Identify dying SPS please

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2020
Messages
89
Reaction score
103
Location
England
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm still fairly new to LPS and SPS and i was given a cheap SPS to test how my tank is doing.

I'm new to testing because before I only kept soft corals so I'm still getting used to doing tests and am purchasing testing kits etc. I know it would be much easier to diagnose my problem with tank parameters, I was more looking for info on what coral this is so i can research it and if the coral looks healthy.

I think it's a birdnest coral but anything specific on this type of coral would be greatly appreciated so I can research it. The coral has grown a fair amount since I got it 3 months ago but about 3 weeks ago I changed my salt to RS purple bucket to RS blue bucket and started dosing All For Reef to maintain a constant alk and trace elements

Since then the coral's green polyps and brown body has changed a fair amount. I posted a picture of what it was like when new and how it looks now. Any and all input is appreciated. The polyps that were green seem more black now and the skeleton feels more exposed

Tank age: 5months
Salinity: 1.026
Alk: 7.9-8.1 (hanna)
calcium (not certain but around 440 according to red sea test last week)
nitrate: 30
phosphate: --waiting for delivery of test kit


Thanks all and I appreciate I didn't make this easy for you to help



temp: 77f
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-04 at 20.30.30.jpeg


WhatsApp Image 2020-12-04 at 20.27.59 (1).jpeg
 
pocillipora, one of the easier sps to keep. Just make sure to keep your alkalinity and all parameters for that matter stable. A young tank just tends to be less stable and have more fluctuations.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new