IceCap 1K Gyre Flow Pump

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO I would do 3ks in 75. The 1ks are nice, I run one in our 32 biocube but I don't think it would have enough umph for a tank that size. I run 2 3ks in my 144 and they do great.

So i had a couple people tell me that the icecaps have a stray voltage issue. But I haven't read anythign about that online. It does have me thinking of just spending the extra on a maxspect xf230

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had a couple people tell me that the icecaps have a stray voltage issue. But I haven't read anythign about that online. It does have me thinking of just spending the extra on a maxspect xf230
I have never heard that or personally never experienced that problem. If you find something that shows that please share.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard that or personally never experienced that problem. If you find something that shows that please share.

Yea I havent been able to find it either. That's why I like to post on here before buying lol. If some others had mentioned it I would lean towards the maxspect.

Coralvue is a pretty big and established company right? Cant see them knowingly putting out a product that did that.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I havent been able to find it either. That's why I like to post on here before buying lol. If some others had mentioned it I would lean towards the maxspect.

Coralvue is a pretty big and established company right? Cant see them knowingly putting out a product that did that.
I couldn't imagine they would, they are big and "if" there was an issue believe me....it would have been posted out here. Don't be afraid to call that company and ask if there are any known issues. Again, I'm happy with mine. You could post that question in a new thread and see if anyone chimes in.

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know if the 'outside' magnet is submersible? I would like to place it horizontal on the centre overflow.

Thank you !

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know if the 'outside' magnet is submersible? I would like to place it horizontal on the centre overflow.

Thank you !
We run one in the 3rd chamber of our Biocube with no issues. I done a search a could not find the answer. So, I just submitted a ticket to Coralvue asking the question and plan to share the response when I get it. :)

Questions asked: Are the dry side magnets on the 1k & 3k fully submersible? Are there any concerns of leaching or corrosion?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of this or experienced this with the 3k gyre we ran. Coralvue is also great to deal with so if an issue arises I'm confident they will handle it accordingly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gyre and will be running a few on the new tank.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make sure all questions were answered I went back and added @jaxteller007 question to the ticket.

In addition to the questions - we have one member of our group ask the following: So i had a couple people tell me that the icecaps have a stray voltage issue? But I haven't read any thing about that online.
Do you have any incedent reports on this issue?

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response from Coralvue-

Hello Jay,

Thank you for creating a support portal ticket.
The wet side and dry side magnets are safe to be submerged in saltwater. There are no reports of rust or leaching any elements into tank water from any customers or any test we have seen from our testing tanks.
Same can be said about any stray voltage coming from the Ice Cap Gyre family, We have not had any reports or concerns from customers Nor have I read anything online regarding someone having this issue.

Regarding stray voltage, Every system should be properly grounded using a titanium ground probe as every piece of electrical equipment we use is contacting water.
Saltwater is a conductor of electricity and may different types of equipment in the hobby will read a small amount of milli volts in the saltwater atmosphere, This would be normal and milli volts are often mistaken as voltage by many who do not know how to read a multi meter or understand the concept of milli volts VS Voltage leaking / straying into the water.
Full circle back to having a properly grounded system.

Hope this helps and answered everyone's questions. :)

Last edited:

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response from Coralvue-

Hello Jay,

Thank you for creating a support portal ticket.
The wet side and dry side magnets are safe to be submerged in saltwater. There are no reports of rust or leaching any elements into tank water from any customers or any test we have seen from our testing tanks.
Same can be said about any stray voltage coming from the Ice Cap Gyre family, We have not had any reports or concerns from customers Nor have I read anything online regarding someone having this issue.

Regarding stray voltage, Every system should be properly grounded using a titanium ground probe as every piece of electrical equipment we use is contacting water.
Saltwater is a conductor of electricity and may different types of equipment in the hobby will read a small amount of milli volts in the saltwater atmosphere, This would be normal and milli volts are often mistaken as voltage by many who do not know how to read a multi meter or understand the concept of milli volts VS Voltage leaking / straying into the water.
Full circle back to having a properly grounded system.

Hope this helps and answered everyone's questions. :)

Looks like I shouldn't have any concerns about running one lol. I have been meaning to get my tank grounded properly anyways.

Giddyup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am thinking of trying a Gyre, but on a 5.5 ft long tank... seems the 3k version would be needed. Interesting comments here on the 1K being almost dead quiet, coz hearing 3K quite loud as it goes [emoji20] My tank is 5 ft from couch in living room ☹️

Giddyup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much quieter, day and night! I cant hear my 1k. But they both push some nice water! I can only describe the 3k noise as being annoying during ramp up. I wish I would have taken a video when I added my sand. I used live sand and didn't rinse it, turned the 3k on and could see exactly how the flow was moving and where my dead spots were located. If I set up another tank I plan to adjust my flow in the cloudy water.

I use a cheap air pump and hold air tube just be fore impeller [emoji846] Temporary micro bubbles show flow pattern really well.

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still undecided, I'm a little afraid this will be too much in a reefer Nano. They are only 21 gallon. Will it work out or should I opt for a MP 10? Downside of this is the price tag and I can't put it in the centre on the overflow like I would with the 1 K.

Just afraid of a permanent sandstorm. Opinions?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are probably some nano options that I'm not familiar with, perhaps someone will chime in. The Icecap is actually rated for 20 gal. +. From what I read on the specs the 1k is rated at around 950gph & the mp-10 is coming in at 1500. I have never used the mp-10, but I can turn our 1k down to 10% at the controllers lowest setting which is way to low for our needs. I have ours ramping up to 50% placed at the top 1/3 of the tank without sandstorm issues. Any lower and it will move some sand as they all will do. I hope this helps.:)

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3k should be here tomorrow. Where should I mount it?
Right now my return is on the wrong side of tank. Its going to be redone to come back up the overflow like it should be.
20181110_164601.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to mess with it and find your sweet spot in the tank. Maybe utilze @Giddyup air bubble idea. My tank is a half moon so my placement with my scape will be totally different than yours. Your tank will be totally different then the next persons. If I were placing it in a tank your size and shape my first attempt would be hoizonally at one end and see how it works. I think placed in the middle with only 1 will leave some dead spots. Just my opinion. :)

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to mess with it and find your sweet spot in the tank. Maybe utilze @Giddyup air bubble idea. My tank is a half moon so my placement with my scape will be totally different than yours. Your tank will be totally different then the next persons. If I were placing it in a tank your size and shape my first attempt would be hoizonally at one end and see how it works. I think placed in the middle with only 1 will leave some dead spots. Just my opinion. :)

Yea I'm thinking on an end. Just not sure should it be going against the return or same side?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back