ICH? Posting for a Friend

Ich?

• Yes Ich

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No Ich

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey- I have a friend who is new to the hobby- he inherited a tank and before I knew him, bought a whole bunch of fish- He now is setting up a QT tank, and i am directing the setup of it :)- THERE ARE NO WHITE SPOTS AT ALL
Take a look at this vid and tell me if the Blue tang has ich- Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey- I have a friend who is new to the hobby- he inherited a tank and before I knew him, bought a whole bunch of fish- He now is setting up a QT tank, and i am directing the setup of it :)- THERE ARE NO WHITE SPOTS AT ALL
Take a look at this vid and tell me if the Blue tang has ich- Thanks!

Any chance of a closer video or picture? It does look like she's rubbing against the rocks. Have to have a closer look.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, but she appears to be breathing fast and rubbing against the rocks in the second video. Ich can be opportunistic and begin its onset in the gills before moving on to the exterior of the fish where you would see it. @Humblefish can offer more insight than myself.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, but she appears to be breathing fast and rubbing against the rocks in the second video. Ich can be opportunistic and begin its onset in the gills before moving on to the exterior of the fish where you would see it. @Humblefish can offer more insight than myself.

+1 It probably has either a parasite or worm inside the gills, based on the behavior I'm seeing.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So put in QT and treat with copper? Or Prazi?

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is going to be tricky- he's at my "friends" house (he contacted me out of nowhere and asked me for help and i couldnt turn him down- he lives 5 hours away and he has no idea about anything- he is on the phone with me asking if he should buy another tank (red sea max 130) and i keep telling him to stick with only one thank, but hes 18 and wants to expand ;)..... He was topping off with tap water and just adding salt mix to the tank uggghhhh!! Let my try to slowly explain a FW dip to him, just give me a sec :) :eek::D:confused::mad::(;):)

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
See if you can have him facetime you during it maybe? It'll be like your there!! That's how I help my friends at least that live longer than I can drive at the moment of need.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah- he has a flip phone UGGGHHHHH

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... the second video shows us more. It does look like it is rubbing against the rockscape and it does appear to have labored breathing.

Whatever the cause, placing it in a QT tank would be wise. If other inhabitants start to display the same behavior, he can move them in as well.

I'm not an expert on ICH and only recently had to deal with it for the first time (I'm only in the hobby 8 years).

I was successful doing daily FW dips 5 minutes in duration and dropping my salinity in the QT to 1.012 for 6 weeks. Also, I added a wood airstone to up O2. He has been eating, happy and spot free for 40 days now... and I still worry about putting him in the new DT I'm going to build.

So in my limited experience, I'm in favor of this conservative approach, moving on to medication only if hypo-salinity and FW dips are ineffective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And- get this- HE HAS NO HEATER BUT HE HAS A CHILLER!- he keeps his tank between 68-71

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 12.35.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 12.35.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 12.35.58 PM.png

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and he also just dosed his entire tank with cupermarine with nems and corals and a cowfish- what do you think happened? (100 gallon system, dosed 100 ml of cupermarine- normal dose is 1ml per 10.5 gallons) He calls me "Hey dude, i just put this copper medicine in my tank like the FS told me, how long should i wait?"
OMG- im about ready to give up
pls excuse my rant :)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and he also just dosed his entire tank with cupermarine with nems and corals and a cowfish- what do you think happened? (100 gallon system, dosed 100 ml of cupermarine- normal dose is 1ml per 10.5 gallons) He calls me "Hey dude, i just put this copper medicine in my tank like the FS told me, how long should i wait?"
OMG- im about ready to give up
pls excuse my rant :)

I am at a loss to understand why he would add an inhabitant to the tank when he is treating for a disease?

He/She needs to back up, take a deep breath and slow down. On the current path, this is going to end badly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back