IceCap 1K Gyre Flow Pump

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine this week for a 40g breeder tank. I have it on continuous mode at 50% right now and it works great. What flow would be best for LPS corals? I want to play with the different modes and could use some advice!

Really depends on your rockwork too. For LPS I would bring it up slowly. That is a long tank for a 1k, I am curious how it does in that length. What other flow?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered two of the k3 with the same digital controller for my 240 tank. my Goal is to remove all 6 of my Koralia 1250 gph pumps as they are starting to get noisy .

Would mounting them Vertically be best on each end of the tank or ???

My rock work gives about 2-3” clearance along the back wall. The rock work is two islands. For that I find vertical works excellent. 1k on the left at gradual pulses of 20x volume per hour. I admit I have not tried horizontal yet. I have dual center returns at 16x volume per hour. Nothing settles on the bare 26.5 x 15.5” display bottom.

EDIT: I would try two facing each other vertically. If corals I add later need more flow I may add a second 1k that way myself.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered two of the k3 with the same digital controller for my 240 tank. my Goal is to remove all 6 of my Koralia 1250 gph pumps as they are starting to get noisy .

Would mounting them Vertically be best on each end of the tank or ???
I have both models 1k and 3k. Im not sure how loud your Koralia's are but the 3k is pretty loud IMO, but I love the flow. Once I turned down the flow (30%) it was much quieter and still moves the water nicley in my tank. I have one set up in my 144 and installing my second one this weekend. I have seen these in action placed vertically and horozonally at the end of the tanks and on the back walls. Placed horizonally, it looked like it gave a nice sweeping flow and nice ripples on the surface. I am placing mine on the back wall at opposite ends vertically because of the shape of my tank.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both models 1k and 3k. Im not sure how loud your Koralia's are but the 3k is pretty loud IMO, but I love the flow. Once I turned down the flow (30%) it was much quieter and still moves the water nicley in my tank. I have one set up in my 144 and installing my second one this weekend. I have seen these in action placed vertically and horozonally at the end of the tanks and on the back walls. Placed horizonally, it looked like it gave a nice sweeping flow and nice ripples on the surface. I am placing mine on the back wall at opposite ends vertically because of the shape of my tank.

I have heard that before about the 3k’s noise level. FWIW, my 1k is dead silent even at 100%. I can only barely hear it if I turn everything else off. I infer your 1k is much quieter than the 3k.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that before about the 3k’s noise level. FWIW, my 1k is dead silent even at 100%. I can only barely hear it if I turn everything else off. I infer your 1k is much quieter than the 3k.
Much quieter, day and night! I cant hear my 1k. But they both push some nice water! I can only describe the 3k noise as being annoying during ramp up. I wish I would have taken a video when I added my sand. I used live sand and didn't rinse it, turned the 3k on and could see exactly how the flow was moving and where my dead spots were located. If I set up another tank I plan to adjust my flow in the cloudy water.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks now with 2 1Ks and they are dead silent and great flow no complaints here ...cant be any happier for the price...imo I like them better than mp40wqd I had
df2795e8d6b3efdb134fb9b9285d8726.jpg

mr9iron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed mine vertical in the left rear, hidden behind my rock work, and have it set to random flow ramping up to 50%. I really haven't had time to try and program it or play with it yet but am liking the random flow thus far.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,

So last time i cleaned my 1k i pulled that plastic sheet off of the dry side magnet before i put my pump back in place. At the time I didnt realize how sticky that magnet is. I cleaned my pump yeaterday and realized that magnet is not going anywhere. Anybody know how to get it off without destroying it? Im not sure i want it in that spot forever...

Thanks

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So last time i cleaned my 1k i pulled that plastic sheet off of the dry side magnet before i put my pump back in place. At the time I didnt realize how sticky that magnet is. I cleaned my pump yeaterday and realized that magnet is not going anywhere. Anybody know how to get it off without destroying it? Im not sure i want it in that spot forever...

Thanks

The company recommends working it back and forth to loosen it. Did not work for me. I was worried I would pull my small tank apart. Luckily I placed mine initially where I wanted it.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The company recommends working it back and forth to loosen it. Did not work for me. I was worried I would pull my small tank apart. Luckily I placed mine initially where I wanted it.
Thats what im worried about. Looks like i might have to keep it their. Im not sure what im going to do when i get a new tank?!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Thanks
I have 3k new version and Had to slide a credit card between the magenet and glass

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now i have 2 (one one each side) of the Hydro Koralia 850 gph pumps. Was thinking about swapping out for a Gyre. Would one 1K be enough for a standard 75G reef ready? Or would i need two?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now i have 2 (one one each side) of the Hydro Koralia 850 gph pumps. Was thinking about swapping out for a Gyre. Would one 1K be enough for a standard 75G reef ready? Or would i need two?
IMHO I would do 3ks in 75. The 1ks are nice, I run one in our 32 biocube but I don't think it would have enough umph for a tank that size. I run 2 3ks in my 144 and they do great.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO I would do 3ks in 75. The 1ks are nice, I run one in our 32 biocube but I don't think it would have enough umph for a tank that size. I run 2 3ks in my 144 and they do great.

I'll have to check them out. Just wish someone local would sell them instead of me having to buy online, I get impatient lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back