ID Zoa / Palythoa please.

Bmusgrove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to ask for help ID'ing, but as a amateur I must learn to admit defeat and beg for help. I got this 4 inch wide rock with 3 types of corals. When I placed it in my tank, my hammers started pulling in and a couple of soft corals died. my zoos weren't affected. After I put more distance between this rock and my existing hammers, they started to recover. A little worn , but they are extending.
3 types . please note the pics are from a iPhone. Even with editing apps, I couldn't get the white balance right. First is a large (from dime to nickel size) disk with long tentacles and distinct glowing fluorescent green radial stripes. Each one seems to have one white strip. Second one looks like a small round disk, brown interior with orange tips. About the size of pencil erasers. The third is brownish in color, about the width of a pencil eraser with very long tentacles is in the center of the first picture. As long as if not longer than its green neighbors. What , if you can help, are these? Are they nuisance corals? Toxic and does not play well with others?

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palythoa mutuki (formerly Protopalythoa mutuki) AKA Giant Green Palythoa. These guys have some pretty high concentrations of palytoxin, in fact one of the highest concentrations, so be careful when fragging

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller one in the 1st pic looks like a Parazoanthus gracilis AKA Yellow Polyps which have lower levels of palytoxin but I'd still exercise caution just in case

OP
OP
B

Bmusgrove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palythoa mutuki (formerly Protopalythoa mutuki) AKA Giant Green Palythoa. These guys have some pretty high concentrations of palytoxin, in fact one of the highest concentrations, so be careful when fragging

I was afraid of that. I will have to get rid of them. I am a intelligent enough of a amateur to realize, I don't have enough experience to keep something that toxic.

Hopefully someone can also identify the brown with the orange tips on the disc / tentacles. that is complementary patter to several others I have and would like to keep it if my local store would help frag it. I can get several of those off the frag rock without having to get close to the large green ones.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Palythoa grandis or Palythoa sp. "singapura". Could also be another variant of Palythoa mutuki which has several growth forms and appearances

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back