IceCap Digital Pocket Tester Review

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping some vendor has them for sale @ RAP.

I am definitely interested in one over my standard refract and looking at these lines with my eyes which are slowly getting worse...

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a thread but decided to ask the same question here:

So after watching the video and finding that my local store had some in stock, I decided to pull the plug and grab one.
I have an issue with the reading I am getting.
I have three different refractometers that I have collected over the years.
All three have been calibrated using standard seawater saline at 35ppt.
All three refractometers give a reading on my water at 1.o27, just a bit high but all three agree on same reading. With the new digital icecap I get a reading of 1.021
A buddy is getting the same result with his as well, a bit perplexed.
When I get three different devices all giving me one reading and the other giving me a different result, I want to lean the way of the Icecap being the one that is wrong.
Any thoughts out there?

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine 2 days ago... Not overly joyful here about the product... 2 refractometers calibrated at 1.026 both give a reading of 1.025... Icecap 1.023. I can't have that

Confuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine a few days ago and just tried it out. Super easy to use and very accurate (compared to refractometer recently recalibrated)! I don't use the cap to hold the water, but instead, dip it in the tank, per other people's review of improved accuracy. One thing though...my fish try to bite and nip at the sensor. lol Not sure if that'll mess up the reading, but overall, I am pretty happy with the ease of use and portability.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their video calibration can be done by putting RODI water in the cup which should show 0.

Really? This statement applies to the Ice Cap device in this thread?

If true, that is really sad as zero conductivity alone CANNOT EVER be a suitable way to calibrate a conductivity probe. :(

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a thread but decided to ask the same question here:

So after watching the video and finding that my local store had some in stock, I decided to pull the plug and grab one.
I have an issue with the reading I am getting.
I have three different refractometers that I have collected over the years.
All three have been calibrated using standard seawater saline at 35ppt.
All three refractometers give a reading on my water at 1.o27, just a bit high but all three agree on same reading. With the new digital icecap I get a reading of 1.021
A buddy is getting the same result with his as well, a bit perplexed.
When I get three different devices all giving me one reading and the other giving me a different result, I want to lean the way of the Icecap being the one that is wrong.
Any thoughts out there?

Did you try the IceCap in that calibration fluid? What brand?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone compared to Pinpoint salinity monitor? About 50% more but it also can be calibrated.

Also have people checked temperature accuracy? I’ve yet to get 2 devices that display temperature to read the same 1.5 is a lot to me.

I've not compared it to the Ice Cap, but I've used and like the Pinpoint. It is not as fast to respond to temperature changes as my better meter (an Orion 128), and I expect it is only 2 electrodes instead of 4 on the Orion, but the differences in readings were not generally substantial.

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try the IceCap in that calibration fluid? What brand?

Ok a little slow getting back.
I used:
Sybon Scientific Instruments
(35ppt +/- 0.1%, 53 mS/cm)
Standard Seawater Saline
Icecap reads with this standard solution in provided cup as 1.021 , 27.8 ppt , 35.7 psu

Calibrated refractometer again with it, right on the money 35ppt with standard solution.
Tank water with refractometer 1.027 , 36 ppt

Icecap: tank water in provided cup 1.022 , 28.8 ppt , 37 psi
Icecap: directly in tank 1.024 , 31.3 ppt , 40.2 psu

So if I were to adjust salinity using Icecap, where would I end up in reality????

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to look again. but I thought the video mentioned purposely not calibration, as I remember they said there was no way to calibrate.
but to ensure" proper" operation if you put it in RODI it should display 1.000 as I believe it is the lowest the meter can display.

Tangdaddy911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok a little slow getting back.
I used:
Sybon Scientific Instruments
(35ppt +/- 0.1%, 53 mS/cm)
Standard Seawater Saline
Icecap reads with this standard solution in provided cup as 1.021 , 27.8 ppt , 35.7 psu

Calibrated refractometer again with it, right on the money 35ppt with standard solution.
Tank water with refractometer 1.027 , 36 ppt

Icecap: tank water in provided cup 1.022 , 28.8 ppt , 37 psi
Icecap: directly in tank 1.024 , 31.3 ppt , 40.2 psu

So if I were to adjust salinity using Icecap, where would I end up in reality????

Dave did you try testing in a cup outside of tank?
Since getting a reply from Coral Vue about not using the small cup provided and rather to test it with a glass cup or plastic container my tank water salinity test seem more on point with the other refractometers.

Using the cup provided it tests 1.024.
Testing the water from refuge which is not near any electrical devices but still connected to the tank it reads 1.026.
Testing in a plastic container away from tank it reads 1.027.

The test out of tank gives the closest reading so far so that’s what I will use when testing salinity.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this one. This has been out of stock everywhere and I’ve been wanting to get one - but some of the comments have me concerned. What should I go with instead?

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave did you try testing in a cup outside of tank?
Since getting a reply from Coral Vue about not using the small cup provided and rather to test it with a glass cup or plastic container my tank water salinity test seem more on point with the other refractometers.

Using the cup provided it tests 1.024.
Testing the water from refuge which is not near any electrical devices but still connected to the tank it reads 1.026.
Testing in a plastic container away from tank it reads 1.027.

The test out of tank gives the closest reading so far so that’s what I will use when testing salinity.

Compared to 3 different calibrated refractometers, still 3 points off reading direct in tank. 1.024 compared to actual 1.027.
Too much variation for my liking, especially for a product that was $100. Should be bang on exact at that price. Still not all that impressed.
Contacted coralvue and they said they would be sending out a new one when they get more in stock. Will see how new unit measures up.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally receive the salinity meter after a month of waiting.

I was super anxious to test the accuracy of it. After unboxing, I calibrated my BRS ATC referactometer using aquacraft 35ppt calibration solution. Before calibration, I measured the temperature of the refractometer and the temperature of the calibration fluid with an infrared temp gun. Both were at 77 degrees F.. I know it supposed to be ATC, but we keep the house at 65 degrees. This makes a huge difference when calibrating. I let the instrument and fluid warm up before calibrating. The refractometer read 1.026.4

After that, I tested my tanks water. It read 1.026.4 … So there was my base line for testing. Next, I did my first test with the meter and the scoop like the instructions said. The reading came out to be 1.024.. I tested the tank water a dozen times with the scoop and it consitently read 1.024. So at least it was consistent! But still out of the +/- .001 accuracy range stated. After that, I decided to see what would happen if I tested without the scoop.. I tested probably a dozen times directly in the tank and it read 1.025 consistently with the pumps running. I read there could be electrical intereference from pumps and such so I tested without the powerheads on. It consistently gave me readings of 1.025 also. I would think flow would be better for conductivity, but I'm not possitive on that.. I then tested Calibration fluid with the meter. I squirted enough fluid into the supplied scoop to top it off and took a measurment.
The calibration fluid measured 1.027 conistently. Then I decided to pour the calibrarion fluid in a small shot glass and see if there was a difference. Surprisingly it read 1.028-1.029…. Then I decided to test my tank water in the same shot glass without the scoop and it read 1.025 consistently. So pretty much the same reading without the scoop when testing the tanks water.. Both directly in the tank and in the shot glass.

I honestly think this thing is more accurate without the scoop when testing. Between each of the test, I rinsed the meter with RO and wiped dry with a microfiber cloth.

Update. Been using this thing for a while now and it has very consistent readings. I never use the scoop when testing. For my particular meter it reads .001 low.... So I just add a thousandth. If it says 1.025 it's actually 1.026 Easy enough.

Last edited:

Luis Marrero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Has anyone received any confirmation from coralvue about using the cup? I use it but there is so much out there on this issue its a bit overwhelming. Thank you in advance

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the accuracy on the temp reader on this? Out of the box is it sufficient for calibrating my heaters and system etc?

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for a great thread. As some others have stated, even if I have to calibrate this "in my head" to get an accurate read out, the ease of use seems promising. Knowing to add or subtract 0.001 is easy enough. Just gotta be sure to check it regularly against a calibrated fluid.

Also FWIW, being in other hobbies I can say precise temp testing equipment can be quite expensive. I would venture to say, even at this price point (since its not just a temp tester) expecting extreme temp precision probably isn't practical.

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my tester today. I noticed that the little cup is no longer included in the box. I take this to mean that Coral Vue would prefer that the cup not be used. Unless mine is just missing the cup. The instructions do not mention the use of any cup.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any way you could take a picture of the instructions and the packing your meter came with? you sure it wasn't just a mistake?
would be very interested in why they would have changed it. will have to look tonight and see if my instructions actually mention the cup.
I watched and read the coralvue documentation on it before I bought it so I don't know if I actually read the instructions on the box or not.

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have attached some pictures. Instructions come printed on the inside of the cover. Contents of the box are the probe itself and a plastic “disc” to remove the battery cover. Is there a way to turn on the back light? My backlight doesn’t seem to work.

B7FFBAB2-D4B6-4989-AC62-A006DF31E3ED.jpeg

E671D958-1748-4F0F-A2C5-AFF9E72BFD39.jpeg

730A729E-7A5F-4DA0-B5DD-495247EF0BFF.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back