Identifcation Of This Random Guy.

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2021
Messages
80
Reaction score
38
Location
Kalamazoo County
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While hunting for my Bubble Tip I found this thing, I don't think it's a aiptasia, but I did have one in my tank without knowing for about a week. It doesn't look like one either but I do not know any better. Please let me know. Sorry I am a newbie and do not know these things yet.

1619442012247.jpeg
1619442009749.png
 
That looks more like the fan of a tube worm. They are also called feather dusters.
 
Feather dusters a harmless filter feeder. I like them personally. Never seen a feather duster (tube worm) like that though.
I'll make sure to watch it and update, I had 2 baby feathers on one of my rocks but I ended up scraping the rock bc there were so many snails and stuff on it did NOT want. I would assume it spread from them. This rock was dry when I bought it so.
 
I also just noticed a 2nd one so I will be removing the rock to inspect it, just want to know what I am dealing with here.
 
Inkedimage2_LI.jpg

Feather dusters a harmless filter feeder. I like them personally. Never seen a feather duster (tube worm) like that though.
That looks more like the fan of a tube worm. They are also called feather dusters.

After some further inspection there is a decently long brownish tube and there are 2 "heads" leading off the tube. I also found my bubble tip, which is good.

Any thoughts on confirmantions?
 

Attachments

  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 41
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 64
Pest anemones dont have tubes and they squat when they retract. They don't withdraw into a tube.
Not sure what that fine piece of modern art is supposed to be.
What I see in your original pic is something like these
iu

there are 1000s of kinds of tube worms
 
Pest anemones dont have tubes and they squat when they retract. They don't withdraw into a tube.
Not sure what that fine piece of modern art is supposed to be.
What I see in your original pic is something like these
iu

there are 1000s of kinds of tube worms
Sounds good, thank you for the quick response
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new