Icedearth15324's Waterbox Reef 100.3

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently moved in with my fiance, and one of the things I said I wanted was a bigger tank, since I wasn't very happy with my 60 cube. I'm very lucky that she has been becoming a fan of my hobby and allowed me to get a new tank. Since we live in an apartment, I couldn't go too big though. I ended up getting the Waterbox Reef 100.3, which is 3 ft long, 2 ft wide, and 22" high with a display volume of about 72 gallons, and a sump volume of 25 gallons. Not super bigger than my old tank, but still bigger.

Seeing as how I was moving into an apartment, I didn't want to risk dealing with custom plumbing, which is the main reason I went with the Waterbox. I was looking at Red Sea as well, but they were more expensive. Due to a backorder, it took around 7 weeks for me to get my tank delivered instead of the 2-4 weeks they quoted. Before I get to the pictures, I'll post the equipment.

Equipment:
-Kessil AP700 Light
-Apexel controller
-Neptune Cor-15 Return Pump
-Ecotech Vortech MP-40QD
-Ecotech Vortech MP-10QD (not installed yet)
-Red Sea RSK300 Skimmer
-Finnex 300-watt Titanium Heater
-XP Aqua Duetto ATO

And here are some pictures:

First opening of the shipping crate with everything inside.
IMG-1233.jpg

Just the tank
IMG-1239.jpg

Opening the stand box
IMG-1566.jpg

Laying out the pieces, if anyone has built ikea furniture before then this will look familiar.
IMG-1567.jpg

Stand is made out of solid plywood and not particleboard
IMG-1569.jpg

Completed stand, doors closed
IMG-1571.jpg

Completed stand, doors open
IMG-1572.jpg

Tank placed on stand, doors open
IMG-1593.jpg

Closer look at sump
IMG-1596.jpg

Starting the filling process
IMG-1619.jpg

Tank filled and running with some live rock I've had curing for over a month
IMG-1625.jpg

Everything moved over and running
IMG-1658.jpg

And now to let everything settle before I begin adding more corals.

OP
OP
icedearth15324

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give something new a try for mechanical filtration. Filter socks are too annoying, and I didn't feel like spending money for filter cups just yet. So I saw someone talk about these silverware cups and that they fit, so I decided to give them a try.

IMG-1747.jpg

I got 3 of these on Amazon for $7 total, and they fit perfectly in the filter cup slots. I was even able to fit the silencer over them.

IMG-1740.jpg

So far I'm liking them.

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there- Just ordered the 100.3 and had some questions-
How do you like the Equipment? If you were to do it over would you change anything? Are you dosing? Do you have a current pick of sump setup?

TYIA

OP
OP
icedearth15324

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there- Just ordered the 100.3 and had some questions-
How do you like the Equipment? If you were to do it over would you change anything? Are you dosing? Do you have a current pick of sump setup?

TYIA

So far I am loving the 100.3. It takes a little time to get the water flow dialed in to make it silent, but once you do it's super quiet. Only thing I'd do over is to run my cables differently, and get all equipment ahead of time. I am dosing now. And here's a current pic of the sump:

IMG_2315.jpeg

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I am loving the 100.3. It takes a little time to get the water flow dialed in to make it silent, but once you do it's super quiet. Only thing I'd do over is to run my cables differently, and get all equipment ahead of time. I am dosing now. And here's a current pic of the sump:

IMG_2315.jpeg
Thanks for the reply! Looks like it is serving its purpose. I would ideally like to fit everything in the cabinet and not in another cabinet to the side but we will see. I see what you mean with the wires, I am planning to have all equipment installed prior to getting the tank wet. Will do some custom sump display lighting as well. Couple of questions if you don't mind?

Is that a fuge light in your sump? If so what do you have in there?
Are you still using the silverware containers? What kind of media?
Whats in front of the protein skimmer? I was looking to split the skimmer in half a baffle kit and adding a huge in their as well.
What dosing system are you using?

Thanks!

OP
OP
icedearth15324

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Looks like it is serving its purpose. I would ideally like to fit everything in the cabinet and not in another cabinet to the side but we will see. I see what you mean with the wires, I am planning to have all equipment installed prior to getting the tank wet. Will do some custom sump display lighting as well. Couple of questions if you don't mind?

Is that a fuge light in your sump? If so what do you have in there?
Are you still using the silverware containers? What kind of media?
Whats in front of the protein skimmer? I was looking to split the skimmer in half a baffle kit and adding a huge in their as well.
What dosing system are you using?

Thanks!
-I'm running a chaeto reactor, that's what is in front of the skimmer.
-I ended up getting filter cups from marinedepot, just have filter floss in them.
-I have the Coral Box wifi doser, doing BRS 2-part and NoPox.

MURedhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the RSK 300 skimmer? I have same 100.3 and love it. Nice tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back