Icp test results

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my triton results back and need some expert advice / opinions on what it’s reading.

08B9FA7F-8497-4631-ADF2-4375ADC90C51.png

3B1EBA64-65F9-473B-8B9A-8491DE6C2006.png

9CAC3F1C-776E-40B7-AA90-FE94C4198125.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good in general but IMO you have some issues Cr, Fe and I

You have high readings of Cr and Fe. Because you have both of them I would look after some chromated iron in your set up or if you have dropped some chromated clips into your aquarium.

You are low in I and if you run a refugium - fix it. In my taste - a little low in PO4 too - but that´s my taste :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good in general but IMO you have some issues Cr, Fe and I

You have high readings of Cr and Fe. Because you have both of them I would look after some chromated iron in your set up or if you have dropped some chromated clips into your aquarium.

You are low in I and if you run a refugium - fix it. In my taste - a little low in PO4 too - but that´s my taste :)

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you ! Could it also be a overdose on trace elements? I’ve been dosing the Red Sea ABCD trace elements a few times a week

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Red Sea has a crazy high recommendation for iron (which you are far, far below), so that could easily be it and I wouldn't worry about the iron. The chromium is potentially a different matter, but I'm not sure how much is too much.

Any metal parts in the water? Hose clamp? Float switch?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ! Could it also be a overdose on trace elements? I’ve been dosing the Red Sea ABCD trace elements a few times a week

I have been there too. (overdosing ABCD) - its possible but its only Cr and Fe that´s high in your aquarium - not any other traces from ABCD - However - both are part of chromated iron. Look for any metals in contact with water as Randy state.

I have checked my Triton readings when I did an overdose of ABCD. No signs of high Fe and Cr - both 0. But other trace was out of the house. I can´t say if your Cr value is to high or not - my have always read 0

Sincerely Lasse

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked my Triton readings when I did an overdose of ABCD. No signs of high Fe and Cr - both 0. But other trace was out of the house.
are there details of this posted somewhere?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are there details of this posted somewhere?

No - not as special post. It was my old aquaria (Percula 120) and I got a crash back in 2015. I lost my interest in a while and was working very much with constructing a new indoor catfish farm. Early 2016 I sold it and start to plan my new tank.

Its started early 2015 with some fishes die – a triton test was send in – 1501. WC and a new test one month later. Fish did not die anymore – corals looks very good – and I mean it – never has look as good as that for 5 years.

I dose Colour ABCD with dosing pumps but did not connect the doses to Ca and alk consumption

Here a video shot a month before the final crash

In May 2015 I detected low figures of Clean up Crew, fish start to die again, and I start to do massive WC. Everything went back to normal but now my corals start to decline. I save the corals that could be saved – send them to David at the maritime museum – left the aquarium until I sold it in early 2016.

The main fault I did (and I did it – it was not a bad brand – method or so – only one to blame was myself) was dosing mixed compounds without any checking of figures. This type of reefing is not compatible with my person. Nowadays – I only dose single elements and check every 2 – 3 months.

IMO – it was the high K values that killed my fishes – it was not a disease – it was intoxication, but I have not any solid prove of this. The kill of my Clean-up Crew - probably a heavy metal.

I attach the two Triton tests

Sincerely Lasse

Attachments

• 152.pdf
    118.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 1501.pdf
    118.5 KB · Views: 212
OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Red Sea has a crazy high recommendation for iron (which you are far, far below), so that could easily be it and I wouldn't worry about the iron. The chromium is potentially a different matter, but I'm not sure how much is too much.

Any metal parts in the water? Hose clamp? Float switch?
No hose claps or float switches in the water, in my sump I have a life reef skimmer , heater, sice 1.5 pump, cor 15. In the DT just 2 mp10s. I take extra care not to use or leave metal objects in my system. Is there anything like media I can run to lower the chromium level ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hose claps or float switches in the water, in my sump I have a life reef skimmer , heater, sice 1.5 pump, cor 15. In the DT just 2 mp10s. I take extra care not to use or leave metal objects in my system. Is there anything like media I can run to lower the chromium level ?

I would think that media such as metasorb or cuprisorb or a boyd polyfilter could be effective. :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...It was my old aquaria (Percula 120) and I got a crash back in 2015. ....

I attach the two Triton tests
awesome info. one Q. We're you growing & exporting algae at the time leading up to when these metals showed up high?

I've always wondered how much luxury uptake from algae can save us from accumulating metals.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome info. one Q. We're you growing & exporting algae at the time leading up to when these metals showed up high?

I've always wondered how much luxury uptake from algae can save us from accumulating metals.

No refugium in that aquarium - one of the reason why I decided to construct my new with a fuge.

In my new aquaria - for the moment - I have some problems with Cu and Zn levels in spite of the fact that I run a fuge. However - i do not the level of the input - therefore it could have been worse without a fuge.

During this time - with rising levels of Cu and Zn levels - I have not use GFO or Al based phosphate removing media

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back