OP
SudoGeeks

SudoGeeks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATI test kit shows that it will be here today. @ATI North America what day is it best to send the test kits to your California office so that I get results quickest? I think you guys ship to Germany on Fridays...

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I`m sorry for my English language.
I have Tin problem for 8 months and I lost all of my SPS corals. In first they close the polyps and after that start the STN. I search in web sites and my tank for anything that you can think to it. I sent 3 times tank water to ICP Aquaforest and Triton. but I can`t find the solution. some body said our Aquamedic titanium heater causes it. some body said flot glass is problem, but after a few weeks it should stopped. some body said magnets, metals, bad Salts, suplments ...
But none of them could solved my problem.
finally I find that carbon filters in stages 2 and 3 in RO/DI machine causes it. ;Blackeyewhen I open its hosing, I saw that the iron rust was deposited from the inside of the filter to the outside of the filter. after I changed the filter My problem has been solved.
Important: TDS Meters can`t show Tin in Ro/DI water. I check RO/DI water with 3 TDS Meter and they all showed Zero

Some plastic parts have metal inside. Check any plastic push connections like reverse osmosis push connect valves. They have metal inside.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI shows tin. How did you open the carbon blocks to find the rust?

Not sure what you want to do. Why would you open one?

How much tin in the RO/DI?

I'd be surprised if a problematic level of tin (not every detectable level is a problem) was coming through an RO/DI with 0 ppm TDS effluent, but if very high, may be coming from something after the RO/DI (like the storage container, a metal part in the RO/DI, etc.).

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you want to do. Why would you open one?

How much tin in the RO/DI?

I'd be surprised if a problematic level of tin (not every detectable level is a problem) was coming through an RO/DI with 0 ppm TDS effluent, but if very high, may be coming from something after the RO/DI (like the storage container, a metal part in the RO/DI, etc.).
The previous poster had said he found the rust in his carbon blocks so I was curious to see how he did that. In tank tin is at 27.68ug/l and silicon is at 1551ug/l. RODI Tin 11.01ug/l silicon 584ug/l. I appreciate your insight. I do not see any negative effect in tank but want to be ahead of a problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous poster had said he found the rust in his carbon blocks so I was curious to see how he did that. In tank tin is at 27.68ug/l and silicon is at 1551ug/l. RODI Tin 11.01ug/l silicon 584ug/l. I appreciate your insight. I do not see any negative effect in tank but want to be ahead of a problem.

Carbon blocks turn orange on the outside when there is substantial iron sediment in the water. Mine do. No need to open them to see it. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not convinced the main tin source for the tank is that RO/DI water (adding 1% daily replacing evaporation would take most of a year to reach that level, with no concurrent tin export from the tank) , and I'm also not convinced that what is in the RO/DI is actually exiting the DI of the system (assuming 0 ppm TDS), but I can't prove either hypothesis.

The silicon coming from RO/DI is not uncommon. It is one of the easiest things to get through an RO/DI.

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced the main tin source for the tank is that RO/DI water (adding 1% daily replacing evaporation would take most of a year to reach that level, with no concurrent tin export from the tank) , and I'm also not convinced that what is in the RO/DI is actually exiting the DI of the system (assuming 0 ppm TDS), but I can't prove either hypothesis.

The silicon coming from RO/DI is not uncommon. It is one of the easiest things to get through an RO/DI.
Thank you so much! Really appreciate your thoughts!

OP
OP
SudoGeeks

SudoGeeks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shipped off my ATI test this morning, I will post those results when they come back to see how much different it is from the first ICP test I had run.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
How high is too high? Just wondering. I looked at what was shared above and compared it to what my report said but I am not sure if it is something to correct or not. My Zinc is off the charts according to the results. You mentioned how does his frogspawn look which is why I'm asking. I have two Hammer colonies that are not doing good ever since I've moved them to the new tank.

I can't imagine it is in the rock I used (Pukani) but I wouldn't put it past it. Then a few others suggested magnets for which I removed the Maxspect Gyre that I had mounted on the overflow tank wall (external magnet was in overflow water). I still have a tunz algae scraper and magnetic algae clip.

Confusing let alone how to correct, if needed, without water changes.

upload_2018-11-3_8-23-21.png

OP
OP
SudoGeeks

SudoGeeks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a fairly large amount, though. How do the frogspawns look now?

After receiving the test results, the next day I did as they suggested and did the first of 3 20% water changes. Honestly the frogspawns look the same to me. The current plan is to complete the 3 water changes as prescribed and then submit another test to see where the numbers are.

How high is too high? Just wondering. I looked at what was shared above and compared it to what my report said but I am not sure if it is something to correct or not. My Zinc is off the charts according to the results. You mentioned how does his frogspawn look which is why I'm asking. I have two Hammer colonies that are not doing good ever since I've moved them to the new tank.

I can't imagine it is in the rock I used (Pukani) but I wouldn't put it past it. Then a few others suggested magnets for which I removed the Maxspect Gyre that I had mounted on the overflow tank wall (external magnet was in overflow water). I still have a tunz algae scraper and magnetic algae clip.

Confusing let alone how to correct, if needed, without water changes.

upload_2018-11-3_8-23-21.png

I can't say for sure but I was told by at least one person running the Triton method that they had significant Acro die off at just 14ug/l Sn. For what its worth my hammers look fine, its just the two frogspawns that are having issues. My Acros seem fine apart from losing a ton of color and slowing their growth rate to nearly nothing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI shows tin. How did you open the carbon blocks to find the rust?

How much tin? RO/DI at 0 ppm TDS is not likely to be a significant source, whether ICP detects some or not.

If there is a lot of tin in your RO/DI, it most liekly came after the DI somehow.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure but I was told by at least one person running the Triton method that they had significant Acro die off at just 14ug/l Sn. .

No one can say for sure, without knowing more than we know about the forms of tin present in any particular tank.

U

User1

View Badges
After receiving the test results, the next day I did as they suggested and did the first of 3 20% water changes. Honestly the frogspawns look the same to me. The current plan is to complete the 3 water changes as prescribed and then submit another test to see where the numbers are.

I can't say for sure but I was told by at least one person running the Triton method that they had significant Acro die off at just 14ug/l Sn. For what its worth my hammers look fine, its just the two frogspawns that are having issues. My Acros seem fine apart from losing a ton of color and slowing their growth rate to nearly nothing.

I'm starting to think maybe the high Zinc is causing issues with my rose bubble tips not opening anymore and hammers bleaching. Kenya tree and some green button polyps are doing great but this is the first time I've seen the anemones act like this. Everything else is more or less fine has it was prior to the tank merge but that Zinc number seems high. Is a water change the only way to safely remove? If so I'm going to have to do several water changes back to back I guess to try and lower it. I mean my numbers are an order of magnitude or two higher than their reference :(

OP
OP
SudoGeeks

SudoGeeks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several products that claim to remove heavy metals, something like metasorb by TLF may help with this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several products that claim to remove heavy metals, something like metasorb by TLF may help with this.

Yes, those may help with tin, depending on the tin forms present. Polyfilters, metasorb, cuprisorb, etc. :)

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks @SudoGeeks and @Randy Holmes-Farley sounds like they would help with tin. I was reading a couple other threads and they all more or less suggested metasorb although it said it usually worked for tin, zinc not so much. In fact, not a lot I found said it specifically addressed zinc which is my highest elevated metal. Not even sure how it got into the tank although someone suggested hand lotion.

RI/RO results are ok although high silica being reported at 32.02 µg/l.

In any case thanks. I am making some water can at least do that. I'll also probably order metasorb, assuming it is safe for mixed reefs and fish, and see if that can also help. Let it ride out for a week, take another water sample and send it off to ATI and see what happens. Their results suggested 3 water changes anyway and I've not done one yet other than a smaller one to correct the salinity.

OP
OP
SudoGeeks

SudoGeeks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @SudoGeeks and @Randy Holmes-Farley sounds like they would help with tin. I was reading a couple other threads and they all more or less suggested metasorb although it said it usually worked for tin, zinc not so much. In fact, not a lot I found said it specifically addressed zinc which is my highest elevated metal. Not even sure how it got into the tank although someone suggested hand lotion.

RI/RO results are ok although high silica being reported at 32.02 µg/l.

In any case thanks. I am making some water can at least do that. I'll also probably order metasorb, assuming it is safe for mixed reefs and fish, and see if that can also help. Let it ride out for a week, take another water sample and send it off to ATI and see what happens. Their results suggested 3 water changes anyway and I've not done one yet other than a smaller one to correct the salinity.

Did you see my RODI results?

Silicon 3175 µg/l

I suspect the DI is completely spent on mine but no other elements were present so maybe not? I did read an article by Randy stating that he actually was dosing Si in his tank for a while and I have heard Si can be or is neutral charged so it's really difficult for DI resin to remove it. Maybe Randy can fill in the blanks and correct anything I have said that's incorrect.

Back