Ich management

Powderclownanthias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During ich management it would help to turn lights off for some days? I'm wondering because parasites are on the water column during darkness...

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and #WelcometoR2R

Could we start with a bit more information about your tank and the current problem? The question right now is a bit to broad and general. That will help narrow down a plan of action

OP
OP
P

Powderclownanthias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and #WelcometoR2R

Could we start with a bit more information about your tank and the current problem? The question right now is a bit to broad and general. That will help narrow down a plan of action
Trying to do ich management, started with a new addition powder blue tang , it was quarantined but after 2 weeks start ich , 145 gallons tank , 4 years running, 1 mimic tang, 2 chromis, 2 clowns, 1 blenny, 1 wrasse , 1 damsel , 1 gramma already dead Probably for ich , and the new addition Powder tang,.
36 watt Uv running direct in tank , using selcon , nori , Artemis and other flakes food , powder blue, mimic tang and the female clown are with Ich , I already tried to take the 2 tangs out to treat them but was impossible , I want to take all them out of course but I can't catch the tangs ...

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice tank. Is it a full reef? Lights out will not accomplish anything against ich.

The diet is a good start, but if you are not seeing results the only real option i know of is to pull the group and medicate and go fallow 76 days. Have you confirmed ich?

I am not really a disease guy, can you post a pic of the pic of the fish and give the numbers of the water parameters and we will see if the #reefsquad may Be around

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been able to manage ich, but only in a mature tank with a lot of SPS, very high flow and a large UV. Even there, highly susceptible fish like the powder blue are problematic.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't think of any advantage to a reduced light schedule/black out. The life cycle will continue as long as there are hosts.

Do you have a fish trap? My tangs are the easiest fish in my tank to catch and they are suckers for nori clipped on the side of a trap.

OP
OP
P

Powderclownanthias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start hyposalinity in display tank and yes it is ich , I'm gonna take all the rocks , corals and invertebrates away , I'm already running bare bottom and I guess that not gonna be a problem, indeed will be easily for me to do in display tank because the ato system and fishes will not be affected with a big rehoming stress, wha do you think ?
20200527_112539.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan....just lower it slowly over a couple of days or so. Be aware, there are some hyposalinity resistant strains of ich. That's the main reason I have abandoned it as a treatment. The other being it's not as easy to do as I thought it would be.

I'm sure you have an ATO....vital when doing hypo. Any significant evaporation not quickly replaced can let the salinity vary enough to wreck your treatment.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nutrition is key to ick management. Feed selcon and a high quality diet everyday multiple times and your fish if healthy enough will b battle the parasite off. I think of Ick like a flu. Yes your going to feel down and it does have the potential to kill if the immune system/health is compromised. But most often than not a healthy fish will be able to fight it off and look perfectly normal.

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start hyposalinity in display tank and yes it is ich , I'm gonna take all the rocks , corals and invertebrates away , I'm already running bare bottom and I guess that not gonna be a problem, indeed will be easily for me to do in display tank because the ato system and fishes will not be affected with a big rehoming stress, wha do you think ?
20200527_112539.jpg

Removing the content of the tank will stress the fish. Why don’t you give medication through its food?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back