IceCap scrubber?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind... Thank you Google

Screenshot_20190913-124216_Dropbox.jpg

Thank you, Google! :D

OP
OP
R

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay got it setup temporarily. I'm going to mount it on the side of the sump on a little stand because as it is now I have no access to my filter socks but until I trust it not to leak it will go here.. even then the stand will have some sort of water return to the sump just in case.

Some things I've run into.

1) the inlet is a large 1/2, I boiled some water and got the 1/2 id hose on there.

2) there are 2 cords, one for each light so I put them on a splitter so it only uses 1 outlet on my apex.

3) the Cobalt mj1200 is far to big of a pump. I have it throttled down a little over 1/2 way.

Everything else is pretty self explanatory, there were no instructions

20190913_163112.jpg 20190913_163245.jpg 20190913_163252.jpg 20190913_160251.jpg

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay got it setup temporarily. I'm going to mount it on the side of the sump on a little stand because as it is now I have no access to my filter socks but until I trust it not to leak it will go here.. even then the stand will have some sort of water return to the sump just in case.

1) the inlet is a large 1/2, I boiled some water and got the 1/2 id hose on there.

2) there are 2 cords, one for each light so I put them on a splitter so it only uses 1 outlet on my apex.

3) the Cobalt mj1200 is far to big of a pump. I have it throttled down a little over 1/2 way.

Thank you for your feedback. We are coming out with a how-to video next week! Unfortunately, with RAP Cali and MACNA back-to-back like they were this year, we didn't get a chance to put it out there ahead of launch as we'd hoped. I also received your PM and will reply to that! Thanks for sharing the pics and feedback!

OP
OP
R

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks amazing. I am buying one!

It is pretty awesome, I've always wanted a scrubber but couldn't bring myself to pay $400 or more. $285 was perfect.

I also seeded the screen with a little turf algae I had in the fuge, figure it'll give it a little boost. I just rubber it all over the screen.

Check out clear Choice, I had a minor issue with a leak on one of the fitting and they really helped me out. It was more user error on my part . Plus they ship quick

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Helpful info and pics. I also bought the medium size and it should be delivered on Monday. Thinking through mounting options now. Probably an egg crate platform ( maybe double thick due to weight) either resting on the sump or maybe with some sort of pvc legs. I’m a bit confused by one thing— you state the MJ1200 pump is too powerful, but that’s rated at about 300gph and the specs for the scrubber call for 500gph. Can you please elaborate on the challenge you had with that flow rate? @Jeff@CoralVue — can you confirm the suggested flow rate for the medium scrubber please?

OP
OP
R

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helpful info and pics. I also bought the medium size and it should be delivered on Monday. Thinking through mounting options now. Probably an egg crate platform ( maybe double thick due to weight) either resting on the sump or maybe with some sort of pvc legs. I’m a bit confused by one thing— you state the MJ1200 pump is too powerful, but that’s rated at about 300gph and the specs for the scrubber call for 500gph. Can you please elaborate on the challenge you had with that flow rate? @Jeff@CoralVue — can you confirm the suggested flow rate for the medium scrubber please?
I thought it would be underpowered but it was laying around so i decided to try it, when I had the pump running full blast the water was shooting out of the little holes above the screen pretty hard which made it very loud. dialed back half way it makes a nice cascade down the screen and is silent. Maybe it's supposed to be a river of water? I'm sure Jeff will chime in on monday. I'll get some pictures or figure out how to upload a video later today of the full blast vs 50%

OP
OP
R

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, side note. . . the lights were on all night and in the morning I felt them, they were pretty hot. hot enough it was uncomfortable to touch the heat sinks. I don't think it will be a problem but I programmed my sump fan to come on when the scrubber runs just to keep things a little cooler.

OP
OP
R

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is to large to upload... Picture is the mj1200 at full power. Anyone know of a video upload site?

Screenshot_20190914-175148_Video Player.jpg

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The recommended flow rates are what were provided by the manufacturer but perhaps we can adjust them based upon users that are kind enough to share their personal experiences with us as you have. There just needs to be constant flow across the mesh. It does not need high flow, just consistent, constant, and even flow.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look nice and I like the price point. I’ll probably pickup a medium for my reefer 350. Should be pretty easy to mount where the stock top off tank usually goes.

That would be awesome! Please tag us if you post about the scrubber on R2R so that we can follow along! Thank you so much for your interest!

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to say I was happy to see the UPS man today bringing me my ice cap scrubber but not quite so happy when I open the box and saw the damage. No damage to the outside of the shipping box but the scrubber is just smashed. Talked to Aquacave and they won't ship me a new one till they get this one back. I guess I'm not installing it this week. Sad

IMG_20190916_164105.jpg IMG_20190916_164128.jpg IMG_20190916_164112.jpg

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to say I was happy to see the UPS man today bringing me my ice cap scrubber but not quite so happy when I open the box and saw the damage. No damage to the outside of the shipping box but the scrubber is just smashed. Talked to Aquacave and they won't ship me a new one till they get this one back. I guess I'm not installing it this week. Sad

IMG_20190916_164105.jpg IMG_20190916_164128.jpg IMG_20190916_164112.jpg

Certainly not an ideal way to start the week. We are very sorry for the condition the scrubber arrived in. @aquacave is a reputable store, so I am sure they will take care of you. Please keep us posted here!

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not an ideal way to start the week. We are very sorry for the condition the scrubber arrived in. @aquacave is a reputable store, so I am sure they will take care of you. Please keep us posted here!
I’m sure they will. The damage is not their fault directly. No damage to the outside of the shipping carton but on the inside the bottom of the Styrofoam is completely broken apart which suggests to me that it was dropped from a height straight down most likely somewhere in the fine UPS system or on its trip to Aquacave. On the bright side I am at least using it to measure to make sure I can fit it where I want to fit it. I’m changing out my sump so the new sump is in the garage while I plan it out.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure they will. The damage is not their fault directly. No damage to the outside of the shipping carton but on the inside the bottom of the Styrofoam is completely broken apart which suggests to me that it was dropped from a height straight down most likely somewhere in the fine UPS system or on its trip to Aquacave. On the bright side I am at least using it to measure to make sure I can fit it where I want to fit it. I’m changing out my sump so the new sump is in the garage while I plan it out.

Thank you for having a good attitude and seeing a bright side in a bad situation. I opened all three sizes of scrubbers at MACNA and thought the styrofoam packaging was sufficient in terms of protecting the unit itself and the lights. Out of curiosity, was the retail box packed into a larger outside box with more packing material inside or did you just receive the scrubber box without another brown box on the outside? This would be good for us to know going forward.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back