IceCap Co2 scrubber installation

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a small hooked up to my skimmer for 2 years now and have not gotten the expected results. it was installed based off the BRS instructional video as there were no box instructions.

In this demo the skimmer intake is connected to the outer port, which is what I did.

I have searched for other reefers installs and have found a mix of outer port and middle port, most these pictures are right after installation. So I decided to hit up the BRS support team who are always helpful.

my results after 2 years using their install:
pH 7.78-8.2
Never had the media change color. I would just change it at 4months because I figured it was necessary.

My conclusion was that the middle port is the correct skimmer intake because the water added to the lower chamber needs to humidify the media and the only way for this to occur is if the humidified air is drawn up through the media.
IMG_8818.jpeg

irritated that it took me this long to put together a pretty simple thing, but it appears others are doing it the wrong way as well and that could very well be based on the BRS video as there are not many available instructions for install.

(10:41:30 AM) Brad: Thank you for your patience! Based off what I am seeing and what you are describing I do believe your orientation is correct as otherwise the side port will draw air through the water after passing through the CO2 media, not before which is what is needed for the media to do its job.
(10:42:01 AM) Brad: I will have to reach out to our video team and see if there is any chance they can update this

if there are other Icecap scrubber users not getting results, I hope this helps. I have only recently had my pH go below 7.9 and I have been working to reach and average of 8.3 so this has been on my mind.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I also have the ice cap small co2 scrubber and installed it with the skimmer intake going to the middle as that made the most sense to me as well.

I looked for videos on the product and Thomas Brs vid was the only thing I could find.

Lothar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Always wondered about correct hook up. Never had good results either. When I moved it to my new tank, I thought "I'm going to search and make sure this is the correct way". But what little I could find always showed the outside tube feeding the skimmer. Now I run it recirculating and don't know if it matters, but I get so much moisture in the bottom it plugs the tube and messes with the air draw to the skimmer.

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Always wondered about correct hook up. Never had good results either. When I moved it to my new tank, I thought "I'm going to search and make sure this is the correct way". But what little I could find always showed the outside tube feeding the skimmer. Now I run it recirculating and don't know if it matters, but I get so much moisture in the bottom it plugs the tube and messes with the air draw to the skimmer.
When I set this up I was irritated. Then I was ill and didn’t keep up with the tank for a while. Moved in the fall and have been getting the tank humming again and my pH is different here. I had 10 media bags in my reef boxes so I was like, alright let’s figure this out

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a small hooked up to my skimmer for 2 years now and have not gotten the expected results. it was installed based off the BRS instructional video as there were no box instructions.

In this demo the skimmer intake is connected to the outer port, which is what I did.

I have searched for other reefers installs and have found a mix of outer port and middle port, most these pictures are right after installation. So I decided to hit up the BRS support team who are always helpful.

my results after 2 years using their install:
pH 7.78-8.2
Never had the media change color. I would just change it at 4months because I figured it was necessary.

My conclusion was that the middle port is the correct skimmer intake because the water added to the lower chamber needs to humidify the media and the only way for this to occur is if the humidified air is drawn up through the media.
IMG_8818.jpeg

irritated that it took me this long to put together a pretty simple thing, but it appears others are doing it the wrong way as well and that could very well be based on the BRS video as there are not many available instructions for install.

(10:41:30 AM) Brad: Thank you for your patience! Based off what I am seeing and what you are describing I do believe your orientation is correct as otherwise the side port will draw air through the water after passing through the CO2 media, not before which is what is needed for the media to do its job.
(10:42:01 AM) Brad: I will have to reach out to our video team and see if there is any chance they can update this

if there are other Icecap scrubber users not getting results, I hope this helps. I have only recently had my pH go below 7.9 and I have been working to reach and average of 8.3 so this has been on my mind.

Thank you so much for this post! I just installed mine and was surprised that there were no directions and the BRS video above also seemed to show the ports installed backwards (?)

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed an improvement in performance since you made the switch?
TBH I just set mine up today and since there weren’t instructions I set it up the way I thought I it should work. Then I double checked online and found this post as the BRS video looked backwards to my install.
I’ll let you know if it raises my pH :)

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed an improvement in performance since you made the switch?
I noticed a pH boost but my media still isn’t changing color. I haven’t had time the last month to really track anything. PH has been 7.9-8.29. It’s for sure set up the right way now tho. I think the moisture in the chamber is something that I need to monitor closer for mass effect

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One interesting thing I have noticed is that as the medium became "moist", like the madame in the old golden horseshoe saloon, it gained effectiveness further than indicated on the graph above. My low end of my pH is 8.0 and the high is creeping slowly up over the last couple days. I looked and the media now has a nice pink 'humid' look, whereas before it was like a very chalky almost dusty consistency. Much like the Nevada desert. Out front of the golden horseshoe saloon.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One interesting thing I have noticed is that as the medium became "moist", like the madame in the old golden horseshoe saloon, it gained effectiveness further than indicated on the graph above. My low end of my pH is 8.0 and the high is creeping slowly up over the last couple days. I looked and the media now has a nice pink 'humid' look, whereas before it was like a very chalky almost dusty consistency. Much like the Nevada desert. Out front of the golden horseshoe saloon.

You are supposed to add 1-2 tablespoons of RODI to the bottom of a Co2 Scrubber.

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are supposed to add 1-2 tablespoons of RODI to the bottom of a Co2 Scrubber.
Correct.

Which is why I did that.

It seems like it takes quite a few days for the humidity to moisten/affect the media, the look of which is quite obvious now that I see it. I expected the humidity to go up faster/impact the media sooner. It’s been about a week and just noticing the impact now. In any case, yes it is working with the hook ups as described above.

Obdoc63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just hooked mine up last night and had no idea that you need to add RODI water to the lower chamber. IceCap needs to include some instructions

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the medium icecap scrubber and looked online for proper recirculating connection. Hooked it up where skimmer intake brings moist,humid air into the bottom of scrubber. Pre scrubber, my ph was 7.8-8.1.

After the first day, Ph held consistently at 8.2-8.45. After a week, I noticed Ph was dropping slightly and I figured media was getting used up even though there was no color change in the media.

Just happened to clean the skimmer cup thoroughly during a water change and my Ph shot right back up to 8.2-8.45. Repeated this a few times and it seems a clean skimmer cup at least on my IM desktop skimmer is important for proper scrubbing. YMMV

Port City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, any pictures by chance on how to set up this scrubber recirculating? I have the Nyos 120 and bought the outlet attachment so I didn’t have to drill plastic :)

I am pretty sure I have the correct idea, but would like to confirm with fellow successful reefers on the correct way. Thanks in advance.

Stephen Tully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have icecap co2 scubber I have the same problem put hose in the middle part of co2 scrubber but I don't know we're the other part goes because I have redsea skimmer also do you have to put water in it here
Is the way I set it up not sure if its
Right please send video thanks

Attachments

• 20231015_204026.jpg
    20231015_204026.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 93

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any actual detailed instructions on how to set up this scrubber?

I can't even figure out what size tubing it takes. I've asked BRS and in one message they said 3/8" OD, and in another message they said 3/8" ID.

What air pump have people been using? Is it necessary to connect an expanding adapter from the air pump to the scrubber?

Thanks in advance.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any actual detailed instructions on how to set up this scrubber?

I can't even figure out what size tubing it takes. I've asked BRS and in one message they said 3/8" OD, and in another message they said 3/8" ID.

What air pump have people been using? Is it necessary to connect an expanding adapter from the air pump to the scrubber?

Thanks in advance.
It could hook to an air pump but for best results your skimmer intake should pull from the scrubber.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back