Ich Problem please help!!

Jen Govoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have had a very very well running tank and then just recently got 3 fish from a fish store and now all 3 of them have ich. I’m worried they will spread it to my other fish. Can anyone with experience tell me what to do? Thanks!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

Jen Govoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what our Scopas Tang looks like and we have a clown tang that just has a few white spots on it.

F09E0BB0-3051-4824-850A-9F6652E16F52.png

Damienlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few things you need to consider are the fish still eating if yes I it’s not really that bad nutrients for the fish is one of the main ways to fight back next if you are doing frozen food which I highly suggest now you can put the treatment in the food that let it soak that way the fish are digesting that food and the medicine next I recommend this over copper besides if you have Corals and See a mushroom in the back using copper in a reef Tank is Highly not recommend lastly like I said before feeding the fish often(no less than 2 times a day) is their way of fighting back so putting good frozen food in the tank definitely using Nori because they are Tangs this will help you win the fight against Ick

Good luck

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reef safe medication for ich. You have to decide if you are going to manage the parasite or cure all your fish.

If you choose to cure the fish, they’ll all need to be removed from the display tank and treated with copper, hypo, CP, or TTM.

If you choose to manage the disease, you’ll probably want to consider a UV filter.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
begin with a freshwater dip, and reduce your salt level to hypo-salinity level.
Diet: Add garlic extract to foods for immune system and you may try Ruby's Ick guard which is actually reef safe but dose at 75% of recommended
Temperature should be 78-80 during treatment.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put them in your DT with the other fish? If so your tank now has ich. So you have the 2 options like @Paul Sands said.

OP
OP
J

Jen Govoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a very high quality protein skimmer that takes up nearly the entire space of my set up and a carbon filter. I have been changing the filter socks more often also. I will look into a UV filter and get one ordered. Is there any you could recommend? Also can I ask you can you be a little more detailed in what you were describing in your treatment? I know how to run my 120 gallon tank (has tons of mushroom coral a very large anemone and numerous fish) but I’ve never had ich. So, I’m not sure some of the “salt water tank lingo” you’re mentioning. Thank you for taking the time!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I have a very high quality protein skimmer that takes up nearly the entire space of my set up and a carbon filter. I have been changing the filter socks more often also. I will look into a UV filter and get one ordered. Is there any you could recommend? Also can I ask you can you be a little more detailed in what you were describing in your treatment? I know how to run my 120 gallon tank (has tons of mushroom coral a very large anemone and numerous fish) but I’ve never had ich. So, I’m not sure some of the “salt water tank lingo” you’re mentioning. Thank you for taking the time!!

Unfortunately - none of your things are likely to be that helpful *unless your filter socks are small enough to filter out CI. The skimmer will help perhaps - but not fix the problem. It might help if you asked what part you didn't understand about the recommendations?

I think what was said was: remove the fish from the tank - and treat them for CI (ICH) with Copper or another medication as per directions - and leave the tank with no fish in it for 76 days (i.e.the fish need to be out of the tank that long) - or

Try to decrease the amount of CI in yoru tank (the free swimming infectious parasites - by UV or diatomaceous earth filtration or just waiting. A certain number of fish will likely survive (assuming its CI and not velvet) - perhaps all - depending on their underlying immunity.

Its certainly a hassle/nerve wracking time either way - good luck:). Others will likely respond as well

Fowler freak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat your fish in a quarantine tank and dose copper. Leave your display tank fishless for at least 76 days to Eradicate ich. Afterwards never add anything to your display tank unless it’s been quarantined/treated. I’m going through what you’re going through at the moment and it sucks to say the least. Ich management is a ticking time bomb vs ich eradication (pain in the butt) will make the hobby so much more enjoyable.

OP
OP
J

Jen Govoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately - none of your things are likely to be that helpful *unless your filter socks are small enough to filter out CI. The skimmer will help perhaps - but not fix the problem. It might help if you asked what part you didn't understand about the recommendations?

I think what was said was: remove the fish from the tank - and treat them for CI (ICH) with Copper or another medication as per directions - and leave the tank with no fish in it for 76 days (i.e.the fish need to be out of the tank that long) - or

Try to decrease the amount of CI in yoru tank (the free swimming infectious parasites - by UV or diatomaceous earth filtration or just waiting. A certain number of fish will likely survive (assuming its CI and not velvet) - perhaps all - depending on their underlying immunity.

Its certainly a hassle/nerve wracking time either way - good luck:). Others will likely respond as well
Ok thank you very much.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If remember from a recent post, that you recently started maintaining the tank and that it was your husband that used to do all that? I imagine that this is an overwhelming time for you and understandably confusing taking all off this on. Did your husband keep a separate aquarium for keeping fish for a few weeks before he added them to your 120 gal (display tank/DT)? The separate aquarium is called a quarantine tank (QT). Many fish keepers have them to check over their new fish for a period of time, treat with medication if needed, and securing their overall health. Here are some forums to get you started below. Read the sticky articles (the ones with red pins) at the top. They are good reads and help get you started. @Big G posted a link and it is a good one about ich. You will find it on my second link below under "fish disease index" or if you click on his link (he was your 2nd post) it will take you right to it.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jen Govoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If remember from a recent post, that you recently started maintaining the tank and that it was your husband that used to do all that? I imagine that this is an overwhelming time for you and understandably confusing taking all off this on. Did your husband keep a separate aquarium for keeping fish for a few weeks before he added them to your 120 gal (display tank/DT)? The separate aquarium is called a quarantine tank (QT). Many fish keepers have them to check over their new fish for a period of time, treat with medication if needed, and securing their overall health. Here are some forums to get you started below. Read the sticky articles (the ones with red pins) at the top. They are good reads and help get you started. @Big G posted a link and it is a good one about ich. You will find it on my second link below under "fish disease index" or if you click on his link (he was your 2nd post) it will take you right to it.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

OP
OP
J

Jen Govoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that post was me. It has been a very difficult time but I did watch him a lot and incredibly I’ve gotten the hang of it. I’ve had salt water aquariums since I was 18. But no he did not have a separate tank, we added them and a day later they were already showing spots. They are eating very well so I’m keeping my fingers crossed they and my other fish will be ok and they’ll overcome it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back