Icp results

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone help me with my icp results. Usually use triton but tried a different company, oceamo.
It looks like my main problems are the metals which is caused by something rusting but forn the lifenofnme I can't find whatever it is!

Also trace elements seem to be low, I'm dosing triton other method at 15ml which is keeping alk, calcium and magnesium in check but what about trace elements now! they always seem to be low, is there anything I can dose additionally to triton?

Screenshot_20220508-105002_Office.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone help me with my icp results. Usually use triton but tried a different company, oceamo.
It looks like my main problems are the metals which is caused by something rusting but forn the lifenofnme I can't find whatever it is!

Also trace elements seem to be low, I'm dosing triton other method at 15ml which is keeping alk, calcium and magnesium in check but what about trace elements now! they always seem to be low, is there anything I can dose additionally to triton?

Screenshot_20220508-105002_Office.jpg
What problem is occurring in your tank that concerns you?

There is nothing particularly problematic I can see in those results.

How often and how large are your water changes.
You could run poly filter for a while to reduce metals if you wish.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could try Cuprisorb, and if it were me...and it was at one point...I'd go with the Moonshiners method. it's helped my tank immensely

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What problem is occurring in your tank that concerns you?

There is nothing particularly problematic I can see in those results.

How often and how large are your water changes.
You could run poly filter for a while to reduce metals if you wish.
I'm not really seeing any negative effects actually everything's doing pretty well at the min other than a clam loss. But saying that anything I can do which will benefit the tank I'd like to try, like trace elements and polyfilter as you suggested.
But this is their take on the results;

"Dear James!
Sorry to hear about your clam losses! Actually the analysis reveals several factors in your tank that
should be adressed:
Salinity in your tank is low: We recommend to increase salinity slowly (max 0,5 psu per day) to 33-35
psu. Also it is recommended to check your measurement device, if it reads correctly. For this reason
you can use our reference solutions.

Calcium is elevated (fort he given salinity), the dosing amount should be reduced.

Boron is below the optimum concentration. Boron is part of the pH buffer in seawater. Especially LPS
coral can show symptoms if boron is deficient. We recommend raising boron to the recommended
concentration.

Magnesium is elevated, which is in contrast to your measurements. Magnesium should not be dosed
extra at the moment.

Strontium is low: Strontium is incorporated into the coral skeleton the same way calcium is (so there is
a regular demand). If calcium (without strontium) is supplemented, strontium levels are expected to
fall. I do recommend dosing strontium back into the optimum concentration range, followed by
regular dosing.

Regarding trace elements there is a deficiency in iodine: The consumption rate of this important trace
element can vary from tank to tank, in your case its suggested to dose regularly, and see after the
next ICP analysis if the dosing amount should be adopted.

Now to the (ultra) trace elements: Several metals are significantly elevated. This includes cobalt,
copper and zinc. Those elevated values point towards a corrossion issue in your tank, id recommend
checking specifically (pump)magnets. The elevated metals can be harmful for tank inhabitants.

In contrast several other trace elements are present in too little concentration: Chromium, Iron,
Vanadium. Those elements have biological significance and should this be dosed daily. A very easy
way tot o so is Oceamo Custom Elements,

Also selenium is very low. This element is only measureable in the relevant range with ICP-MS.
Selenium is associated with antioxidative properties, and is thus likely tob e very helpful, especially in a
high light environment. It is recommended to dose selenium in regular intervals (but in small
amounts).
Molybdenum is low: This element is considered important for many metabolic processes including
photosynthesis. Increasing Molybdenum into the target range is recommended"

Last edited:
OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity looks low to me. What do you think it is?
1.025 or 34 ppt I think, checked it with both salinity checkers. Have a refractometer and just got a xodis digital salinity meter which says the same. So I'm not sure, on the icp it said it was 30ppt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.025 or 34 ppt I think, checked it with both salinity checkers. Have a refractometer and just got a xodis digital salinity meter which says the same. So I'm not sure, on the icp it said it was 30ppt.

I'd make or buy a salinity standard appropriate for the devices you are using and see if they are accurate.

Certainly, looking for a metal part is appropriate, A hose clamp or something like that.

Back