ID my new soft coral

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i got this new soft coral frag a couple day ago from my LFS and i cant remember what the guy told me it was. at first i thought it was a pulsing xenia but i'm starting to realize that the stalks and polyps look a little different on mine than xenias do and it hasnt pulsated. but one thing i know for sure is that it's a soft coral. can anyone help me ID this little guy? i'll attach a picture below

Untitled design - 2022-04-12T100531.967.png

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some kind of clove polyps I would say also.
Some look really cool and colourful but read so many stories they growing everywhere ( invasive) so putting me off a little,the firework cloves I'm liking best but they seem to be not that bad to remove if needed ,well sone of them anyway lol

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some kind of clove polyps I would say also.
Some look really cool and colourful but read so many stories they growing everywhere ( invasive) so putting me off a little,the firework cloves I'm liking best but they seem to be not that bad to remove if needed ,well sone of them anyway lol
They are hard to pull off, so it’s definitely best to move to its own rock if you get them.

OP
OP
R

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are hard to pull off, so it’s definitely best to move to its own rock if you get them.
thanks! it's on it's own rock right now because i was expecting rapid growth since i originally thought it was an xenia. it won't grow on sand, right? i have the caribsea bahamas oolite live sand

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! it's on it's own rock right now because i was expecting rapid growth since i originally thought it was an xenia. it won't grow on sand, right? i have the caribsea bahamas oolite live sand
It shouldn’t be able to grow on sand.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as I writing above about seems easy to remove them if they get out control ( I went from yeah if some corals like xenia, gsp,or clove polyps get invasive it's not like one day you got 4 polyps then next day look at tank and you have 200 lol ) to then thinking about all the threads I've read about people using flux ( can't remember correct name/ spelling ,fluxtocene or something ) to remove their invasive clove polyps.
I've read like keep xenia on its on rock so doesnt spread all over main rockwork ,but read they can detach themselves and just float away and land on main rock work anyway ,gsp ovbiously seems little easier as can often just peel/ cut it away especially if on flat surface, bit seen some say if some gsp left in crevices of rocks can grow back from little nub.

So back to clove polyps, what makes it so hard to remove if gets to much or whatever reason want trim it back or remove ?
Is it because how it reproduces sending out runners and they can be some left in the gaps/ crevices maybe ?
I'm asking as I really like look of firework clove polyps and often when go lfs to buy corals like last weekend for example seen a few different clove polyps and always get attracted to them and nearly buy them each and everytime ha ha

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as I writing above about seems easy to remove them if they get out control ( I went from yeah if some corals like xenia, gsp,or clove polyps get invasive it's not like one day you got 4 polyps then next day look at tank and you have 200 lol ) to then thinking about all the threads I've read about people using flux ( can't remember correct name/ spelling ,fluxtocene or something ) to remove their invasive clove polyps.
I've read like keep xenia on its on rock so doesnt spread all over main rockwork ,but read they can detach themselves and just float away and land on main rock work anyway ,gsp ovbiously seems little easier as can often just peel/ cut it away especially if on flat surface, bit seen some say if some gsp left in crevices of rocks can grow back from little nub.

So back to clove polyps, what makes it so hard to remove if gets to much or whatever reason want trim it back or remove ?
Is it because how it reproduces sending out runners and they can be some left in the gaps/ crevices maybe ?
I'm asking as I really like look of firework clove polyps and often when go lfs to buy corals like last weekend for example seen a few different clove polyps and always get attracted to them and nearly buy them each and everytime ha ha
I’ve found cloves to have a much stronger footing. Mine also grows on a dead sponge though, so that doesn’t help (it really has a strong grip there). On rock is easier to take off.
It’s easy to remove a small one that detaches and move somewhere else. I’d say go for it with the fireworks - they are such a nice looking coral.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found cloves to have a much stronger footing. Mine also grows on a dead sponge though, so that doesn’t help (it really has a strong grip there). On rock is easier to take off.
It’s easy to remove a small one that detaches and move somewhere else. I’d say go for it with the fireworks - they are such a nice looking coral.
Thanks for reply,yeah they are beautiful especially when devent sized colony.
My tank only just over year old.not sure if tank not mature enough or some corals just don't do well in some tanks,but tried 3 torches and longest lasted 3 months so just sticking to zoa/ paly,got 3 sps frags as testers and some other lps like bought this 5 head acan frag on Sunday, didn't notice skeloton poking up through flesh,( well little at end where recently cut but on first day noticed bi colour blenny nipping it,and see skeleton popping up now ,good thing all tentacles out at night so hopefully does ok but going to stick to mainly softies and easier to keep lps,had a lobo 7 months now and all big and fleshy and doing ok but no new heads.
Ovbiously not nipping at algae as plug pure brilliant white ha ha.
But yeah think i may get some firework cloves polyps next time go lfs or get them message me when they have them in etc and stick to softies,easier lps which prefer the movement rather than sps with little baby polyps

Attachments

• 20220411_133759.jpg
    20220411_133759.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 15

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back