Ich management not working?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I haven't heard this. I am not the ich police, I am just curious, is there an article to read.
It was first investigated because a reef off of the coast of Japan would experience an ich outbreak every time the weather got rough in the fall. It was determined the waves oxygenated parts of the reef. This was confirmed by other studies.
Dormancy induced by a hypoxic environment in tomonts of Cryptocaryon irritans, a parasitic ciliate of marine teleosts - ScienceDirect

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stress enough... there is nothing wrong with treating a diseased fish. In fact, it is the right thing to do. If a fish is showing signs of ich that is an indicator that it can't fight the parasite off on its own.
I feel you need to run parallel paths though. Don't just treat the fish, but figure out why the fish needed treatment in the first place. Do you have aggression issues? Are you feeding high quality foods? Do they have "safe places" to go when they are stressed? How is your water quality?

We should be taking a holistic approach to caring for fish. But that doesn't preclude using medications on fish that require them.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stress enough... there is nothing wrong with treating a diseased fish. In fact, it is the right thing to do. If a fish is showing signs of ich that is an indicator that it can't fight the parasite off on its own.
I feel you need to run parallel paths though. Don't just treat the fish, but figure out why the fish needed treatment in the first place. Do you have aggression issues? Are you feeding high quality foods? Do they have "safe places" to go when they are stressed? How is your water quality?

We should be taking a holistic approach to caring for fish. But that doesn't preclude using medications on fish that require them.
They are being a little aggressive toward my firefish but it’s the only one not showing any of ich.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very puzzled if it is not ich then I’ll ignore it, but if it is what should I do? I’m getting so many mixed responses I’m so confused.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very puzzled if it is not ich then I’ll ignore it, but if it is what should I do? I’m getting so many mixed responses I’m so confused.
I can't tell from the pictures. But.. I would monitor it closely. Ich comes in waves in the beginning as each generation grows. If it isn't getting worse each week there is less to worry about. If you do see more spots each week, I would pull them and treat them with copper for at least 10 days.

If it isn't getting worse, continue to monitor without pulling them.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like 1 spot the size I would expect of ich on one clown and a bunch of tiny tiny tiny powder sugar size ich like spots on the two clowns, could they be a natural coloring that I didn’t pay to close attention to? With white light they are impossible to see other then that larger white spot which is ich lymphocytes or something else (hasn’t been spreading)

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how I could do the fallow period in just 4 weeks? I have coral and inverts. What temp should I make my dt.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not adverse to running tanks with an ich cycle using traditional ich management and I ran that way for a long time. However if any water quality issue pops up in the tank virtually every fish in the tank will be put at an immediate risk.

While I didn't know about the anaerobic issue, that should be manageable with higher flow in the main tank, vacuuming the sand and eliminating any place where there is low to no flow such as some reactors, cannisters, etc. Oddly things I do normally.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow my hospital tank thread here:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back