Ich killed almost all my fish

nyc_love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich entered my tank about 2 weeks ago with the introduction of a new fish (that had gone through quarantine) and sadly, in a span of 2 weeks, ich killed all but 3 of my fish :crying-face: The only 3 remaining are two pilot fish and a Blue Tang. I am devastated. I couldn't get any of the fish out because I have a 42" tall tank with a lot of rock work and even though I tried, I couldn't catch a single fish. I tried Polyplab Medic to try and combat the ich and it's not out of the question that maybe that ended up killing the fish. I am guessing at that because I had fish that didn't have a single sign of ich also die over the last week (fish that had been in my tank for almost a year and were completely healthy). Either way, I stopped using it to be on the safe side.

All that being said, what do I do now? I am in no way giving up on the hobby because it brings me so much joy. Knowing that I have ich in my tank, what's the right way to start introducing fish again? I'll be putting all fish through quarantine before they go in but besides that, any other recommendations? I don't see ich on the Blue Tang or the two pilot fish but I am going to wait at least 30 days before any actually go into the display tank and in the meantime, I am going to start quarantining maybe 3-4 fish to go in first. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What invertebrates do you have in the tank?
They make fish traps, to help limit the stress and in catching them. If you have inverts, get a trap, get the fish out to a QT tank and treat them with copper. Keep the main tank fallow (without fish) for 90 days. Then the fish that have survived can go back in. How long do you quarantine for?

OP
OP
N

nyc_love

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the fish trap method but no luck with any of them. I can try again with the remaining 3 to see if I have any better luck. Only inverts are hermit crabs and 3 nassarius snails. I was putting them in quarantine for about 45 days.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish need to be removed and medically treated in QT while tank is fallow for 76 days.

Another option is hyposalinity for the main tank.

Are you sure it was ich and not another disease? Ich doesn't usually kill that fast
The spots come and go but get progressively worse over time before the fish succumbs. Treatment involves copper dosing.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich entered my tank about 2 weeks ago with the introduction of a new fish (that had gone through quarantine) and sadly, in a span of 2 weeks, ich killed all but 3 of my fish :crying-face: The only 3 remaining are two pilot fish and a Blue Tang. I am devastated. I couldn't get any of the fish out because I have a 42" tall tank with a lot of rock work and even though I tried, I couldn't catch a single fish. I tried Polyplab Medic to try and combat the ich and it's not out of the question that maybe that ended up killing the fish. I am guessing at that because I had fish that didn't have a single sign of ich also die over the last week (fish that had been in my tank for almost a year and were completely healthy). Either way, I stopped using it to be on the safe side.

All that being said, what do I do now? I am in no way giving up on the hobby because it brings me so much joy. Knowing that I have ich in my tank, what's the right way to start introducing fish again? I'll be putting all fish through quarantine before they go in but besides that, any other recommendations? I don't see ich on the Blue Tang or the two pilot fish but I am going to wait at least 30 days before any actually go into the display tank and in the meantime, I am going to start quarantining maybe 3-4 fish to go in first. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
I have kept a tank now for 20+ years. Only had ich once - improved the water quality and it faded with no loss of fish. Or, does keeping. Cleaner shrimp help with ich etc? Just a thought.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back