ID of a potential encrusting SPS please

  • Thread starter Thread starter hhaase
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hhaase

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2019
Messages
425
Reaction score
345
What state or country do you live in
South Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should know better, but I really liked the color on this one and the price was decent, so I brought it home.

No idea what it is though.


HansReef-0047.JPG
 
I should know better, but I really liked the color on this one and the price was decent, so I brought it home.

No idea what it is though.


HansReef-0047.JPG
This doesn’t look like any SPS I’m familiar with. Looks like you have a chalice (a huge group of corals that are considered LPS). As for the specific genera or species, would need more reefers to weigh in.
 
You know, completely forgot about chalices for some reason. I'd agree, now that I've looked at it closely, that's pretty much what it looks like in person too. That'd be fantastic, either way I'm anxious to see how it grows out. If I get good growth out of it, I'll put some updates out as it grows.

Thank you all.

-Hans
 
You know, completely forgot about chalices for some reason. I'd agree, now that I've looked at it closely, that's pretty much what it looks like in person too. That'd be fantastic, either way I'm anxious to see how it grows out. If I get good growth out of it, I'll put some updates out as it grows.

Thank you all.

-Hans
Looking forward to see it grow out. I don’t really have much chalices just two as I am more of a blasto and euphyllia person when it comes to lps. However my chalices don’t really need much baby sitting, i just leave them on the sand bed and let them do their thing. As long as you don't overexpose them to the light and provide mild water flow, they will do just fine. Just be careful on coral placement though, chalices do have quite the sweeper tentacles. They will send them out especially at night. Give it space and it should do fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new