IceCap 1K Gyre Flow Pump

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really doubt it

FWIW, I am planning a single 1K with dual returns in a 45 gallon. You could always add one later if you find the need.

EDIT: mine will be bare bottom as well.

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share the schedule you came up with?

4096E15A-A3BE-435B-9ACC-518F2D68E6AB.jpeg

6A7416CF-D330-4A17-90FD-5B89B4660224.jpeg

D2430FD1-31E7-47F1-B874-B510BE71BE7F.jpeg

3E10BD77-6888-41F4-B626-95C706FC32B4.jpeg

07433613-6FAD-46EB-A9F7-5C91FFDA16CD.jpeg

9A756566-329F-4373-9BCF-20FA9990D5CE.jpeg

C4F3314B-A0ED-45A1-BA3A-4C736CA739E4.jpeg

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone else recommend flow settings? I curious what mode everyone is using and time in low and high speed.

mypaintrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's one in my 35 gallon... Still tweaking as the frogspawn is not quite happy yet after a week. Otherwise this thing is great, replaced 2 hydors.

This is in alternating Gyre mode at 40% with both blades still on running verticle and from back right of tank with flow pushing toward front.

This one is the torch only:

OhioCLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm that there is a Adjustable Feed Mode to set that is more than 10 minutes?
When I feed live brine or blackworms, I'm looking to either hit the lowest (10% on the IceCap 1k I believe) or adjust a feed mode.
- I like the 1k product reviews so far. I think this 1K is more quiet and people seem to like it more so than the Maxspect product as far as I've read for reviews. Still trying to figure that one out.

Some Tunze product videos have teased the idea of being able to stay in motion at the lowest-of-low setting speeds then resuming higher normal speeds with the use of a second controller.
I have a bunch of Tunze 6040 units, and just tried the 7000 and it's been a wireless modem connection issue staying connected and such, so I'm looking to step back into pushbutton manual settings.
Going that high tech was a bit too much I think.

I'm not sure if I'd have to set the timers in the 1K to do those low speeds at precise hours in the day, then be a good keeper by physically being there to feed or just find products with adjustable timers.

I found a product on Amazon that will turn off my Tidal filter for a set amount of minutes (20min) and come back on, while not sucking in my Live Brine.
The only issue was that over time a powered-off Tidal filter did not come on one day due to either build-up or a small pest snail crawling in the unit that was completely off.
An impeller running on low usually keeps hitchhikers off the equipment for a full start up each time if that makes sense.

The small pipefish are a bit picky and seem to do well with the 20 minute period.

Thanks.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, would love to get the opinion from you guys on this;

For a barebottom 50 gallon mixed reef, do you think I'd need two of the 1k's?
Depends on what else you have. I have a 1k on my 29 cube and it ramps to 100% part of the day. I also run a jebao sw2 and koralia 250 plus return.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's one in my 35 gallon... Still tweaking as the frogspawn is not quite happy yet after a week. Otherwise this thing is great, replaced 2 hydors.

This is in alternating Gyre mode at 40% with both blades still on running verticle and from back right of tank with flow pushing toward front.

This one is the torch only:

dig that torch soundtrack!

How are these 1K power heads now they have been out for awhile ???

ccolt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more thoughts on it thinking of getting a mp10 or one of theses ice cap 1k

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! I ended up getting a 3k. It is only slightly larger and slightly more expensive. The advantage of going bigger is that I can run it at a low speed - and so get very little sound. Mine is alternating m0de - both at 30%. I can't hear it at all.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more thoughts on it thinking of getting a mp10 or one of theses ice cap 1k

This thing is great if you're looking to run a high flow tank. I've got it in an IM40 with a lot of euphyllia and even at 10% it's clearing out all of my sand and making everything unhappy, and I'm only running one side. My SPS area loves it though lol. I've seen other people with similar comments.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG

Well put it in the bio cube to start. Have attached pics so you can see it next to my mp10. I turned off the mp10 but don’t plan to remove it yet. When I first turned on the 1k it is set at 50% and the flow was facing down (instant sand storm) I adjusted the flow direction then tried the different settings. In a small biocube most of the settings over 30-40% are just to much for the tank it seems but once you find what seems to be a good flow it does move the water well. I could see this doing great in longer tanks.

Have you tried mounting it vertically in the back corner? The gph are very different with a gyre because they move so much water. I have the 3K in a 93 cube and over 60% it's pushing water over the top.

A lot of people find them difficult to mount properly. Don't forget you can aim both jets at different locations to ease the flow hitting one area at the same time. For example, I have mine mounted diagonally on the back right (overflow is back left) and have one jet facing into open water while the higher jet bounces off the glass.

A lot of people position the jets facing the same direction which is what I found causes a harder placement area.

ccolt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts in a 29 bio cube I was thinking this gyre or a mp 10 in a mixed reef any thoughts which one?

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered IceCap 1K x2 for my 75 gallon reef I'll report how they work...plan is to mount them on back wall so they will create gyre back to front.... as that's where I have my Mp40wqd atm but cant hit all the spots just right with them

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Icecap1K x2 are in and running on the back wall of my red sea reefer 350. Let me tell you.... they are set on random mode to peak at 70%...these pumps move TONS of water and they very tiny in comparison to maxspect or even Jebaos crossflow... and most importantly they are dead silent... when they are on constant mode at 100% they barely noticable barely noticable...initially I am very satisfied overall cost,footprint and water movement as well noise.. will report after few weeks on how they are doing...I hope it helps...I will include pic as they sit in my tank shortly...

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was dead silent too. I mount it vertically in the back left of my JBJ 45 Flat Panel tank and it works beautifully. I use random flow generators on the dual returns and the gyre runs in a slow ramping pulse mode that I set up. Everything stays suspended in my bare bottom tank.

So here is the “trick” I use to get those results. First I will say, one thing that bugged me about most of the modes is the controller will not let you use adjust all of the parameters. In the pulsing and random modes, the ramp speed is preset to 0.4 seconds. I wanted a more gradual ramp. So what I did was set it up using the alternating gyre mode. This mode lets you set all six parameters. By setting the reverse speed to 0, I can create a gentler 2 second up/down ramping pulse mode. Additionally, with the 0 reverse speed, both sides of the pump run in the forward speed. Maybe this is obvious to do, but I mention it, FWIW.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine this week for a 40g breeder tank. I have it on continuous mode at 50% right now and it works great. What flow would be best for LPS corals? I want to play with the different modes and could use some advice!

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine this week for a 40g breeder tank. I have it on continuous mode at 50% right now and it works great. What flow would be best for LPS corals? I want to play with the different modes and could use some advice!
I would do random... set it and forget it imo

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered two of the k3 with the same digital controller for my 240 tank. my Goal is to remove all 6 of my Koralia 1250 gph pumps as they are starting to get noisy .

Would mounting them Vertically be best on each end of the tank or ???

Back