Ich Fallow Period and Seahorses

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @melypr1985 I could use some advice and your expertise.

Despite being quite careful with a solid QT process on almost all of my fish, I ended up with ich in my dual reefer set up. I expected to just manage it with a huge UV and selecting fish that could withstand it. Unfortunately, I'm slowly losing the battle. I have a porcupine puffer who gets sick, I TTM him, he gets well, I put him back in the tank and he gets sick again. It's a never ending cycle.

So, to cut to the chase, I'm going to TTM my fish, and let my tank go fallow. My biggest concern is for 3 seahorses I have on that system. Seahorses don't seem to get ich, but they do have gills, so I'm not sure if they will keep ich active in the system. I'd much rather go fallow with the seahorses in their tank. They feed the macro algae with nutrients, it's not easy to transfer them from tank to tank safely, etc. There are several reasons.

So, do you have any knowledge about this? We can keep invertebrates in the tank during the fallow period. Can I keep seahorses as well?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank won't be fallow if the seahorses stay in the system unfortunately. I'm sorry, but the ponies will have to come out and be treated as well. All inverts can stay in the tank along with corals. I'm also sorry for the troubles with the tanks.... I hope this goes a little easier for you after the fallow period.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea horses are "very good subjects to the attention of ich"
So no if you want to erase ich
And you can't treat them with copper or others
Only I see do not demage them too much is formolo i.e. Formalina
Dosage very low
But think that humble or Meredith will say you better the dosage that kill
Ich and not horses

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I was afraid this was the case, but hoped it wouldn't be.

I have been using TTM for the last couple of months on new additions and it's been 100 times better than copper was. No losses yet.

I'm going to grab two more tanks so I can TTM the predator fish and seahorses separately. Otherwise my rhinopias will make a quick meal of the ponies.

It's going to be a pain transferring them several times without exposing them to air, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back