Ich

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clown fish I started my take about two weeks ago and I’ve had them ever since I think one of them may have ich there’s only two little white spots maybe three I actually just fed them and they were both eating fine I have hermit crabs etc. and two corals I have copper safe by Fritz but I know I can’t put that in there with all of the inverts what should I do?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your sure its ich the best thing to do is to put the fish in a qt/hospital tank and treat with copper. Leaving the display fishless for long enough will kill the ich as it can't finish its life cycle.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clown fish I started my take about two weeks ago and I’ve had them ever since I think one of them may have ich there’s only two little white spots maybe three I actually just fed them and they were both eating fine I have hermit crabs etc. and two corals I have copper safe by Fritz but I know I can’t put that in there with all of the inverts what should I do?
It's not uncommon for fish to fight ich naturally if given the right conditions. They require a balanced diet with heavy feeding, often supplementing the food with products such as Seachem vitality will help their immune system fight it off.
With that being said - ich will remain in the aquarium as long as a fish is in there, whether they appear to have symptoms or not. The only way to completely remove it is by going several months without fish in there, and the existing fish would need to be treated in a separate tank as you are correct the copper will kill the inverts, and prevent you from ever keeping any again.
Either option is acceptable and neither is right nor wrong, I use the first option and have for many years, it is not a guarantee, but neither is treatment.

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not uncommon for fish to fight ich naturally if given the right conditions. They require a balanced diet with heavy feeding, often supplementing the food with products such as Seachem vitality will help their immune system fight it off.
With that being said - ich will remain in the aquarium as long as a fish is in there, whether they appear to have symptoms or not. The only way to completely remove it is by going several months without fish in there, and the existing fish would need to be treated in a separate tank as you are correct the copper will kill the inverts, and prevent you from ever keeping any again.
Either option is acceptable and neither is right nor wrong, I use the first option and have for many years

Either option is acceptable and neither is right nor wrong, I use the first option and have for many years, it is not a guarantee, but neither is treatment.
if i use method one since you say ich will always be in there does that mean i cant get anymore fish?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i use method one since you say ich will always be in there does that mean i cant get anymore fish?
It does not mean you can not get any more fish, but you will need to remember that it is entirely possible the new fish will get infected. By choosing very healthy specimens, staying away from ich prone fish, and researching fish that are less susceptible to ich the chances can be reduced quite a lot, but can never become a guarantee.

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i see your from cary im about an hour and a half from you, how do you like "The Fish room" ive never been there.
It does not mean you can not get any more fish, but you will need to remember that it is entirely possible the new fish will get infected. By choosing very healthy specimens, staying away from ich prone fish, and researching fish that are less susceptible to ich the chances can be reduced quite a lot, but can never become a guarantee

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i see your from cary im about an hour and a half from you, how do you like "The Fish room" ive never been there.
Fintastic aquariums is the best store in the triangle imo. Not a huge fan of The Fish Room.
Fintastic has some pretty nice sales on Friday thru Sunday. If you follow them on FB, they post a flier every Friday with their stock and sales. I believe the FB is called "Fintastic Aquariums of Wake County"

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fintastic aquariums is the best store in the triangle imo. Not a huge fan of The Fish Room.
Fintastic has some pretty nice sales on Friday thru Sunday. If you follow them on FB, they post a flier every Friday with their stock and sales. I believe the FB is called "Fintastic Aquariums of Wake County"
yes I've heard of them they seem like a pretty awesome fish store I'll definitely have to check them out

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou for your help!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I've heard of them they seem like a pretty awesome fish store I'll definitely have to check them out
If you ever go around Charlotte there is a lfs there called Nemos Reef that I absolutely love. I will drive from WV just to go to that store. Plus they list their current fish stock list online with prices so you can see what they have before going. They also have a list of corals online, but they way more corals than listed online.

How big is your tank? If it's a small tank that you could easily take all of the fish out of for treatment in the future then just hoping for the best probably isn't a big deal. If your tank is big and will eventually have a lot of fish then it is worth it to deal with the ich now and properly remove it to avoid problems in the future. With only two clownfish you could setup a quarantine tank for very cheap. I just started treating some of my fish with copper in qt for the first time and it seems like it's going to be easy to do. From now on all fish I buy will be going through a copper treatment before going into my tank (except for fish that don't handle copper well).

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have no other tank… :(
Here's the thing, unless you qt corals and inverts, or are rlly diligent on removing every nonliving tissue or material on the frag, colony, etc and brushing down any shells, ich is bound to get into your tank whether you realize it or not. Most people don't have the resources to setup and maintain two qt's and maintain reef level params in one of them. It get's very expensive in an already pricey hobby. I think your best bet is to treat your fish this once with copper power or something similar at the therapeutic level for 30 days in a seperate tank in order to have a clean slate. Depending on your tank size, employ live rock, phyto, pods, bacteria, and extra nutrients and vitamins in your fish food. Adding a UV would also significantly help. This helps add biodiversity to your system, and with the addition of the UV, ich is almost negligible. I would still qt any fish and be diligent about brushing and removing dead tissue and frag plugs in order to prevent some of the nastier diseases like velvet, brook, uronema, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you post a couple of pics under white light? A lot of assumption its ich and can be brooklynella or even lymphocystis

OP
OP
stephenm894

stephenm894

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a couple of pics under white light? A lot of assumption its ich and can be brooklynella or even lymphocystis
I’m not home at the current moment When I first looked it seemed like there was two or three dots I went to go look again maybe 30 mins later and I only say one dot on the fin

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back