Idea for a multi-purpose utilitarian set up for growing/selling corals. . .

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was think how could you optimize space but have EXTRA space for corals you are growing out/are over stock/are not for sale. . . this is what I came up with:

1681925327453.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are plenty of ways to do this. Your setup looks like some that I've seen in the past. I'm curious why you chose to have LED lighting over the growout tank and T5s over the DT/sale tank.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are plenty of ways to do this. Your setup looks like some that I've seen in the past. I'm curious why you chose to have LED lighting over the growout tank and T5s over the DT/sale tank.
I am currently experimenting with LED grow lights. . . so far so good. . . may be cheap option but are very ugly haha not great for selling corals if you ask me. Was thinking if the bottom tank was "hidden" I could get away with effective but ugly lighting then use T5's on the actual display/selling tank.

And if I were lighting 6ish feet of tank I think T5's are an affordable option. . . though going all T5's or all LED's would be an option depending on budget etc.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME ReefBreeders has LED lights are a solid value. If a coral is used to T5s and the pictures are under T5s then there may be a visual color shift and adaptation period when the purchaser puts them under LEDs (which is what most reefers would have). Also if you change out the T5s once a year as recommended then at $25/light then the cost of T5s can add up over time. I have used T5s effectively in the past so I am not bashing them, just offering additional things to think about. Good luck with whatever you choose - it sounds like an exciting adventure!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back