Ich? Fin Rot? Accident Prone Puffer? Help!

woahmmmmegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have a young porcupine puffer fish, named Squirt, who has a hole in one of his fins. I am not sure if this is some version of fin rot, a bad case of ich or if my pufferfish injured himself. Either way, I would like your opinions on what you believe it to be as well as the best way to treat him.

At the moment, he is acting normal. Begging for food, swimming around, sleeping at his normal time and reacting to us. See my answers to the normal questions below.

1) Your water parameters -
Nitrite: 0 ppm
PH: 7.8
Nitrate: 40 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants - 46 gallons. He lives alone outside of some live rock and some live sand. He is the king of his own castle.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank -- He eats a small piece of frozen, "people" shrimp every other day. He is only about 2-3 inches (if even that big). So, this usually gives him a "food baby" that lasts until we feed him. We usually check his stomach to see if he needs to be fed. His water gets changed every 2 weeks about 30% each time. We are working on making this a weekly occurance. There are no other products in the tank. We try to keep it au-natural.

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. -- When we noticed the hole, we did a 50% water change and cleaned away all the algae we could find. Previous to that, though, there were no changes.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? -- The tank was cycled before we got Squirt for about a month. We have had him in that tank since we got him around May/June.

I attached a photo that shows the hole on his fin. One other thing I wanted to mention, is that we have the live rock in the tank and it's in a sort of "cave" form because we know puffers like to "get away" from humans and have "me time." However, there is a small section in the cave that he likes to WEDGE himself in. Like he barely fits. So, I am not sure if one day when he was sleeping there, wedged up, if he "ripped" his fin on one of the rocks. However, the other fin does have some of the "white" marks like the one with the hole.

Picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GYKLxZG0Ie56zpyCr7ZjTMjwlOeyvkna/view?usp=sharing

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pork puffer. It seems he had/s ich and it stressed him out lowering his immune system and causing him to contract the fungal infection of fin rot. If it were a rip or puncture it would not have the white fuzzyish fraying around the hole. This same thing happens in one of my FW planted tank. Causes could be iregular light schedule inverid diet or bad salt with not the appropriate levels of trace and other elements or something eles. Pork puffers in my expirence are basicly bulletproof so there is defenitly a tank parameter that is causing this. Solve the tank Problem and medicate him to cure him and protect him from further problems. Put him in a sanitizing bath like iodine and dose some type of ich medication along with fungle medication. I would recommend APIs fin rot medication and ridich. Do your own research on medication and best of luck to you and squirt.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Looks like it could possibly be bacterial as well. I’d feed the fish some Selcon to help boost him up and start some antibiotics like Kanaplex, Furan-2, or Metroplex is a QT tank.

If one antibiotic doesn’t seem to be working...switch to another. Good luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back