Ich outbreak on new angel

hippiefish1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treated with Ich-X, fresh water dip, increased aeration. She’s not acting any different- still swimming around and eating. Had to move her to my other tank for quarantine which is actually my display tank that has been shut down for a month. Hoping she makes it through. [emoji25] anyone ever revive a fish
9718703f87ae73452c04baeba94f427c.jpg
a7cd8721db79956dd1a15d71e56a25db.jpg
from parasites?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see any white spots ? Or just this blotchy appearance? How do the other fish look?

OP
OP
hippiefish1104

hippiefish1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see any white spots ? Or just this blotchy appearance? How do the other fish look?

White spots that started on her tail and now some on her body. The other fish perfectly normal. They are paired clown fish. Had them and the angel in my new nano reef but after I saw the spots I did a fresh water dip on her and moved her to my fallow 70 gallon. May have not been the best move but I had no other tank to use as qt.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I recently had an ich outbreak and went fallow for 12 weeks. During this period I did not add anything wet to my tank.

To clarify, the angel was in DT and moved to QT? If so, how many days was he in tank and what other livestock do you have?

It is hard to tell by the pic, are there salt like granules on the fish? Is he demonstrating any strange behavior such as darting, scratching, yawning, etc?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treated with Ich-X, fresh water dip, increased aeration. She’s not acting any different- still swimming around and eating. Had to move her to my other tank for quarantine which is actually my display tank that has been shut down for a month. Hoping she makes it through. [emoji25] anyone ever revive a fish
9718703f87ae73452c04baeba94f427c.jpg
a7cd8721db79956dd1a15d71e56a25db.jpg

If you are 100% you're dealing with ich. I suggest cupramine at therapeutic levels. Raise copper levels slowly over 3-4days to .50ppm. You'll need a good copper test to ensure you don't overdose, I used the Hanna Checker. Most accurate. Ich X is not an effective treatment for ich unfortunately.

Furthermore, if you want to be 100% sure that the ich parasite is eradicated you must go fallow for minimum of 76 days in DT. How many days was he in the DT before moving to QT?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are 100% you're dealing with ich. I suggest cupramine at therapeutic levels. Raise copper levels slowly over 3-4days to .50ppm. You'll need a good copper test to ensure you don't overdose, I used the Hanna Checker. Most accurate. Ich X is not an effective treatment for ich unfortunately.

Furthermore, if you want to be 100% sure that the ich parasite is eradicated you must go fallow for minimum of 76 days in DT. How many days was he in the DT before moving to QT?

OP
OP
hippiefish1104

hippiefish1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I recently had an ich outbreak and went fallow for 12 weeks. During this period I did not add anything wet to my tank.

To clarify, the angel was in DT and moved to QT? If so, how many days was he in tank and what other livestock do you have?

It is hard to tell by the pic, are there salt like granules on the fish? Is he demonstrating any strange behavior such as darting, scratching, yawning, etc?

The angel was originally in a qt tank then I moved her to my 70 gal display tank which has been fallow for 30 days due to some disease outbreak that killed everything off but my clownfish . No strange behavior. She just is blotchy and has white spots on her. Still swimming around and eating as of now.

OP
OP
hippiefish1104

hippiefish1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got her a day ago. And she was placed in quarantine. She started to develop the disease in QT. Then I moved her to my fallow display tank.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angel was originally in a qt tank then I moved her to my 70 gal display tank which has been fallow for 30 days due to some disease outbreak that killed everything off but my clownfish . No strange behavior. She just is blotchy and has white spots on her. Still swimming around and eating as of now.

Good sign that she is still eating. I suggest cupramine at therapeutic levels back in your QT tank asap. Raise copper levels slowly over 3-4days to .50ppm. You'll need a good copper test to ensure you don't overdose, I used the Hanna Checker. Most accurate. Ich X is not an effective treatment for ich unfortunately.

Furthermore, if you want to be 100% sure that the ich parasite is eradicated you must go fallow for minimum of 76 days in DT. Annoying I know but this is the only way to eradicate these parasites.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me. Additional, I see discoloration on the body of the fish that is larger in diameter than ich and are flushed vs raised salt crystals that are visible on his tail.

Others please chime in... but I would definitely prep up to treat for ich. If you act fast while the fish is eating your chances look good. Also give him a really good feeding now and help keep his immune system strong. That can help to fight off ich temporarily while you set up.

I also mentioned above about cupramine and slowly add to therapeutic levels for 4 weeks minimum, 76 days fallow in display.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back