ID please. Is this a clam?

robbo3542

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2024
Messages
6
Reaction score
11
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,
I am asking to help me ID something that I think might be a clam.
It looks like it is attached to the rock on one side and I see only shell on top. It kind of moves up for about 2-3mm. It hides (closes) when touched (this is how I noticed it is not a rock, it must be something alive). I thought clams have 2 shells. This one seems to have only one. It is around 2.5 cm (1inch).

Thank you in advance for all responses.

1737076764309.png
 
Greetings,
I am asking to help me ID something that I think might be a clam.
It looks like it is attached to the rock on one side and I see only shell on top. It kind of moves up for about 2-3mm. It hides (closes) when touched (this is how I noticed it is not a rock, it must be something alive). I thought clams have 2 shells. This one seems to have only one. It is around 2.5 cm (1inch).

Thank you in advance for all responses.

1737076764309.png
limpet
 
I’m going with limpet or chiton.
 
Not a bivalve. To actually ID it we need better pictures.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new