ID please?

TexasFishDudeCC

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2024
Messages
8
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the first picture is so awful. This an an exhibit tank at work and the glare is horrid. I just wanted to show a zoomed put picture best I could. First 2 pictures are the same specimen. 3rd picture is listed as Montastrea and I'm fairly certain that's correct (I'm no coral expert though) lol. My question is; Are the both Montastrea species? If not, what is the first coral shown?
1000008017.jpg
1000007825.jpg
1000007836.jpg


1000008018.jpg 1000007816.jpg
 
Both look to be Montastraea cavernosa
Thanks so much for the reply! Do you know if one might be a variant of some sort? One is very deep purple with glowing green center and the other is green with a whiteish brown center.

All in all, thank you for the answer I needed! Now I can work on making them happier in my exhibits.
 
Much better picture here that I was able to get this morning .
1000008045.jpg
 
Montastraea are West-Atlantic endemics and are not normally found in the hobby, so your coral wouldn't have any trade name. Trade names are just there to bump up the price of the coral, so don't worry about them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new