Ich eradication vs. Ich management

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fallow period is not an exact science, but the minimum I like to see is 45 days at 81 f.
6 weeks at 80 would be less effective than that, so I wouldn’t advise it.
Jay
Okay, I'll shoot for about 50 days just to leave a little cushion. I'll try and increase to 81f. Thanks for all your help @Jay Hemdal . My Blue tang and purple tang are completely covered in Ich at this point, so I'm glad I have been planning out eradication as a backup.

For me, management did not work at all once the disease took hold. It may work for others who have not yet experienced a breakout, but for people who may be considering employing management during a breaking,... don't. I feel bad for making my fish wait an extra two weeks for the right care and when they are clearly quite miserable. Metroplex, Poly Lab, Ich-X...They're all crap and had no effect.

I'll be sure to report back how Copper Power (30 days) + Prazipro (2 rounds) worked on my fish, including on my cleaner, melanurus, labout's fairy, & solon fairy wrasses.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'll shoot for about 50 days just to leave a little cushion. I'll try and increase to 81f. Thanks for all your help @Jay Hemdal . My Blue tang and purple tang are completely covered in Ich at this point, so I'm glad I have been planning out eradication as a backup.

For me, management did not work at all once the disease took hold. It may work for others who have not yet experienced a breakout, but for people who may be considering employing management during a breaking,... don't. I feel bad for making my fish wait an extra two weeks for the right care and when they are clearly quite miserable. Metroplex, Poly Lab, Ich-X...They're all crap and had no effect.

I'll be sure to report back how Copper Power (30 days) + Prazipro (2 rounds) worked on my fish, including on my cleaner, melanurus, labout's fairy, & solon fairy wrasses.

Oh - and one other VERY important point - you must not start counting the fallow period until the fish are showing no symptoms! The fallow period is designed to be enough time for the tomonts to die out. If the fish still have trophonts on their bodies, they are still producing new tomonts, so the infection is still active.

Jay

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - and one other VERY important point - you must not start counting the fallow period until the fish are showing no symptoms! The fallow period is designed to be enough time for the tomonts to die out. If the fish still have trophonts on their bodies, they are still producing new tomonts, so the infection is still active.

Jay
Okay just to clarify, I cannot start the Fallow period in my DT until fish in QT are showing no signs of symptoms? This is true even if treating ALL fish for 30 days with copper and 14 days with prazipro?

I would have figured that the DT would be fallow (fishless) meaning ich would die in DT... and the medications would kill the diseases in QT... If not, that means I am looking at 76 days anyways.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay just to clarify, I cannot start the Fallow period in my DT until fish in QT are showing no signs of symptoms? This is true even if treating for 30 days with copper and 14 days with prazipro? I would have figured the DT would be fallow and the medications would kill the diseases... If so that means I am looking at 76 days anyways.
Oh, I see what you mean. No - if all fish are out of the tank, then the fallow period starts at the point they were all removed. Sorry for getting mixed up on this....

Jay

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see what you mean. No - if all fish are out of the tank, then the fallow period starts at the point they were all removed. Sorry for getting mixed up on this....

Jay
Whew okay I was bummed for a moment! NOW I just have to hope that 2 used sock filters per tank, turbostart 900, and some dirty matrix are enough beneficial bacteria to save my fish from ammonia. Along with some decent sized water changes. I am splitting fish up, so doing 2 separate 50 gallon tanks with bio-wheel powerfilters + airstones and 6 fish in each tank. They are smaller fish mainly 3" so I think I have somewhat of a chance... wish me luck!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back