Ich and qt

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by BadFish619, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:02 PM.

1. BadFish619

BadFish619 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Well after years of flawless tanks, as in no ich, I have run face first into the ich wall. I want to know exactly how I should do this and what products you guys recommend. Today I see white spots on half the fish. Not very many spots but its ich alright. Caught it early i hope. I have 9 fish going into a 20 gallon. All on the smaller side. So what now? Just copper? Hypo and copper? Will 20 gallons suffice? Nightmare!

Mjrenz likes this.

2. Mjrenz

Mjrenz Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Can you provide a list of your fish? Some treatments are safe for some but not for others. You can't use hypo and copper together just so you know. Some pics to confirm a diagnosis would help as well

Paul Sands likes this.
  3. Dom

Dom Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Only encountered it once. FW dips and hypo salinity solved the problem.

4. BadFish619

Thinking I'm going to do a huge water change and run a uv sterilizer. I have a butterfly that I know won't make it through copper. 2 angels, 2 fire fish, 2 clowns, banded stripe goby. Think I'll try it before I try to catch them all and qt. Not too keen on keeping all them in a 20 gallon

5. cancun

cancun Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Wow! Did you add anything new recently like a new fish, coral, etc? Just curious how ich got into your system.....

6. BadFish619

Sure did and he's dead can't find him anywhere. Hoping my crabs eat him up because I can't find him anywhere. And before anyone asks I did not qt, lol, never have. I get my fish from a trusted source. Only this time I grabbed him early before my lfs was able to qt him. After over 15 years I finally learned my lesson. I'm now debating on uv sterilizer and water change to help manage rather than pull everything out. Also thinking it may be easier to remove all rock from DT, then treat the DT. Think it might be easier than catching fish. Idk, just throwing ideas out. Like I said never dealt with this so I'm essentially new in this area and don't know how to approach it

7. BadFish619

Then again, not sure I can fit 80 pounds of rock into a 20 gallon tank. Just not sure if the small quarters of a 20 will house all these guys for an extended period of time

8. Cell

Cell Active Member

BadFish619 and 4FordFamily like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted