OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance, I didn't see any mention of Cryptocaryon, Amyloodinium, Brooklynella or Uronema in the abstract.

Does the full study discuss any of these??

I haven’t read it all yet, but it mentions several. I’ll dig into more after work. Very interesting though. In one of his videos there’s a Uronema waiting for the philaster RTN Parasite to vomit so it can catch a quick meal. It’s like he knows what’s going on.

Humble, look how impressive these numbers are! We’re all testing this product in Houston now. It’s blowing up!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be curious to see more on this, as it would be quite the game changer...

I struggle to see how obligate fish feeding ciliates would be able to subsist on corals given substantially different morphology and physiology and based on what we know of the types of nutrients sought by these organisms.
The cyst stage could in theory irritate corals.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be curious to see more on this, as it would be quite the game changer...

I struggle to see how obligate fish feeding ciliates would be able to subsist on corals given substantially different morphology and physiology and based on what we know of the types of nutrients sought by these organisms.
The cyst stage could in theory irritate corals.

Definitely gonna keep us thinking. For those interested in coral...check out my video below and see the swarm video of the philaster parasites. Maybe no more RTN/STN soon!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciliates associated with or causing disease in corals? Sure, it's plausible, there are thousands of protozoan species.
They could certainly represent one class of causes of RTN/STN. Not the only cause though.
Are these the same species of ciliates that parasitize fish? More than extremely unlikely.
Even if this paper suggested it, which I don't see that it does, it would still require corroboration before I'd buy it.
The title of that video is inaccurate click bait.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ciliates associated with or causing disease in corals? Sure, it's plausible, there are thousands of protozoan species.
They could certainly represent one class of causes of RTN/STN. Not the only cause though.
Are these the same species of ciliates that parasitize fish? More than extremely unlikely.
Even if this paper suggested it, which I don't see that it does, it would still require corroboration before I'd buy it.

What do you think about this one? o_O

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you know there are other causes?

You never hear about ICH affecting coral. This just shows how little we know. If that’s ICH, I’d say it’s most likely irritating that coral. There’s hundreds in there. Looks like we should DEFINITELY be QTing coral! Yikes!

We have a lot of questions that demand answers now. Humblefish is never gonna get sleep. :p

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back