If its not one thing its another

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok folks how do I get rid of this alga. It turns brown when the lights come on. The tank is 8 months old.
If it is not algae, still how do I get rid of it.
Tank parameters are below:
Salinity 1.206
Nitrate 2-5ppm (hard to tell with salifert test kit. I refuse to use my Hanna test)
Phosphate is 0.08 (not sure if that high enough to cause this alga)
Alk: 9.3
CA: Ask me when my Trident returns from Neptune
Mg: Ask me when my Trident return from Neptune

GHA.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like brown hair algae to me. Your nitrates are ok but the PO4 is a little high. Because the algae is consuming nitrates and phosphates, my guess is your numbers are even higher. I’d remove as much as you can by hand on a daily basis. Also, you could turn off the lights for a few days. Most corals can handle that. You’ll need to figure out how the PO4 rose so you can correct it. Over feeding or something dying in the tank are the usual suspects. I’d do some water changes to bring your numbers down. What do you use for nutrient export?

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a skimmer, I use carbon, I do water changes every two weeks. I stopped using my gfo because my po4 was really low at one point I guess I can bring it back online.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do manual removal, feed less, and maybe set up a fuge. Also water changes would help like mentioned above. What tank size and stocking list?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, manual removal is best. Control feedings to help bring po4 down a bit. It is a type of hair algae. Quite common to be honest. I usually go with liquid vibrant. It takes around a month to clear up. Some have success with vibrant while others don’t.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your tank is large enough add a Magnificent Foxface. I had a major hair algae problem which he solved. Now I feed him nori on a clip.
I have a 210 but I also have 4 tanks Yellow, Blue, sailfin, Bristletooth. I feed twice a day. The first feeding is pellet and flake the last feeding is 2 cubes of something I try to mix it. Mysis and some type of greens.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As mentioned, manual removal is best. Control feedings to help bring po4 down a bit. It is a type of hair algae. Quite common to be honest. I usually go with liquid vibrant. It takes around a month to clear up. Some have success with vibrant while others don’t.
I could try vibrant. I was going to get a CUC. My current Cuc is like 5 snails for a 210 lol maybe 4 snails and a crab.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back