community, especially one with such a spotlight on us constantly over our environmental impact.
Again, are you on the fleece rollers bashing them?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worse than fleece rollers, you on their thread bashing them?

I am not bashing, I am stating all products like this should not be used or promoted. Fleece rollers included which I dont use.

Of course this is an extremely useful product, but people are just lazy and its destroying whats left of the ocean. Hobby will be gone soon because of the destruction its causing.

Edit, wow are you a fleece roller advocate or something?

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure am, they are awesome. But all of a sudden some keyboard warriors think they are above everyone else and need to make comments. I've never seen a post like this on their forums. But for some reason people like to speak without even looking into a product. If your goal is just to bash the wasteful part of this hobby...you are in the wrong hobby!!!! people are just trolling. Keep your negative to yourself
I am not bashing, I am stating all products like this should not be used or promoted. Fleece rollers included.

Of course this is an extremely useful product, but people are just lazy and its destroying whats left. Hobby will be gone soon because of the destruction its causing.

Edit, wow are you a fleece roller advocate or somethin

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure am, they are awesome. But all of a sudden some keyboard warriors think they are above everyone else and need to make comments. I've never seen a post like this on their forums. But for some reason people like to speak without even looking into a product. If your goal is just to bash the wasteful part of this hobby...you are in the wrong hobby!!!!

I am the keyboard warrior!? Make sure you scour this thread and comment on everyone's post that sees this hobby differently than you.

Its hard to be environmentally friendly in this hobby, no doubt. But we can try, no? :)

Oh also, make sure to add your laughy emoji to every post. It reinforces your argument.

Last edited:

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, trolling keyboard warrior is the exact definition of what you're doing. It's not about seeing it different, it's about trolling a vendor because you don't like what they do. Just don't buy. Simple enough.
I am the keyboard warrior!? Make sure you scour this thread and comment on everyone's post that sees this hobby differently than you.

Its hard to be environmentally friendly in this hobby, no doubt. But we can try, no? :)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, trolling keyboard warrior is the exact definition of what you're doing. It's not about seeing it different, it's about trolling a vendor because you don't like what they do. Just don't buy. Simple enough.

I think you are confused. But people like you have been ever prevalent in recent history. Not worth discussing anything. Good day :)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They fit Perfect in a Bashsea Signature sump and are quiet.

B94E2C30-9C43-4077-9AFB-8048E804BA17.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of fighting about a diaper :p The company said they would keep an eye out for biodegradable materials which may work for this application. If they could find one, they would certainly gain some fans. Discussion and criticism is good... it is how we can innovate better things.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt the entire point of a vendor posting a new product in a forum like this to get feedback, both positive and negative? Pointing out the waste aspect is the exact type of comment a vendor should welcome. It gives them ideas for future improvement. If a vendor doesnt want any negative feedback, then just place an advertisement. Forums are for conversation, no? To its credit, this vendor has answered the waste questions honestly and directly which is great.

There is a distinction between mindless bashing or trolling and legitimate feedback/ constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt the entire point of a vendor posting a new product in a forum like this to get feedback, both positive and negative? Pointing out the waste aspect is the exact type of comment a vendor should welcome. It gives them ideas for future improvement. If a vendor doesnt want any negative feedback, then just place an advertisement. Forums are for conversation, no? To its credit, this vendor has answered the waste questions honestly and directly which is great.

There is a fine line between mindless bashing or trolling and legitimate feedback/ constructive criticism.
I can see concerns about a product, but making light of it before even trying it is not conducive to new sponsors. These are no more a problem than fleece rollers. Plastic bags for fish and corals, or any other powder or chemical that comes in a plastic container. It is a novel idea and rather than dropping bombs on them, maybe be more suggestive rather than bash or complain without something positive to say.. I myself, WOULD use these. I live in a landlocked area and know where all my trash ends up. Not a problem for me.. Not everything is going to be recyclable or biodegradable.. and idea needs to get fleshed out and looked at for usefulness. A company needs to recover development costs before it can move forward. Recyclable materials might have already been on their radar.. Its a reasonably novel idea.. Use it or dont use it, but it is no worse than most of what we already buy. But dont trash an idea because it doesnt fit some particular personal moral code. I dont have a problem with your personal post.. this is more intended for those that have spit on it from the outset.

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when the cordless drill was invented and got my first one. I also remember when scrubs waterless cleaner was invented. Reef diapers are a life changer. Love them

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%

Back