IceCap 1K Gyre Flow Pump

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this newer product out by IceCap the 1K flow pump and wanted to share some opening the box pics of it.
Basics are it has a max flow of 950GPH
Power is 4-18 Watts
Tank size is 20-50+
Glass can be unto 1/2 in
So Icecap has leased the Gyre technology and name from Maxspect and are releasing some nicely built flow pumps using the tech. I have not used mine as of yet so can't talk about how it works as of yet. However, I did plug it in to check out the sound and the screen on the controller and was impressed. Over all it seems like it is going to be a great add to smaller aquariums and on a budget at that being only $129 price point. I was impressed with the extras they put in the package as you will see in the pics you get seals, end caps, screws(for the controller) and fish saver socks to put over the impeller area. The controller size seems a bit bulky to me, but the small form factor of the pump itself more then makes up for that where it counts the most.
IMG_1771.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! let us know how you like it!

Plan to try two of them one on my reef tank which is a bio cube29 and my planted tank which is a 75gal. Using an echotech mp10 now which I love and is doing great but thought this was worth a try.

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan to try two of them one on my reef tank which is a bio cube29 and my planted tank which is a 75gal. Using an echotech mp10 now which I love and is doing great but thought this was worth a try.

IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG

Well put it in the bio cube to start. Have attached pics so you can see it next to my mp10. I turned off the mp10 but don’t plan to remove it yet. When I first turned on the 1k it is set at 50% and the flow was facing down (instant sand storm) I adjusted the flow direction then tried the different settings. In a small biocube most of the settings over 30-40% are just to much for the tank it seems but once you find what seems to be a good flow it does move the water well. I could see this doing great in longer tanks.

partlycloudy531

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG

Well put it in the bio cube to start. Have attached pics so you can see it next to my mp10. I turned off the mp10 but don’t plan to remove it yet. When I first turned on the 1k it is set at 50% and the flow was facing down (instant sand storm) I adjusted the flow direction then tried the different settings. In a small biocube most of the settings over 30-40% are just to much for the tank it seems but once you find what seems to be a good flow it does move the water well. I could see this doing great in longer tanks.
Thanks for the update. If you had to pick between the Gyre and the mp10 which one would you go with?

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG

Trying to program this thing is a pain and the directions stink...love the flow and water movement tho in my 32cube

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to program this thing is a pain and the directions stink...love the flow and water movement tho in my 32cube

I found programming to be simple. You just pick the type of flow and then turn the dial to adjust percentages. How did you have a problem?

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s way over kill for a nuvo 20. Haha. I might replace mine.

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well like I said you’re amazing, instead of being a condescending jo how bout helping someone .... no I don’t not do I care

You never asked for help and the instructions have pictures so you can follow along. Not sure why you are calling me names because your having issues. All I said was I found it easy. Sheepdog refers to those of us in law enforcement/ military

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering replacing dual mp10s with two of these. They gyre has a wider output right? How about water drawing into it though? Does it seem to be coming from just the width of the gyre, or further out the the sides? Also it seems the units seem to physically protrude further into the tank than than the mp10s. How noticeable is that when looking at the tank from the front? Lastly, have you tried running it vertically? Thanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back