IceCap 1K Gyre Flow Pump

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm thinking on an end. Just not sure should it be going against the return or same side?
In my 32 using the 1k, I found opposite of the return worked best for me, but I started on the return side first. On the 144 my returns are in the middle and 2 3ks on both ends.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still undecided, I'm a little afraid this will be too much in a reefer Nano. They are only 21 gallon. Will it work out or should I opt for a MP 10? Downside of this is the price tag and I can't put it in the centre on the overflow like I would with the 1 K.

Just afraid of a permanent sandstorm. Opinions?

In that tank I would try it vertical at the lowest height level before sand is kicked up too bad.

The 1k can be run as a single propeller with a cap on the other side for nanos. 6.7” long if I recall.

EDIT: 6.75” long

https://blog.coralvue.com/icecap-gyre-1k-101-setup-installation/

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running it vertical with only a single propeller kinda ruins the symmetric image I have in my head. I visioned it horizontal as high as possible on the overflow. If this will not work in a 21 gallon tank maybe I would be better of putting mp10,s on both sides of the overflow. If only the price difference wasn't so big....and I never had a gyre type pump before, so I am kinda curious.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have it on the same end as the return right now (only side it will mount horizontally). But the return is going to be redone to come up the overflow anyways so it will end up being the opposite side.

What's settings has everyone been messing with? Right now it's on the gyre mode, -40% to positive 40%.

This is a standard 75G FOWLR tank but hopefully we add coral in the future. Right now we just have 1 piece of Duncan and it's on the opposite end of the gyre.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both models 1k and 3k. Im not sure how loud your Koralia's are but the 3k is pretty loud IMO, but I love the flow. Once I turned down the flow (30%) it was much quieter and still moves the water nicley in my tank. I have one set up in my 144 and installing my second one this weekend. I have seen these in action placed vertically and horozonally at the end of the tanks and on the back walls. Placed horizonally, it looked like it gave a nice sweeping flow and nice ripples on the surface. I am placing mine on the back wall at opposite ends vertically because of the shape of my tank.

Just put my 3K in my 75G. Trying to read up on good ways to have it set up now.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Congrats, so what do you think so far? They can move some water.

Seems pretty sweet so far. It's really not that loud either. But our tank is in the living room so there is always white noise from the TV and stuff anyways. I'm not having much luck on settings though. At least as far as what kind of flow (constant, gyre, random, etc) what %'s etc, people are using. Seems like I'm going to have to just experiment with it. I'm about to do the air bubble test and see if I have dead zones.

I tell you what, the fish (especially our chromis) seem to love the gyre flow lol. They keep going back and forth swimming into the current.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems pretty sweet so far. It's really not that loud either. But our tank is in the living room so there is always white noise from the TV and stuff anyways. I'm not having much luck on settings though. At least as far as what kind of flow (constant, gyre, random, etc) what %'s etc, people are using. Seems like I'm going to have to just experiment with it. I'm about to do the air bubble test and see if I have dead zones.

I tell you what, the fish (especially our chromis) seem to love the gyre flow lol. They keep going back and forth swimming into the current.
That's all you can do is experiment and mess with it, every tank is different. I tend to run the Gyre on both tanks. Im running 30% on the 3k's in my big tank right now, as I add corals and nems that number and setting could change. Glad to hear your happy with it.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all you can do is experiment and mess with it, every tank is different. I tend to run the Gyre on both tanks. Im running 30% on the 3k's in my big tank right now, as I add corals and nems that number and setting could change. Glad to hear your happy with it.

Do you alternate at different times of night or anything? All I'm really worried about right now is the fish and keeping the tank circulating well to help keep it clean.

I did notice that with it on gyre, it's sort of filling sand back into the whole the pistol shrimp and goby have. I'll have to keep an eye on that to make sure they dont get trapped.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I haven't played much but this is what I've found so far. When it's on the side of my tank where i tcan be mounted horizontally (which has it going with the return flow) the gyre pattern gives great coverage but fills up the hole nearby where our pistol shrimp and watchman goby have made their home. On the other side of the tank (going against flow) I can have it on either side of the overflow, mounted vertically. But it seems like even on the lowest settings it's too much flow for our Duncan. So it's either risk trapping our little fishies, have too much flow for the Duncan, or move the Duncan. I'm thinking moving the Duncan is the best option.

This isn't the best picture but it may help. The Duncan right now is on the rocks where the red arrow is pointed. The shrimp and goby's home is in the sand on the other side (sort of under the red circle). So on that far side the gyre can be mounted horizontal, but on the overflow side it can only be mounted vertically on either side of the overflow panel.
tank orientation 2.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate asking because you probably already know this but you know you can turn each head to adjust the direction of flow. You might be able to adjust the head in a manner that is misses the pistol or the Duncan. I'm always fine tuning the direction on mine.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate asking because you probably already know this but you know you can turn each head to adjust the direction of flow. You might be able to adjust the head in a manner that is misses the pistol or the Duncan. I'm always fine tuning the direction on mine.

I think I know what you mean...
So like where it was on the far end, set horizontally. It seemed that it was the negative flow cycle that was filling the shrimps hole. So I can adjust the head to affect that?

Or maybe I'm not sure what you mean lol. The instructions that came with it weren't exactly detailed.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know what you mean...
So like where it was on the far end, set horizontally. It seemed that it was the negative flow cycle that was filling the shrimps hole. So I can adjust the head to affect that?

Or maybe I'm not sure what you mean lol. The instructions that came with it weren't exactly detailed.

He means the two propeller casings can be positioned independently. So you can have two directions of flow, one from each propeller based on the casing’s orientation.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone happen to have a reasonably priced 3k for sale? I sent one to a friend and it got broken in shipping. Postal insurance is a joke. I'm trying to make this right. It was an early Christmas gift.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He means the two propeller casings can be positioned independently. So you can have two directions of flow, one from each propeller based on the casing’s orientation.

So apparently I dont know how to do that.

Also I thought the gyre flow was the alternating forward and back. But that's not right is it?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So apparently I dont know how to do that.

Also I thought the gyre flow was the alternating forward and back. But that's not right is it?

Gyre is the circular flow in one direction. Large gyres exist in the oceans. Alternating gyre means a gyre in one direction then completely reverse into the other. That can create a very turbulent flow depending on the timing. To get true alternating gyre on the 1k or 3k you need to buy the parts (or kit) from CoralVue to set matching propeller sets (unit comes A/B, alternating needs A/A or B/B).

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre is the circular flow in one direction. Large gyres exist in the oceans. Alternating gyre means a gyre in one direction then completely reverse into the other. That can create a very turbulent flow depending on the timing. To get true alternating gyre on the 1k or 3k you need to buy the parts (or kit) from CoralVue to set matching propeller sets (unit comes A/B, alternating needs A/A or B/B).

So you just twist the casings to adjust the flow right?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back