ID please

jcan1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've been having some issues for the past few months with relentless slime (looks like snot globs) clinging to coral, rock, and even the glass in my tank. I first suspected it was due to air fresheners, so I removed all of those, including candles and the snot remains. I have had a very low nutrient tank for a while now, not so much on purpose but its just settled in that way. I stopped into my LFS and showed him a few photos of the slime and he quickly said "dinos" and pointed me towards dosing nitrate and phosphate and overfeeding to dirty up the tank some and so that is what I've begun this week. I also have a lot of pineapple sponges and other filamentous rock cling-ons in low light areas.

Anyway, I took a few samples of the sludge itself and looked at it under the microscope and its always full of tiny spicules that someone on another page identified as sponge spicules. I suspected they were either a sponge or algae, and they basically clump together with other detritus and "stuff" and form the strings. I've looked at the strings of this stuff under magnification and included a video with what I believe is one dinoflagellete bopping around. I am hoping someone with more knowledge can take a look at the video and tell me if there is anything that need to work on eradicating, or any advice on how to move forward other than what I'm currently doing.

I also collected some of this debris and looked at several samples and they are all about the same, made up of the same stuff, more or less. Mostly the sponge spicules and some diatoms and somewhat rarely do I see a dinoflagellate moving around.

Video/photos are as follows:
1. Video of a concentrated hunk of sludge with LOTS of stuff going on
2. still photo of some sludge that I siphoned off and collected and allowed to settle in a bowl
3. Photo looking into the tank from the side, its not easy to see the sludge but you can see some of it clinging to the glass way in the back.
4. some type of algae I am guessing under the microscope
5. more of the spicules that seem to be all through the water column

I'm looking anything constructive that may help my tank including any ID of microscopic critters/algae/dino/diatom/etc.

I must add, my filter sock fills up SO quickly with the sludge. In the past I've dosed Dr. Tim's beneficial bacteria but it didn't do much. Any help is appreciated! IMG_8790.JPEG IMG_8784.JPEG IMG_0014.JPEG IMG_0024.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_0011.MP4
    6.7 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Let's see if we can get some of the experts in here to help you out.
#reefsquad

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And welcome to REEF2REEF btw! But if indeed chrysophytes (compare with pics online), you’ll probably want to bring phosphates down. Your LFS saying to raise them probably made it worse. Do you use RODI? Supposedly they use silicates much like diatoms do. Using RODI and ensuring you have zero TDS will help. Also, if you used dry rock, it’s possible that silicates could be leeching into the water as well. The fact that you have lots of pineapple sponges shows that you do have silicates as they, too, use silicates to form. I’d use some phosphate reducing media like phosguard or something similar. They remove phosphates and silica from the water.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice microscope pictures. Not sure what they are. Do you have any picture of them in the tank also?

welcome.

btw... I think it’s a change that it is sponge spicules, which is why I asked about pictures from in the tank. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back