OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much I can add to this discussion, except to note that I think you've pulled this all together amazingly well, @joro, given the short timeframe. I hope these guys make it!

~Bruce, impressed
Thank you and of course, wish I didn’t have too. Just glad to have a bunch of stores (for pets, tractor supplies, etc) close by and same day delivery by Amazon - definitely a life saver potentially! ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just add that you have 48 hours from when you added the first group of fish to get the copper up to therapeutic. After that tomonts in the QT can start releasing free swimmers, reinfecting fish.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to thank you all again, it's an amazing group we have here at R2R and is why I, along with many others, contribute! You all certainly didn't disappoint in this situation :cool:

Just another quick update - everyone is tucked in for the night with lights out and - based on advice here and from my local club members - I did decide to dose around 60% concentration of the cooper this evening which I'll follow-up with the additional dose tomorrow once I add more water (I'm only about 45G currently but will add another ~45G tomorrow once it's had a chance to mix/heat). The Achilles and the Tusk were both on their sides when lights went out but I'm hoping they pull through as they were troopers through the dips. I'll let you all know what happens in the AM. Thanks again!

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Update - Unfortunately both the Achilles and Tusk were dead this morning when I went downstairs :( Their other two HT mates; however, are still good swimming around and not breathing heavily, so I believe the advanced stage of velvet was simply too much to overcome even with the extreme measures. My plan today is to try and catch the others and get them in the 60% HT concentration currently which I'll raise to 100% tonight should I be able to catch them all. Is it still recommended to dose Kanaplex / Furan-2 as a preventative? I have both on hand so is either "better" for this situation than the other?

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Update - Unfortunately both the Achilles and Tusk were dead this morning when I went downstairs :( Their other two HT mates; however, are still good swimming around and not breathing heavily, so I believe the advanced stage of velvet was simply too much to overcome even with the extreme measures. My plan today is to try and catch the others and get them in the 60% HT concentration currently which I'll raise to 100% tonight should I be able to catch them all. Is it still recommended to dose Kanaplex / Furan-2 as a preventative? I have both on hand so is either "better" for this situation than the other?
Sorry for your loss, they were beautiful fish.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used kanaplex when my fish had velvet and it worked very well. The experts may have a better answer for you then my limited experience.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still recommended to dose Kanaplex / Furan-2 as a preventative? I have both on hand so is either "better" for this situation than the other?

I wouldn't (at this time) unless you see visible signs of a secondary infection. It is enough for the fish just to adjust to the presence of copper in the water; I wouldn't want to also expose them to antibiotics just yet.

Sorry for your losses...

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't (at this time) unless you see visible signs of a secondary infection. It is enough for the fish just to adjust to the presence of copper in the water; I wouldn't want to also expose them to antibiotics just yet.

Sorry for your losses...
Thanks and noted. I’m almost ready to put another 40G in the HT that I mixed/heated overnight which will finally allow me to start the AC110. There was a slight amount of ammonia in the water (0.25 ppm according to API) which I think is partially due to the deaths overnight and lack of running the filter with BioSpira (although I did put some in the water just to help a bit). I’ve been soaking the filter media overnight in the Biospira and have another bottle on standby if needed.

Heater should be here in the next few hours but the two that I put in temporarily last night seem to be holding everything stable for now which is good.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are testing for ammonia using a liquid test kit, the presence of copper will cause false positives. Best to monitor using a Seachem ammonia alert badge.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are testing for ammonia using a liquid test kit, the presence of copper will cause false positives. Best to monitor using a Seachem ammonia alert badge.

Got it and that will be here tommorrow, should I just watch for heavy breathing tonight or is there a better way to gauge whether the Ammonia is creeping up to much? I know I can’t use Prime with the copper in the water but any other options should it happen to get higher?

Heater just arrived, going in now ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it and that will be here tommorrow, should I just watch for heavy breathing tonight or is there a better way to gauge whether the Ammonia is creeping up to much? I know I can’t use Prime with the copper in the water but any other options should it happen to get higher?

I can smell ammonia in the water, but maybe I'm just weird like that. :p

Heavy breathing and gills turning pink are two indicators of ammonia being present in the water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can smell it at low concentrations? Wow, that’s a talent for sure :p

Yes, I can also taste even slight traces of ammonia in the water. This is what almost 40 years of being around saltwater aquariums does to the senses. I think I'm OK though...

giphy.gif

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after “fishing” most of the afternoon, I still can’t catch any of the others. So I’m going to pick up 5-6 44G brute cans to drain the DT tomorrow to make it easier. Which brings up a few questions:
  1. The 2 fish that are in the HT at roughly 65% concentration of copper should I go ahead and bring them up to 100% tonight or wait to get everyone else tomorrow then bring them up from 65% -> 100%?
  2. On the DT, can my corals/anemone be out of the water safely for maybe 10-15 minutes while I catch everyone? I can pump it right back in once everyone is captured.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 fish that are in the HT at roughly 65% concentration of copper should I go ahead and bring them up to 100% tonight or wait to get everyone else tomorrow then bring them up from 65% -> 100%?

If 48 hrs will pass before getting all remaining fish into the QT, get your Cu level up to at least 1.5 ppm (Coppersafe) or 0.35 ppm (Cupramine). You can raise it up to 2.0 or 0.5, respectively, after that.

On the DT, can my corals/anemone be out of the water safely for maybe 10-15 minutes while I catch everyone? I can pump it right back in once everyone is captured.

That's a tough call because different corals have varying tolerances to being out of water. What kind of corals do you primarily have? Softies, LPS, SPS? Maybe #reefsquad can help answer this.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough call because different corals have varying tolerances to being out of water. What kind of corals do you primarily have? Softies, LPS, SPS? Maybe #reefsquad can help answer this.
It may be easier to have a container with tank water to put the coral in next to the tank. Lowering the water level may help you catch the fish as well.

Many can stay out for a bit but the nem will be MAD.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m trying to avoid is having to move the rocks (which the various corals are glued to) do moving them into a separate container is not a preferred option if possible.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m trying to avoid is having to move the rocks (which the various corals are glued to) do moving them into a separate container is not a preferred option if possible.
Then you'll likely be fine just draining.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you'll likely be fine just draining.
So I think I might be able to keep enough water in to cover th me bulk of the corals but just a few SPS will be in the air for maybe 10-15 minutes. My tank is tall (36” to be exact) so maybe if I get it down to 1/3 full I can get everyone.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back