Help with emergency hospital tank

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Later today I will be setting up a tote as a hospital tank which I will have while I do a 4 week fallow period for ich I will be posting pictures, as I Am scared in going to kill my fish. Please point out any mistakes I made. The fish are two clowns and one firefish and it is a 10 gallon tote.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to seed the tote with bacteria? Do you have a heater, filter And a wave maker ?

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to seed the tote with bacteria? Do you have a heater, filter And a wave maker ?
I have a heater, hob filter which produces good flow, air pump. I’m going to use bio balls from my dt to seed my tank qt. I will post pics of the setup before adding water.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't bother with biological filtration in my QT/hospital tank. I just do water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrite in check. In addition, the fallow period for Ich is a minimum of 72 days, not 30. If you return your fish to the DT before then you will not have fixed a thing.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't bother with biological filtration in my QT/hospital tank. I just do water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrite in check. In addition, the fallow period for Ich is a minimum of 72 days, not 30. If you return your fish to the DT before then you will not have fixed a thing.
I read that by raising the temp it can be 4 weeks.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although you may increase the parasites metabolic rate a little by increasing the temperature, it would be, at best, hit or miss.

Remember - the saying "Nothing good happens fast" holds so very true in this hobby. I'd wait at least 72 days regardless.

Also - how are you treating the fish? Copper can work but requires accurate testing - too low of a dose won't work, too high can harm the fish. I prefer TTM (tank transfer method) - no medications at all,and 100% effective by interrupting the parasites life cycle.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to do a fallow period for 5 weeks at 82degrees I might do more depending on how it’s going. I can’t be doing water changes every other day for 6 weeks, but if the nitrifying bacteria does its job and after the treatment I stop doing as many water changes I might go longer. In addition I will be leaving for a week near the 20th of February so I’m not sure if I want to leave the fish in the tote, and especially not if I don’t have nitryfying bacteria.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish said that the fallow period has to be 6 weeks at 80 degrees and another couple researchers say 2 weeks at 86 degrees. My coral can’t handle 86degrees, but something like 83 and a 5 week fallow could work.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a noob, but I did set up a hospital tank recently. It was surprising to me how fast the ammonia rose. My advice is test twice a day for the first few days, and always have plenty of fresh water on hand. I'd advise 100% of the hospital tank volume - then you're ready to do whatever you need for a water change. After a couple of days, things settled down and the hospital tank was quite easy to maintain. You just gotta be extra vigilant at the start.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using tap water. I won’t wast my RO on the fish. I had a successful reef tank in the past with tap so it should be fine. Also should I add chaeto to help with the nutrient levels.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to keeps the ich out of anaerobic areas could I put my power head max and use my hand to stir around all the sand every 3-5 days?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to add the chaeto, and if you plan to medicate you definitely don't want it in there.
Might as well give the sand a good rinsing while going fallow actually. Clean things up.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think of the setup? Am I missing anything. Will this have enough hiding spots for the firefish. I’m also adding a small piece of rock. Water will be added later today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very limited to material because I have corona but will something like knew kitchen sponges with no soap ofcourse work as mechanical filtration?the filter cartridges contain a small amount of carbon in them and I can’t go buy anything before i get this thing up an running. Otherwise I could remove the carbon from the filter cartridges.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I added 9 gallons of water conditioner and salt. I’m going to look for an hob filter to order will my fish be fine in the dt till after tomorrow?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back