Identification help please..

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my tank four or five months ago so it's early. All is well, but I'm trying to identify all of my species.. I have a couple of Clowns, a LTA, some candy coral, a frogspawn, and another anemone that I purchased as a "bulb anemone" but I'm unsure.. I have some pics of my start and was wondering if I could get some help in identifying the "bulb anemone"?

Thanks.
20150801_192049.jpg
20150801_192040.jpg

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure of the color but it looks to be extremely bleached, I've heard that is a bad sign. Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows a bit more

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure of the color but it looks to be extremely bleached, I've heard that is a bad sign. Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows a bit more

I mean it was that color at the shop.. I thought perhaps it was supposed to be clear?

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bubble tip. An extremely bleach dying one. It can come back to health with TLC. in the mean time I'd be calling your lfs yelling at them and never going back.

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm depressed.. =( I wanted a bubble tip sooooo badly for my clowns.. What are my steps to nursing to potentially better health?

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's extremely bleached. As far as I read the usual colors are red and green for the Bubble tip anemone. What kind of light are you running?

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bubble tip. An extremely bleach dying one. It can come back to health with TLC. in the mean time I'd be calling your lfs yelling at them and never going back.

It didn't have a color.. it wasn't even sold as a bubble tip.. they said it was a "bulb"... that's it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm depressed.. =( I wanted a bubble tip sooooo badly for my clowns.. What are my steps to nursing to potentially better health?

try posting in the clowns & anemone forum to better get the attention of anemone experts. You'll get faster help with bringing your poor nem back to good health there.

Mykesocalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my nems once a week. A squirt of mysis and about every third week a small chunk of raw wild shrimp. As far as nursing back to health I'm not certain.. I know most will say stable parameters, good lighting, flow and maybe a little feeding here and there. I would think start small with the feedings. I am no pro just suggesting what I think might help.

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick search (not research by any means) suggests that 2000 lux is goo for bta's, where each 27w led produces 2670lux... lighting should be good. But I will have to dive more into the requirements I'm sure.. a single place says 2000, but that doesn't mean anything I know.

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he was sold that way I would definitely ask for money back as you can see he seems to be transparent not just a milky white that's what is considerd bleaching . Seems they seen a new comer and moved some crappy stock to a unknowing buyer that sickens me . The fluval lights tend to be very dull leds meaning a lot of smaller leds which don't penetrate very far. May be why the nems are moving to the surface and reaching out .it may be enought light but not enough for a sick anemone . As long as the mouth remains firm you have a fighting chance but why risk when you can get a healthy one . Let us know how it goes and send a pic of the new anemone .

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to be that guy but did you get this at pet co? They're famous for the bleached out bulb anemone shananagins. Hope it gets better

OP
OP
Jason Briggs

Jason Briggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to be that guy but did you get this at pet co? They're famous for the bleached out bulb anemone shananagins. Hope it gets better

Actually no.. At our little local pet store. Our Petco and Petsmart around the Burlington, VT Area don't deal with saltwater.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back