OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you see fish dropping and dying in 24 hours it's not velvet most likely. Ich low chance possibility. When my CB got some spots I just used this and everything cleared up.
The main reason I suspected velvet was because the rapid change (disappearance and appearance) of spots and because some were so faint and tiny but now learning that ich can possibly present that too that makes me feel a little better as far as velvet is concerned at least.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason I suspected velvet was because the rapid change (disappearance and appearance) of spots and because some were so faint and tiny but now learning that ich can possibly present that too that makes me feel a little better as far as velvet is concerned at least.
You would see other rapidly advancing symptoms to with velvet and death in less then 48 hours. You fish has new tank stress. He may have some ich in his system that his immune system fights off and now the stress brought it out, possibly. Or something else, either way load him up with immune building vitamins and it will most likely go away. Some theories say all our tanks have ich and if the inhabitants have a quality environment then their immune systems keep it in check. I had brook in my tank early on everything died except 2 fish. Never treated them, their immune system saved them and still swimming today. Look at PaulB tank. He intentionally puts ich fish in there to build all the fishes immune systems.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would see other rapidly advancing symptoms to with velvet and death in less then 48 hours. You fish has new tank stress. He may have some ich in his system that his immune system fights off and now the stress brought it out, possibly. Or something else, either way load him up with immune building vitamins and it will most likely go away. Some theories say all our tanks have ich and if the inhabitants have a quality environment then their immune systems keep it in check. I had brook in my tank early on everything died except 2 fish. Never treated them, their immune system saved them and still swimming today. Look at PaulB tank. He intentionally puts ich fish in there to build all the fishes immune systems.
I agree that healthy fish can fight off ich and that it is in most tanks out there for sure. It was just my goal with this new tank to keep it out from the beginning. So if it does turn out to be ich or is ich then I'm torn on if I should do a fallow period to reset it since its still fairly early in the build. I only have 4 fish in there so far. But I know for a lot of people they just accept that ich is present and don't have problems for the most part also so. I'd just hate for something to happen down the road way more catastrophic as a result of me not taking action now if needed.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that healthy fish can fight off ich and that it is in most tanks out there for sure. It was just my goal with this new tank to keep it out from the beginning. So if it does turn out to be ich or is ich then I'm torn on if I should do a fallow period to reset it since its still fairly early in the build. I only have 4 fish in there so far. But I know for a lot of people they just accept that ich is present and don't have problems for the most part also so. I'd just hate for something to happen down the road way more catastrophic as a result of me not taking action now if needed.
Well to be safe overall then fallow is best especially if intend to add tangs at some point. I'm still not convinced it was anything to be drastically concerned about but better safe then sorry if you have QT already set up.

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an adorable lil fishy. I have no advice and am here only to say that I have had no intent on inviting a midas blenny into my tank, but now my mind might be changed.

best of luck to your fishies. I saw the people helping you, you're getting the best help that is available to you. follow what they say and that adorable fish will be just fine

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an adorable lil fishy. I have no advice and am here only to say that I have had no intent on inviting a midas blenny into my tank, but now my mind might be changed.

best of luck to your fishies. I saw the people helping you, you're getting the best help that is available to you. follow what they say and that adorable fish will be just fine
Thank you! And yes I love the wealth of knowledge, experience, and help this community offers it's amazing.

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened with my hippo when I put him into DT after 1 day.
the fine folks told me it was lympho and sure enough, they next day it was gone. I soak their food with vita Chem which may have helped.
The spots look almost identical to the tangs
0FDED075-E9F7-4E31-B26C-4306973F2BA1.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
See, after feeding right now I don’t really see anything on him now. Is it that possible for sand to be sticking to him?? Or can ich/velvet spots or lympho spots change rapidly??

I mentioned earlier that it can be sand otherwise lympho but suspect sand

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned earlier that it can be sand otherwise lympho but suspect sand
Yea I'm going to continue to observe closely and see what happens (if anything). I thought Lympho was usually larger and more cauliflower like and stayed for long periods of time? Can it also appear to be smaller and more similar to ich and come and go? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yea I'm going to continue to observe closely and see what happens (if anything). I thought Lympho was usually larger and more cauliflower like and stayed for long periods of time? Can it also appear to be smaller and more similar to ich and come and go? Thanks for your help!
Lympho can be larger dots, on fin edges or cauliflower like generally on large angels and certain butterfly fish

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a product from polyp lab called medic.... treats white spot in a reef tank without affecting the corals. I dont have a QT and when i added a regal tang it got white spot, the foxface soon developed it. I treated the tank with medic.... the tang died but the foxface made a full recovery... the other inhabitants didnt get any ich. (Yellow tang, dwarf angels, clowns etc ) so i swear by this product but i know some people think it doesnt work. I have been free of ich for about 8 months now, there are about 30 happy disease free fish in my DT. No plans to add anything else as i get nervous about an outbreak of ich then hoping medic sorts it
Polylab medic is garbage it doesn't cure anything.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have corals and inverts in the display? If so the easiest solution may be to set up a 10g qt for them. Then drop salinity to 1.09 for a month or 3. Afterwards slowly increase salinity over a month. Then return inverts. This will kill off ich while not harming the inverts. No inverts, then just drop salinity.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your guys help! Another question about ich; As far as ich getting into a display tank; once that happens is it possible for the ich to naturally die off and DT become sterile again if no other fish become infected/reinfected over time? Or will the ich always be infecting the fish at low numbers perhaps un-noticeably and continuing its life cycle constantly even if not showing up visibly?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your guys help! Another question about ich; As far as ich getting into a display tank; once that happens is it possible for the ich to naturally die off and DT become sterile again if no other fish become infected/reinfected over time? Or will the ich always be infecting the fish at low numbers perhaps un-noticeably and continuing its life cycle constantly even if not showing up visibly?
That’s a tough question to answer. Certainly ich dies off with no host after 45 to 60 days, depending on water temperature. Ich can “simmer” in a tank with fish as a chronic low grade infection on fish for some time. It then either dies out or flares up. I don’t have a good handle on how long ich can simmer, but it is at least 6 months.
Jay

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a tough question to answer. Certainly ich dies off with no host after 45 to 60 days, depending on water temperature. Ich can “simmer” in a tank with fish as a chronic low grade infection on fish for some time. It then either dies out or flares up. I don’t have a good handle on how long ich can simmer, but it is at least 6 months.
Jay
Okay that's interesting. I always assumed once ich gets in its always in. But based on that I can see how it might be possible for ich to "go away" in the DT after a period of time if no further outbreak occurs if accidentally initially introduced. And of course properly QTing any future fish. Even though that might be a less likely scenario. I assume that an outbreak is the more probable outcome of an ich introduction.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back