If I would have known dinos existed I’m not sure I would have gotten into this hobby.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV size - 3watt per gallon
flow thru UV - 2x to 3x total tank volume

UV took 2-3 days to remove dinos from my live rock. About 1-1.5 months to remove amphidinium dinos on the sand by dosing silicate. Dino’s really aren’t that big of an issue when you have the right equipment needed for it.
I don’t recommend raising Po4 and No3 to overly high levels - maybe < .1 and 5-10ppm.
Do not vacuum the sand.
Thank you for this info. It looks like I’ll need to invest in a UV sterilizer then if I want to bring my tank to the next level and not have to ever worry about dinos again.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely get an ID on the dinos because that certainly seems to help in getting the best treatment and you'll probably end up at least giving a UV a shot...
Ok I’ll check on Amazon, some people have suggested i could find a cheap microscope on there. Then I can go with the UV sterilizer. Thanks for your help

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need an expensive one. You can get them cheap on Amazon. I think treating is an exercise in frustration until you get an ID.
I completely agree with you. I feel like I’m shooting blind at these little suckers. I need to find out exactly what I’m dealing with if I’m going to win the battle. Thank you

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV size - 3watt per gallon
flow thru UV - 2x to 3x total tank volume

UV took 2-3 days to remove dinos from my live rock. About 1-1.5 months to remove amphidinium dinos on the sand by dosing silicate. Dino’s really aren’t that big of an issue when you have the right equipment needed for it.
I don’t recommend raising Po4 and No3 to overly high levels - maybe < .1 and 5-10ppm.
Do not vacuum the sand.
We’ll crap…..3 watts per gallon! I’m out and I only have 200 gallons total. I feel for you guys with the big tanks! I’m going to BRS now to order ten more 55 watt units to be safe! I might have to add another room to the back of the house to fit them all in! Ha

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t. I wasn’t sure which one to buy for my tank size. I read that if the dinos go away at night that my tank could be a good candidate for a UV sterilizer. And they definitely do diminish at night in my tank, they’re probably the type of Dino that disperse into the water column when the lights go out.
Green killing machine UV, the UV must be inside the DT to be effective

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll crap…..3 watts per gallon! I’m out and I only have 200 gallons total. I feel for you guys with the big tanks! I’m going to BRS now to order ten more 55 watt units to be safe! I might have to add another room to the back of the house to fit them all in! Ha
I was just checking the prices on the 100+ Watt IV sterilizers in they’re in the thousands of dollars. I was hoping they would be a bit cheaper than that. That’s a big investment for a hobby I’m not sure if I want to stay in if this doesn’t work on the dinos. Would a lower wattage than 3 per gallon work do you know?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just checking the prices on the 100+ Watt IV sterilizers in they’re in the thousands of dollars. I was hoping they would be a bit cheaper than that. That’s a big investment for a hobby I’m not sure if I want to stay in if this doesn’t work on the dinos. Would a lower wattage than 3 per gallon work do you know?
I'm not sure about the UV size but I've also heard dosing hydrogen peroxide can also be effective

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was being a Jacka** of course smaller is okay!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Is there a specific strength of UV I need for my 45 gallon tank?
The cheapest 9watt one works up to 50 gallons so you would be good. This is what I used and it helped battle Dino’s so drastically is recomend

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this kind of be like carbon dosing or is this different? I tried carbon dosing and it didn’t work at all.
No, hydrogen peroxide would be killing the dinos (I haven't needed to try it so I can't speak to the effectiveness). You definitely don't want to carbon dose because that lowers your nutrients.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest 9watt one works up to 50 gallons so you would be good. This is what I used and it helped battle Dino’s so drastically is recomend
This is great news, thank you! I’m going to look into it right now.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350586B9-55C0-449D-B17D-1472270E501D.jpeg

0BFDFA6B-E4F2-43EC-A533-D7B09BD7373F.jpeg

This is on a 220g system

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, hydrogen peroxide would be killing the dinos (I haven't needed to try it so I can't speak to the effectiveness). You definitely don't want to carbon dose because that lowers your nutrients.
Ok good to know. I’ll do a bit of research on here to see what I can find out about peroxide. At least I have a few new options to try to eliminate these sucker! Thank you

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will be getting one of these straight away. It can’t hurt to have one, dinos or no dinos.
Just be wary of which UV you buy the GPH must be low to kill Dino’s , I’m not sure if that one would work in this case

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos been pretty much solved with plenty of people successfully getting rid of it. I am surprised your research hasn't shown you the cause and the treatment. Usually just manual removal and raising nitrate / phosphate + adding biodiversity will do the trick.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back