Identify dying SPS please

ThatsNoMoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm still fairly new to LPS and SPS and i was given a cheap SPS to test how my tank is doing.

I'm new to testing because before I only kept soft corals so I'm still getting used to doing tests and am purchasing testing kits etc. I know it would be much easier to diagnose my problem with tank parameters, I was more looking for info on what coral this is so i can research it and if the coral looks healthy.

I think it's a birdnest coral but anything specific on this type of coral would be greatly appreciated so I can research it. The coral has grown a fair amount since I got it 3 months ago but about 3 weeks ago I changed my salt to RS purple bucket to RS blue bucket and started dosing All For Reef to maintain a constant alk and trace elements

Since then the coral's green polyps and brown body has changed a fair amount. I posted a picture of what it was like when new and how it looks now. Any and all input is appreciated. The polyps that were green seem more black now and the skeleton feels more exposed

Tank age: 5months
Salinity: 1.026
Alk: 7.9-8.1 (hanna)
calcium (not certain but around 440 according to red sea test last week)
nitrate: 30
phosphate: --waiting for delivery of test kit

Thanks all and I appreciate I didn't make this easy for you to help

temp: 77f
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-04 at 20.30.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-04 at 20.27.59 (1).jpeg

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pocillipora, one of the easier sps to keep. Just make sure to keep your alkalinity and all parameters for that matter stable. A young tank just tends to be less stable and have more fluctuations.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back